Thread: Famous landmark is an office building??

Default Famous landmark is an office building??

Havent been flying much since the latest world update but saw the areas they did and wanted to check them out.

Flying over Paris looks pretty good except the Arc de Triomphe is a office building?? How did they manage to screw that up?
    I have my buildings set to high so I thought it would look somewhat good but it just shows as an office building on mine.

I cant be the only person that has this right??
    ....Signature not required for delivery....

Are you sure? it looks ok to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arc.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	226126

The “Grande Arche de la Defense” is an office building though, as it should be.

Regards
    Steve
    Last edited by g7rta; 04-19-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyflyer View Post
    Flying over Paris looks pretty good except the Arc de Triomphe is a office building??
    Have you downloaded the France & Benelux update from the Marketplace? The download button says "Buy and download" but it's actually free.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.28GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Im a complete idiot.
    I thought I had downloaded it but apparently I didn't.

Thanks for the reminder. Looks like it should now.

Thanks yall
    ....Signature not required for delivery....

Remember, it was originally mapped using computer AI from sat photos, without a human being involved. So the AI didn't see this was a special landmark, assumed it was a building like all the rest. It probably took humans looking over some major lists of the tens of thousands of very well known unique landmarkts, to double check whether Arc de Triomphe was modeled properly, or even just assume the AI got it wrong, and then substitute the "building" for a proper model!

Remember, this sim had water hiils and sunken bridges, sunk ships, and all sorts of funny business! Frankly, it's amazing that the AI didn't mess up 100x as many mistakes... it's just gonna take some humans doing care and attention to fix it all.

It's like Herc said. The combination of aerial photos and AI processing can be interesting. If you looked at places on Google Earth in the first years it did some strange things with buildings and roads and bridges. Especially in the perspective view.
    I enjoy seeing the results now with MSFS. pretty amazing how it covers everywhere. While there are a few places I would like to see the high quality done to, I am a happy customer for the most part. Now about those enormous downloads....

Pat

Trust me when I tell you, no one, either at Asobo or Microsoft, or the flight sim community, had any intention of disrespecting one of the most famous landmarks in the world. I live in Canada, and while it's rare for me to visit Europe, I've seen L'Arc de Triomphe at least three times. It's just the process of creating the FS terrain, and they knew to double check all the most famous landmarks with human eyes, and make the correction.