uncontrolled rolling

I have an issue with uncontrollable rolling shortly after takeoff. This only started several weeks ago.

Here are the facts:

1. Shortly after takeoff, plane reaches about 1,500 ft. Begins uncontrollable roll to left, usually diving into ground.

2. Happens using yoke, joystick, mouse, any aircraft.

3. Does not happen when using X Plane 11.

4. Have set sensitivity controls every possible way - no effect.

5. Does not happen when I let plane take off on AI settings but as soon as I switch off AI and try to fly, rolling starts again.

6. Is not weather related.

7. Computer is top of line gaming computer.

8. Have played with Assistants settings per someone's advice. No help.

9. Yoke/joystick seenm to be possessed by a demon - not controllable once this starts.

10. This did NOT happen when I first installed game.

11. I have not added an plug-ins, etc. Only using MS ForceFeedback joystick (old)or Logitech Flight Yoke. (new).

12. Have uninstalled/installed three times.

13. Had logitech rudder pedals, but don't use them. deleted files from system for now.

HELP!

John Templer

This may not be your problem, but you might also check that your fuel tanks start out with equal capacity on each side. An imbalance can cause rolling, though what I've experienced in that regard can be controlled (not as severe as what you describe), but needs constant correction until the fuel is balanced again.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Do you perhaps have manual trim wheels on the joystick/yoke, that have been bumped or moved unintentionally?

I have a CH Products Fighterstick and next to the joystick handle are two "rotary trim wheels for precise adjustment of ailerons and elevators". They are meant to be adjusted once and then left alone, as it sets the precise neutral point. Once or twice I found my aircraft doing what you're describing and after hours of troubleshooting, discovered that "someone" moved the trim wheels when cleaning my desk or playing around on my PC.

Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Must be a bug. I had exactly the same thing and another peson also. We were both with the Beechcraft King Air. Both restarted pc and it's not happened again. We both have very weak systems so seems to be happening wether or not you have a good set up.

thanks everyone for your suggestions. unfortunately no fixes yet.

Here are more details of my situation:

1)Yes, I have calibrated my controllers.

2) This problem is not related to any specific aircraft; it happens in which ever I try.

3.) This problem is not related to my joystick or yoke. It happens only on MSFS. The same controllers work fine on XPlane.

4) I have checked all the assignments, going to defaults on everything, etc.

5) It seems like an autopilot issue, but the C152 does not have an autopilot, and am careful to make sure the AP is off at all times no matter the aircraft.

6) However, as i said earlier, when I use AI to take off, everything works fine, until I switch off the AI and the problem starts immediately.

7) I don't see how it can be a trim preset, as it works fine until about 1k,500 ft. Then, it's as if some fore grabs the stick and forces it violently to the left. I can see it happening on the screen, even when my hands are off the controls.

Help!

Are you absolutely certain you don't have a Bluetooth device that you have removed but maybe is still remaining in your assignments?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

What are your controller sensitivity settings? I cured this roll behaviour with my CH Yoke by setting the elevator and aileron sensitivity to 50% and the dead zone to 10%. The aileron dead zone is the key, if you're happy with your existing settings.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

thanks. I just tried that, but no success. I will also add that sometimes when the plane is about to lose control I get a warning that says: WARNING Take Off Angle Too Low" or words to that effect. Then it rolls to the left and crashes. I cannot cure the "take off angle" problem, if there i really is one, with the pitch control.

Is your settings set to Modern or Legacy? I cannot remember where exactly to check that, but that sounds like what happended to me a few months back? I had to have it set to Modern
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I may have found the source of my problem but I can't figure out how to solve it.

I read in a prior post that "digital" input means the control is On or OFf, not analog. My joystick Control options state that ithe X Axis is a digital control; e.g., "or or off." It says to map to a key or button. s This doesn't make sense for ailerons controlled with a joystick. When I map the ailerons to the X Axis, any movement of the joystick turns the ailerons "on" or "off." That's what has been causing the uncontrolled rolls. When I map the ailerons to buttons, they work and there are no uncontrolled rolls. But this renders the joystick useless for ailerons. How do I change this? I have re-mapped the ailerons to the joystick X Axis of course, but it still is operating in an "Off/On" function. The joystick calibration shows it operating normally in the X Axis.

I must be doing something wrong.

I may have found the source of my problem but I can't figure out how to solve it.

I read in a prior post that "digital" input means the control is On or OFf, not analog. My joystick Control options state that ithe X Axis is a digital control; e.g., "or or off." It says to map to a key or button. s This doesn't make sense for ailerons controlled with a joystick. When I map the ailerons to the X Axis, any movement of the joystick turns the ailerons "on" or "off." That's what has been causing the uncontrolled rolls. When I map the ailerons to buttons, they work and there are no uncontrolled rolls. But this renders the joystick useless for ailerons. How do I change this? I have re-mapped the ailerons to the joystick X Axis of course, but it still is operating in an "Off/On" function. The joystick calibration shows it operating normally in the X Axis.

I must be doing something wrong.

You state that it says "X Axis" under controls. I'm using a Thrustmaster T 16000, but mine shows "Joystick L-Axis X" for the Ailerons:

Joystick Aileron.JPG

If I click on "Aileron Left (Roll Left)" then it says in the description that it's a digital input. I think you've just got the joystick mapped there rather than to the "Aileron Axis" like in my picture above.

As I pointed out earlier in his other thread.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

• 1 year later...

I have just downloaded X-plane 12. Used xp11 for ages no trouble. 

within 30 seconds of leaving the ground, my aircraft (various supplied with xp12) rolls sharply left and cannot be controlled. The plane flies into the ground. It happens with Cessnas, fighter jets, 737 and then I gave up!

this is so frustrating as I just paid £50 ($60) for something which is useless. 

can anyone help please?  I use a basic joystick, which I have done for a long time. I have an iMac with 16 gb memory and intel processor 3.2mhz. 

I don’t think X plane do refunds!

That doesn't tell me if you actually calibrated or not.

Does everything look normal on the calibration screen?

Try this: disconnect your joystick, start XP12, and use the keyboard to take off. What happens then?

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png