Thread: How to permanently disable anti-virus for flight simming?

Default How to permanently disable anti-virus for flight simming?

I'm using Windows 10 Pro and Prepar3d. So how do I *permanently* disable my pc from having to use Windows Security (Defender) and other anti-virus products?

Thank you.

Defender isn't doing a thing to affect your flightsimming.

Blog Entries

MSFS relies on an internet connection, turning off antivirus is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN... lets have less crazy talk lol
    ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*
    Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler
    Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 32GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*
    XFX RX 5600 XT Thicc III ULTRA-14GBPS 6GB Boost UP to 1750MHz GDDR6 3xDP *Overclocked*
    850W PSU
    HP Reverb G2
    CH Eclipse Yoke

Quote Originally Posted by daspinall View Post
    MSFS relies on an internet connection, turning off antivirus is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN... lets have less crazy talk lol
    He's using Prepar3d.

Most antivirus programs will let you put it into a "sleep" mode while you are using the Simulator. You will still be protected, just no scanning for bad things. You can also set exclusions to keep it from scanning P3D files. I don't think there is a permanent solution.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by oneleg View Post
    I'm using Windows 10 Pro and Prepar3d. So how do I *permanently* disable my pc from having to use Windows Security (Defender) and other anti-virus products?

Thank you.
    It takes a couple of registry changes. You can do it through the Group Policy Editor but far simpler is to download & install Winaero Tweaker. The version I installed has a dedicated and reversible 'Turn Defender off' button.

I did it through GP Editor for a couple of years just because I was so offended by the inbuilt re-enable behaviour. Ultimately though, I found that having Defender permanently off was a bit of a nuisance because I do occasionally connect with the rest of the world.

Security Center or Intelligence or whatever other fatuous name Defender now takes does a good job but its real-time protection absolutely hammers framerates & launch times in everything. Now I make do with checking after booting the PC that it's in the state I want. It only takes 3 mouse clicks.

(GP Editor also allows other useful modifications of behaviour -- such as proper sorting of filenames in folders -- all of which make Win 10 a more amenable OS. All I want now is permanently customisable folder shapes, sizes and background colours.)

D

Default Pro Version advantages

Don't know how long you have had Win 10 but it being 'Pro' version allows you to turn off a lot of the stuff that is running in the background. All assessible via Control Panel and it's sub-menus. Other versions of Win 10 (ie: Home) is not so easy to make changes as you will have to do REGISTRY hacks - which is dangerous. Look for YouTube videos on how to make changes to Win 10 Pro. Or if you like reading here is a link with lots of Win 10 tips and tricks: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/h...use-windows-10 . Most anti virus will allow you to NOT SCAN your simulator (when running) by including it in 'Exclusion' or 'Do Not Disturb' list. It's not safe to disable (or uninstall) your anti virus so NEVER do that. There are work arounds.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    Don't know how long you have had Win 10 but it being 'Pro' version allows you to turn off a lot of the stuff that is running in the background.
    But Realtime Protection (intervention scanning of all files being accessed) turns itself back on after a few hours. The OP asked how to turn Defender off permanently, implying that the automatic re-enable feature is the problem.

Other versions of Win 10 (ie: Home) is not so easy to make changes as you will have to do REGISTRY hacks - which is dangerous.
    I feel hack is a rather prejudicial word but in any case there's no need to edit the registry directly. I've suggested two alternatives, both of which are perfectly safe & legitimate. As in fact is editing the registry if you know what to do and why to do it.

Most anti virus will allow you to NOT SCAN your simulator (when running) by including it in 'Exclusion' or 'Do Not Disturb' list.
    I've found that adding my FS9 folder and all the addon folders to the Exclude list makes no difference at all. Realtime Scanning seems to ignore the list, which I guess is only applied to manually requested scans.

It's not safe to disable (or uninstall) your anti virus so NEVER do that.
    I don't think it's possible to uninstall Defender.

It's not safe to disable (or uninstall) your anti virus so NEVER do that.
    Fine on a standalone machine.

All the foregoing notwithstanding, my preferred solution is temporarily to turn off RTS & tamper protection as a part of my preflight routine. A few mouse clicks hardly constitute an onerous task.
    Last edited by defaid; 04-26-2021 at 11:38 AM.

If you get Avast AV (Free) you can set it to not scan programs running in full screen (which I guess we all run FS in). Avast Free works better than a lot of payware anti virus programs. It also has 'Exclude' option for specific folders. And it's 'smart' enought to only update itself (in background) when PC is not 'working'. I never had any problems with it and it blocks effectively and seamlessly without any 'drama'. It will 'nag' you to buy 'Pro' version but it will not quit working if you choose to not buy. I love Avast Free.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).