Boeing 747 turning radius

The B757 turning radius is too large to be able to exit a runway at a 50 to 90 degrees angle. I was hoping that the latest mod would fix that

Since I am not a B747 in real life, I am assuming that real jumbos may have the same turning radius that the captain can handle with pedals

Is there a way to exit the runway at a 50 to 90 degrees angle when you have only a Logitech 3d Extreme joystick? Thanks for your advice

J-Louis

J-Louis Belard, 6 miles SW of KGAI

Dell XPS,8930, I-7 9700, 32GB DD4,

512 SSD, 2TB HD, 6GB GeForce GTX 1660

Have you tried differential braking? It's not mapped by default but you can map the left and right brakes to joystick buttons or keyboard keys. I have a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle and mapped the paddles to the individual left/right brakes.

I haven't flown the 747 but it works for me on other aircraft; the CJ4 and King Air are a couple where I needed additional oomph when turning at times.

Edited by jf1450

Transport category jets actually have two steering inputs - the tiller, which has full authority up to around 60 degrees either side of center typically, and the rudder pedals, which have authority limited to typically 5 degrees either side of center. All taxiing is done with the tiller, except for long straight stretches like the journey to the reef runway at PHNL.

The 747, specifically, has an additional feature to allow for tighter turns - the aft main gear bogies are also steered, by the tiller, and turn to allow sharper turns without scrubbing the aft tires. This all happens without any special pilot input other than the input on the tiller. The C-5 Galaxy had something like that too, except that the pilot had a switch on the center console that, when activated, allowed the aft bogies to free caster, which resulted in them turning in the opposite direction as the nose wheel all by themselves - exactly what happens on the 747, except that on the C-5 it is separately activated and not automatically invoked with the tiller. The C-5 can make a turn without the caster activated, but the radius will be larger and the tires on the aft bogies may scrub (be dragged sideways).

The A-380 probably has a system like either of these as well, but I have not looked into it. The reason I know what I know is that I flew the C-5 for 9 years, and we had some 747 guys in our unit as well.

All of this may or may not be modeled in a PC based flight simulation. I will have to take a look at it in 2020 and Xplane to see if the aft gear turns. Unless you are dealing with a C-5 simulation, it is all automatic and works with whatever you have set up to be the tiller. If you set nose wheel steering to your yaw axis, whatever that may be, it should all work when that control is moved.

Turns out that the steering on the aft bogies IS in fact correctly modeled in FS2020 (although not at all in XP11), at least visually. None of this really matters right now since there is apparently NO way to set up nose wheel steering other than with the rudder pedals; ie, no nose wheel tiller axis. This is a very serious omission on the part of whoever created this, and more or less makes the large jets unusable, at least in any realistic terms. Hopefully they will fix it, because the animation of the aft bogie steering is already there and very good.

What is your current auto rudder setting? I wonder if it would have any effect on what is being described?

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Thank you all! I guess I will try to get out of the runway using a 30 degrees angle

J-Louis

J-Louis Belard, 6 miles SW of KGAI

Dell XPS,8930, I-7 9700, 32GB DD4,

512 SSD, 2TB HD, 6GB GeForce GTX 1660

The reason I know what I know is that I flew the C-5 for 9 years, and we had some 747 guys in our unit as well.

Maybe you gave me a ride or 2 when I was in the 82nd and then the 160th. :) That was many, many moons ago.

Edited by jf1450