FSX hangup-crash

SSI01

Greetings all. I have been over the stickies posted above several subforums in the hope what's already there, although in some cases maybe a little dated, may be of help in fixing this but I don't think I've found anything that applies.

I've got a problem w/my FSX installation in that I will start the thing and get as far as being in the aircraft at the EOR and when the display will hang up while still in the cockpit, then CTD with a small dialog box saying a fatal error has been encountered - then FSX will automatically restart and the entire cycle will repeat. Since I have a few copies of this sim on my machine, and this is common to all of them, I'm suspecting the computer system itself and not the sims.

I am running FSX Deluxe edition on this setup:

Windows 7 Home Premium - SP1

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor, 3.00GHz

12.0 GB RAM

64-bit OS

Joystick is a (maybe) year-and-a-half old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. No problems w/that device ever.

I access the sims through a desktop file containing shortcuts. Up until about a week ago there was no problem whatsoever with that access system. Now whether I use the .exe file in the sim itself or the shortcut in the desktop file, the situation occurs.

If I could figure out where the event log is located I'd take a look in there and see when the last time was FSX crashed, and then see what the machine has to say about its diagnosis.

Within the last week I've also lost access to my FS9 sim, the computer tells me to log in with administrator privileges and try again. I've tried opening that as an administrator but have been refused login. That's a separate issue.

In another thread I saw something about reinstalling uiautomationcore.dll and am also wondering if that has somehow been corrupted and needs to be reinstalled - and if there is a commonality of use of that .dll between FSX and FS9, and whether a reinstall would cure this issue.

I'm stalled and at a loss, need help.

Edited by SSI01

Note down the time of the crash. Then right-click on your Start button and select Event Viewer. In Event Viewer, select Windows Logs, and under that Application. Scroll to the time of your crash and there should be an Error message. Copy the contents of that message and post it here.

Jorgen

The time of this error coincided exactly with the latest uncommanded lockup/shutdown - 138PM 5/6/21:

Faulting application name: fsx airliners 1950s.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name: weather.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb59

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00015443

Faulting process id: 0x12a4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d7429e395f36cc

Faulting application path: G:\FLIGHTSIMFSX-G\FSX Airliners 1950s\fsx airliners 1950s.exe

Faulting module path: G:\FLIGHTSIMFSX-G\FSX Airliners 1950s\weather.dll

Report Id: d6275f07-ae91-11eb-a6bd-0002b360dadc

This:

Exception code: 0xc0000005

means that something - most likely an incompatible or badly programmed add-on - is attempting to write to an area of RAM where it has no access rights. There are no pointers to which the culprit is, you'll have to isolate it yourself.

But, the fsx airliners 1950s.exe sure springs to mind.....

Jorgen

I see what Mr. Z has sent for consideration and will give that a try. I DO have that in the sim. The other thing I have that may be involved is REX SkyForce 3D. I'm including that since there's an obvious "weather" connection with it, and it can not be duplicated to run in the number of copies of FSX I have, I've already checked with the makers who've answered in the negative, it's meant for just one copy of FSX.

I'm going to try deleting the FSUIPC.4 plus the REX Sky Force 3D, and give things a try with that. Will report results. If we still get this problem on this end, I may need to ask how I get around the FSX Airliners 1950s.exe thing.

A quick question re: that FSUIPC folder. It's got these files in it:

FSUIPC4 Airliners 1950s.ini

FSUIPC4 airliners 1950s.log

FSUIPC4 airliners 1950s_prev.log

FSUIPC4 Install. log

FSUIPC4.DLL

FSUIPC4.ini

FSUIPC4.log

FSUIPC4_prev.log

I've pulled them all out. I'm asking this question because I thought there were some rudimentary weather radar/traffic displays in some aircraft panel folders that also use FSUIPC4 to run, aren't there? Will pulling these files take away those radar displays? Can some of these be left in the folder and others removed so at least the radar continues to run?

I'm not that worried about real-world weather because when Microsoft ended so much of the support they used to give us for FS9/FSX/etc, they took the Jeppeson site with them as well. That means we have to provide our own RW weather if we want it. There is no way to do that short of finding a weather utility that can be used in many copies of FSX, and one of those does not exist. Ergo I'm not concerned w/real world weather beyond what I can simulate using what is in FSX to begin with.

BTW this removal has so far resulted in a perfectly smooth-running FSX Airliners 1950s sim.

Edited by SSI01

Why not just uninstall (or disable) your FSX_Airliners and the associated weather.dll?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

My thoughts were running toward just pulling the weather.dll file, the question is, will that affect the "canned" weather one gets w/FSX, or does that relate to weather one downloads from the net?

I wish I could think about uninstalling that "airliners" copy of FSX; thing is, my current setup of specific .exe files for each copy of FSX ran just fine for over five years until this problem started in the last four weeks or so. I have copies of the sim for airliners in 10-year spans from 1940s up to the 2020s. Flawless performance until recently.

I want to run a few more tests of other copies of the sim to see if the same problem is identified in each copy, or if it changes from copy to copy. For folks who run more than one copy of FSX for whatever reason, this research may prove enlightening.

A little progress report - I removed the "FSUIPC4.dll" files from "FSX Airliners 1950s" and no problems have recurred. In every other iteration of the sim, since removing those files from the 1950s sim I've had the others come up with the scenery library areas reinstallation screens that are common with a new installation of the sim; at every instance I've just clicked "no" to running "FSUIPC4.dll" in the subject sim and it runs fine. Not a hitch. May be on to something here.

I still occasionally experience with some of the sims a sudden stoppage of the sim w/it minimizing to its logo at the bottom of the screen; a click on "enter" results in the sim returning to full screen in "paused" mode; a click on "P" results in the sim picking up and running as before and it will do so for up to an hour before repeating this. My FPS is set at 29 or 30 depending on the sim, and I'm wondering if the graphics processor is "choking" a little from input and is taking a quick rest to clean out its bottleneck, although there is no slowdown in frame rate prior to the quick "stop." I've also noted this seems to happen after I've not made a control or keyboard input in a few minutes, nor have I changed the view. I'm wondering if "Away from Keyboard" seems to be the culprit, since I've read in some OSs the OS will read inactivity on the screen for a certain time as the operator being away from the keyboard which will prompt the machine to go into "sleep" or standby mode.

Also - I have a question re: the "pause on task" switch in the config process for the sim when first starting it up and configuring it. Does this mean the sim will pause if the sim screen is minimized for some reason while the owner performs some other task on the keyboard before returning to the sim? Or does it mean the sim pauses with no input whatever from the player but instead pauses because it senses an activity taking place such as an unscheduled antivirus or antimalware program update - or one of those pesky pop-up ads from an installed program? That is, does it pause on its current task due to some input from the sim player - or from the computer OS - or both?

So did you multiple instances of FSUIPC in FSX? You should only have one as i understand it? Is it listed as 'trusted' in your FSX cfg.?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Yes, it is. Never had an issue with ANY of them for any reason until recently. Does one installation of FSUIPC4.dll cover all copies of FSX, I wonder?

I've had the sudden "drop off" (minimizing) of the sim happen many times, and have easily restored it immediately thereafter many times as well but never a CTD like this. Hopefully this individual removal of the program describes the fix.

Further checking into posts put up in 2010 show this problem of the program suddenly disappearing from the screen to its icon at the bottom, clicking on the icon or hitting "enter" key to restore the program, and then striking the "P" key to get the sim back into action is something many people have attempted to solve in many ways but have never been able to find a fix for. I see repeated references to this pause perhaps being something that seems to be engineered into the program for some reason. I've never seen anyone write about spending 18 or 20 hours at the keyboard on a very long range flight, for example, and having the sim keep running all that time without interruption. There's a "cutout" in there somewhere.

Question: Does "weather.dll" control the programmed, "in-sim" weather or is it used in conjunction with downloaded weather?

Edited by SSI01