Thank you MSFS2020 for forcing me to learn how to overclock a card....

I've always shied away from overclocking, the fear as always been blowing the rig...... My gpu is the weakest link on my setup and have had endless problems with stuttering and bombing out in VR.... I did some research and downloaded MSI Afterburner and Kombuster spent some late hours and started overclocking.... This morning I flew from Paris to oxford in Ultra using screens in aspose to VR and I was amazed! it did stutter slightly over London at 6000 ft other than that it was very smooth. The bench test found a problem with the ram setup too so I went into Bios and fixed that... next after some needed food I will do some test in VR and see if that has improved performance wise..... My subconscious mind suspects there is a problem with virtual mixed reality app but I'm not smart enough to work that one out yet!!!! In short I'm well pleased it's as if I upgraded the graphic card already! I think it's time to start turning on live traffic and multiplayer which I turned off when I first installed the sim to eliminate distractions whilst I get use to the sim and the rig.......... It feels like it's been a long journey that's caused me many headaches and totally mugged my wallet... but you know what, I really love this sim!!!!!!!!! I'm confident I can hold out now until the market is flooded with high end cards after the cryptocurrency gold rush is over, hopefully by this summer as predicted by TechRadar........ Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Yup, I've ventured into overclocking as well, but on my processor side. Haven't done the card yet, but its really quite easy when you get down to it. Just make sure not to do it too much and get overheated - you don't want to have to buy a new card.
Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

I'd really like to learn how to do this.

When I tried to do the system overclock previously, it said that it worked. However I was not able to launch MSFS. Just fails and won't start.

The motherboard is a ROG Strix z390-e Gaming.

Processor is a Intel i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

I'd really like to learn how to do this.

When I tried to do the system overclock previously, it said that it worked. However I was not able to launch MSFS. Just fails and won't start.

The motherboard is a ROG Strix z390-e Gaming.

Processor is a Intel i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

Like Johnny said it's not hard... I did a few tweeks weeks ago and failed ha..... Yesterday I took in some overclocking card videos on YT ..... Like me i think it's the worry with most people that the rig will blow up.... Like most things with computers its a case of finding the sweet spot.. so tweaking in steps is wise i found rather than just sliding everything over to max.... Kombuster which works with Afterburner I found is great insurance it will run your overclocked settings and let you know if they are stable or not..... Warning from my experience it can take a very long time to find the sweet spot... in saying that I'm new to overclocking....... I did tweeks runs test tweak a bit more run more test and on it went into the small hours.......

Edited by daspinall

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

My system is quite weak-sauce, so I overclocked the snot out of everything. Luckily CPU overclocking is quite easy with Ryzen. GPU overclocking is also pretty easy.

Now memory overclocking beyond the XMP profiles have eluded me. Tried it once and I nearly screwed everything up. Since I don't have great memory anyway and therefore won't be able to obtain a substantial overclock, I don't think it's worth my time to try any more for now.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Disneyflyer if you follow the link and do a benchmark test from it only takes less than 5 mins, it will tell you which your weak points are. mine flew by except for the graphics card and a setting problem with the ram..... so I focused on the card being the known issue....

https://www.userbenchmark.com/page/guide#benchmark

Final results now and before overclocking the GPU ... Happy I took that route rather than sitting back and blaming MSFS2020 for everything... ;)

Spec.jpg

Edited by daspinall

I did that thing and it said I was running decent but could be improved on the graphics settings. Ill download that stuff later today.

The only thing that it said that could be improved dual + Channel XMP Bios Profile was enabled. Watched the video they had shared on how to do it and still cant find those slots to do it

Graphics.PNG

Memory.PNG

Edited by Disneyflyer

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

You turn on XMP on your motherboard it's for your ram "Extreme Memory Profile"..... if not sure google your motherboard and XMP and you should be fine, its just a case of turning it on to auto in the Bios......

Good news, it worked. I found the XMP part and then was able to overclock with the MSI Afterburner and Kombustor.

Gpu went from 76th to 98th percentile.

Memory went from 34th percentile to 94th.

I call that a win!

Appreciate the assistance you all have provided. Thank you very much!!

graphics2.PNG

memory 2.PNG

That's one hell of a result! good for you, and it's a good feeling too ;) .... When I bought my card they said it's factory tuned ready for gaming and FS2020 lol..... Edited by daspinall