Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Benefits of Paying Attention

Default The Benefits of Paying Attention

So about 2 weeks back or so my lil lappy started getting clunky and the stuttering most have experienced became the norm for me right up until the dreaded CTD. Crap, I figured after many months of wonderful flying and watching and reading about others trials, crashes and tribulations I figured well my number came up as after I would flight plan and click Fly the bar would load load load then just as it was done loading bam CTD, facepalms. Now what? OK my lappy is 2+yrs old, I knew my machine was gonna be pushing the limits i7 1060x nowhere enough ram yadda yadda yadda. First thought, virus ugh... Instead of coming in here crying and lambasting Asobo or Microsoft because they are easy targets and asking what do I do heeeeelp I took a step back and went over some of the threads here in my head as I like to stay up to date on things and remembered a post on one of the CTD threads from Plainsman I believe making a simple comment about Flight Simulator needs to have the current windows updates and that can cause CTD's so I went hmmmmm I wonder as I dont remember my puter doing its normal updating like it was. Thats what really sent me down the virus rabbit hole to no avail so I checked windows updates. There were 8 of them pending download so what did i do? You guessed it pressed the download button and...........nothing it wouldnt download..FFS now what? ok deeper down the virus rabbit hole all the way to nothing so i put it away for a week and did other things. Decided to look at it on Sunday and after poking around the net I found something saying windows wont update unless you have 14g of space. so it told me how to check on disk space, holy eff balls 3G free basically maxed out with nowhere enough room to update windows and the gears started clicking. So after several minutes of clearing space i finagled 17G free and was like well alright lets go. Went to check windows update and Bill Gates already had the boys downloading and installing so all that was left after they updated was to fire up Flight Sim and see what happens...Well whadda ya know program loaded normally right into the flight page and beyond and Ole Mike is back amongst the clouds and moving metal around...Anyways thanks to all the computer experts on here and heres the morale of the story...Check you s*** before you go crying about Asobo and Microsoft, they aint perfect nor is this sim but if you pay attention you just might learn something.

Very good work to diagnose the possible problem and get the updates working. Now that Windows has updated and maybe the FS too, you might want to check your free space again. Anything under about 20 Gb is not enough and you are likely to see more problems soon. If you can find stuff to delete, go for it. This includes old updates in your Download folder, old games you never want to play again, and other such things. Hope you can enjoy more time with the flight simulator!

Pat

The post by the OP is an important one, which simmers who are having chronic problems loading or running MSFS need to read. Some folks are annoyed to be told that others are not experiencing the same problem and that therefore the issue cannot be intrinsic to MSFS. It must be local, and the solution is to be found in their computer hardware or settings. Understandable that message this is often not well received, but it is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Some folks are annoyed to be told that others are not experiencing the same problem and that therefore the issue cannot be intrinsic to MSFS. It must be local, and the solution is to be found in their computer hardware or settings. Understandable that message this is often not well received, but it is reality.
    Completely wrong.

If software works for some it is no "reality" the problem must then be the user.
    You can base this assumption on software that is working well for the majority.
    When software is causing problems for the masses, it tells you the software is unstable.
    Mark Daniels

It has happened to me often that applications were running fine and the next week it started crashing. Most of the times it was a conflict with other apps and after removing them everthing worked fine again.
    Asobo has made some mistakes but it's running without problems for months.
    I'm no member of the lucky few club but part of the majority.
    17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher12 View Post
    Completely wrong.

If software works for some it is no "reality" the problem must then be the user.
    You can base this assumption on software that is working well for the majority.
    When software is causing problems for the masses, it tells you the software is unstable.
    Would you like to quote some figures from reputable sources that show how many are having problems and how many are not.

This argument has been going on for a long time, but I have yet to see the figures showing how many "the masses" are, and how many the "some" are.

I have a bit of a scientific mind, and if I see the figures I will accept the result.

Hal
    Alienware Aurora R8, I7-9700K, 32g memory, 1t NVMe boot drive, 2 - 1t SSD for MSFS, 1t SAT drive for storage, RTX 2070 Super 8g,

Don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Don't hold your breath.
    I'm not.
    Alienware Aurora R8, I7-9700K, 32g memory, 1t NVMe boot drive, 2 - 1t SSD for MSFS, 1t SAT drive for storage, RTX 2070 Super 8g,

Default re customer philosophy with respect to MSFS 2020 ...

This was my reply to a thread about "class action lawsuit" for "poor project management" re MSFS 2020 (on flightsimulator.com), it represents my feeling generally about this "product" :

Agree with many of these individual complaints, as I was hit hard on 1.14.6.0, but in my opinion, this is a misjudgment. This is by no means an engineering-manufacturing project, it is a fluid creative-technical organism . I purchased the Premium Deluxe edition and a new gaming desktop setup in Aug 2020, with great anticipation. I’ve owned and enjoyed 5-6 different flight simulators since the mid-90’s. I find the learning process of MSFS 2020 stimulating. I did not expect “perfection” (whatever that is) at the onset. It is so immense and complex and evolving, that there will always be glitches. The great thing is that there is such a creative force behind this project, with ongoing interaction between the design leaders and the community (Developer Q & A video conferences), that there is continuous improvement and growth. I was disappointed in the degradation in performance in my system with 1.14.6.0, but I was able to solve some of these problems. At this point my continued satisfaction in engaging in this endeavor is well worth it. Thanks.
    Last edited by CBILL737; 04-29-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PEIRascal View Post
    Would you like to quote some figures from reputable sources that show how many are having problems and how many are not.

This argument has been going on for a long time, but I have yet to see the figures showing how many "the masses" are, and how many the "some" are.

I have a bit of a scientific mind, and if I see the figures I will accept the result.

Hal
    Read forums, any of them.

I’m simply tired of reading posts with people who have genuine issues with MSFS and the fanboys telling them because they themselves are not having the same problem it doesn’t exist.

Don’t bash other people if you have no idea how hardware and software works yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast