Digital input for aileron controls

In trying to solve my uncontrolled roll problem, I again checked my mapping. When I pulled up the mapping for my MS Sidewinder

force Feedback 2 joystick, I noticed the following note in the "remarks" section on the right side of the Controls sreen when I clicked on the assignment for L & R ailerons (Axis X). The note says "Digital input should be mapped on a key or button." No other setting that I can find comes with that message. Never noticed that before.

What the heck does that mean?

It means that the L & R aileron control you're assigning to an axis should be assigned to a key or button press.

Clear that assignment and re-assign your x-axis to the aileron axis control instead.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I read in a prior post that "digital" input means the control is On or OFf, not analog. This doesn't make sense for ailerons controlled with a joystick. When I map the ailerons to the X Axis, any movement of the joystick turns the ailerons "on" or "off." That's what has been causing the uncontrolled rolls. When I map the ailerons to buttons, they work and there are no uncontrolled rolls. But this renders the joystick useless for ailerons. How do I change this? I have re-mapped the ailerons to the joystick X Axis of course, but it still is operating in an "Off/On" function. The joystick calibration shows it operating normally in the X Axis.

I must be doing something wrong.

Search in Controls for All, and under Primary Control Surfaces set AILERONS AXIS to your joystick.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64