Properties that define how long an AI plane moves on runway before takeoff roll

Qballbandit

Good day,

It's been years since I last thought about addressing this, and am not keying in the right search criteria.

Would anyone be kind enough to explain what properties define how long a plane rolls until stopping, then starting the takeoff roll after clearance?

Some planes roll ridiculously long before the unrealistic stop, then punch out.

Is this something one can edit to shorten the length?

Thanks very much,

Neil

I've seen that, the only thing I can think of is the braking.

I have had AI never lift off as well once they start their takeoff roll. When that happens I normally find another AI of the same or similar model them edit the aircraft.cfg also use the air file from the new cfg.

I've had AI takeoff and fly straight and not turn when instructed by ATC, my simple answer is change the air file, one good all rounder is the default Boeing737-400, works with most aircraft.

When and if you edit an aircraft cfg, keep the contact points and lights section then change the rest, remember to make a backup of the original first though.

Col.

This is an example of one I changed a while ago.

You can see I kept the original Aircraft.cfg and named it COPY plus I kept the original air file.

On the new cfg you can see I kept the contact points and lights section then under the dotted line is from another of the same type of aircraft.

The original for reason mustn't have flown properly as an AI or maybe it was a flyable I don't remember, I also used the AI air file for the newly edited aircraft.

AC File.jpg

edited cfg.jpg

You can download a little utility here in the library called AirEd (godaired.zip) that'll allow you to open and edit .air files.

I have no idea what parameters define when an aircraft takes off and comes to a stop, but there are drag and braking parameters defined in an air file that could be what the Sim is using.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

it is determined in the aircraft.cfg file under [reference speed] .

AI is using the stall speed figures, flaps and clean, and multiplies the figures by 1.3.

flaps are not set on take off for any AI plane.

you manually can set the flaps, you must use the Explorer in AI, select the you want the flaps set and use the flap setting on your joystick.

there is procedure for it by using the function in the Explorer ..

to confirm the flap setting you must use the MAP of the Tools of AI.

you will see the planes take off in AI, using the flaps, as you would use it as a plane you fly.

in the name. air file the flap setting in record 1101 defines the approach and landing speed as well.

higher flaps, i.e. 0.9 and higher might not land the plane in AI at all and the plane is too high over the midpoint of the rwy length and just

initiates a go around ..

sincerely

g. kirschstein

@qballbandit

hi, just tell me your plane in question and i will fix it for you.

all of my planes, way over 1000 planes, amphibium , sea, jet fighter, wwi, wwii etc they ALL fly in all FS environments with the same

cfg and air file set files.

pilot controlled

autopilot ils approach

ifr vfr flights

seaports sea planes

AI

max speed up to 1 kts precisely

sincerely

g. kirschstein

Top Speed

even on Aircraft carrier the AI planes work.

sincerely

g. kirschstein

So are you saying you use the same cfg and airfile for all your ai aircraft?

One thing you may help me with, I used to have the settings saved but lost them.

I've had recently an ai aircraft takeoff and fly OK but on approach it starts to porpoise.

I've posted this on other threads as well, when I set a flight plan as IFR the aircraft flies and lands OK, but if I set the plan for VFR it flies OK till it gets to the destination then it makes an approach then flies of to neverland, any ideas?

Col.

Edited by ColR1948

GKKnupper,

That is a fabulous offer, but the issue is it's quite a few of my AI models that do this, and not sure you want me to send you buckets of planes. I have to admit, I just re-read your post above, and am not understanding most of what you are explaining I need to do.

To confirm - whatever your instructions, this will stop the excessive roll when taking the runway before an AI plans stops, then starts the true takeoff roll?

Neil

ColR1948

YUP !!

I use the ORIGINAL planes and modify

1. the aircraft.CFG file n I use a program to CORRECT all of the dimensions of the plane

ALL the REAL Values like MAX Weight are applied as well.

The planes fly in AI with full fuel

2. the name.air file I modify the air file to achieve the MAX Speed within 1 kt

3. The ORIGINAL TEXTURES are applied / used.

Sorry I do not know how to attach "name.jpg" pictures in here.

I use 4 airports, VERY adjacent to each other, KPBI, KLNA, KLNW, KBCT, F45 and 3 within 60 NM, KFLL, KMIA, KPMP as well.

KLNW is MY Seaport located right together with KLNA.

220 planes, NOT so called planes specially built for AI, are active at AI start up.

Too bad that I'm not smart enough to attach a picture of the AI Explorer and the DIFFERENT type of airplanes.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

@ColR1948

Hi,

"Well he says (ALL fly in all FS environments with the same cfg and air file set files.)

So why not just post the cfg and upload the air file then it would save us all sending files back and forth."

"this comment of yours shows your typical BRITISH attitude.

and Incompetence !!

I stated that I MODIFY EVERY CFG and AIR file to the CORRECT airplane specification !!

This means I BRAKE the CFG & Air files, IF the plane is a DIFFERENT model of the type to adhere to THAT special planes configuration.

It seems to me that you are not very proficient to understand how FS9 works and how the CFG and AIR files should be built.

OMG your comment, Sir shows a lot of INCOMPETENCE but a lot of it.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

OVER and out for you Sir Colonel on this subject matter, knowledge is power, incompetence is ignorance and arrogance.

Sincerely

@qballbandit

all of my planes, way over 1000 planes, amphibium , sea, jet fighter, wwi, wwii etc they ALL fly in all FS environments with the same

cfg and air file set files.

I'm quite enjoying this potential war but there's no need for the xenophobia.

It seems to me there's a language barrier here as this, to someone whose first language is English, does quite clearly say they all fly with the same config & air file...

The OP also stated that he doesn't understand most of your explanation. If you show a little more tolerance then perhaps everyone can benefit from your knowledge.