CH Products YOKE

NEBOJSA

I have a CH Products Flight Sim YOKE that has 3 levers on the right side, and a trim wheel on the left side. For a while now that trim wheel is giving me problems where it is difficult to set up.

You can set the aircraft trim properly for take off , but if the little wheel is not set properly GOOD LUCK in taking off.Sometimes it is hard to find a setting on the little wheel, so that when you pull on the yoke for a take off you actually take off.

Can that trim wheel be taken out from the yoke and the yoke still work?

Is there a replacement part for the trim wheel?

Nebojsa

Tom's right, I also use the left rocker for elevator trim, the right rocker for rudder trim. The trim wheel is actually for centring the elevator axis neutral position when calibrating the yoke, and shouldn't be used in the sim itself.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The "trim" wheel on the CH Products mechanically moves the elevator axis and is very coarse.

Saitek use to make a stand-alone USB trim wheel but now they are selling for $300.00 used.

Found this one for $79.99...

https://flightvelocity.com/products/flight-velocity-trim-wheel?currency=USD&variant=31335234338912&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-8H-zMCa8AIVwAutBh0e9AwIEAQYASABEgJM8vD_BwE

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

The 'vertical rocker' switch is a two position switch; up and down. If memory serves, you can assign a function to each direction.

Alan 👍

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

OK i see now what you mean bye vertical rocker. The left vertical rocker is set for elevator trim and it is used to set the proper trim for take-off bye looking at the pedestal.

The problem is, that alone wont let me take-off unless the mechanical trim wheel is set to centre or neutral position. If the trim wheel is set well above centre i can take-off almost vertical.

If the mechanical trim wheel is set well below centre, i can pull on the yoke all you want, you are not going to take-off.

So the problem is ,the mechanical trim wheel .

nebojsa

That big wheel is NOT a trim adjustment at all. It is a rough adjustment thats used to center the controls. I've used it once only, never again.

Normally the yoke is set up & calibrated using the normal Windows or the sim's calibration settings.

Trim is normally set up on the CHProducts yoke using the rockers on top of the yoke handles.

Those 2 toggle switches on the front panel of the yoke are normally used for flaps & gear up & down.

Assignments are done within the sim itself or by using the amazing FSuipc free addon that will allow you to set up the toggles far better.

I hope this explains.. I've been using the CHProducts yoke & peddles for many years now. Love it!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Some of these reactions are maybe a little extreme! That trim wheel can be quite useful.

The first thing I did when I got my yoke was to center that trim wheel, then get some white paint and paint the first little depression between the ribs on the rim that shows below the top of the slot when the wheel is centered. So I can very quickly center that wheel any time, just by turning it so the white spot almost, but not quite, disappears into the top of the slot.

Having done that, the wheel is quite useful for, as stated above, quick, coarse trim adjustments. In addition, the only way to use the full up/down range of your yoke is to use that wheel in conjunction with it, at least the way mine is calibrated.

August

I got my CH Products yoke from the recycle shop at my local refuse centre (the "tip"), was on the shelf, covered in dust, of the 3 levers on the right side, the 2 right-most ones were broken off. Bought it I think for A$15 (or it might have been $5). All the levers moved easily but the yoke shaft itself was very stiff. Has a USB connector. Took it home, put it on the shelf where it sat for a couple of years. Plugged it into my FS2002 and it registered correctly with all controls, I didn't need to do anything. But as I wasn't active, and didn't have a proper sim booth set up, I put it back on the shelf, given that the yoke was very stiff to move. Thought to dismantle it but was afraid it might have fancy stuff inside or springs that would go "sproing ...." and explode on opening. Tried silicone lubricant spray on the yoke shaft once but it didn't help much.

Last year, I thought "what the heck, it's broken now and if I break it more, not prob". So bit the bullet and dismantled. Was very easy, only a few screws in the bottom, and a nice surprise, the box is full of air. Only got a little circuit board inside. That left-side trim wheel is as the other guys have said, a calibration control in the first instance, I've never used it. I do use the left rocker buttons on the yoke handlebars, and they registered as such (if I remember, unsure) when I first plugged it in. Anyhow, I lubricated all the moving parts inside the box with Vaseline, and now everything moves very smoothly. It was a big improvement on the Logitech joystick I have (that cost me A$50 new some 5 years or so ago), as the yoke has very much more fine control. I, like others, love it, wouldn't fly without it. Re the 2 broken levers, I decided to try and restore them, by drilling a very fine hole into the tops (that were broken flush with the box surround) and gently fashioned some fine wire into a loop so that I could push the two ends of the loop into the hole.

That worked very well, I now can move those levers very easily. The middle lever registered automatically as the mixture control in my default Cessna, and I haven't changed that. I don't use the far-right lever. The left lever is the throttle. The trigger for me to dismantle the box was to drill two holes in it so that I could mount the yoke into a metal frame I rigged up when I set up my sim booth in my retired 40 year old Mazda 929 car. Got all that set up easily, and for no cost, and since then my sim experience has been great.

I've had the Yoke a few months now and never been able to figure out what's wrong with the trim wheels.... thanks to this thread I now know it's not my end ha

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

• 1 month later...