Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Community Folder Content Affect Load Time?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cianpars View Post
    Interesting thread. I always thought that a big community folder would slow down loading times, but it seems I may have been wrong. I will do some experimentation.

It would be nice if the sim could read a folder or two deep in the community folder really.
    Just do it! do the test
    yes it will take an hour of your time
    but do it! dont go by what others say

I did mine, and its perfectly clear the time was not only unchanged, but shorter with a comunity with many addons

Come on!
    if it were true that community affects time, the more you put in community the longer it would take,
    we know kids out there have tons in Community
    they should take hours to start the sim!????

ridiculous
    The sim roughly takes an average time between 2 and 7 minutes depending on your rig, not on how much you have in community

but enough talking

Facts Mr Watson, facts!
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

OK, I did the test and here are the results:

Empty Community folder: 2 min 35 seconds (to appearance of welcome screen).

Community folder with links to a small number of add-on files (planes, scenery fixes, etc.), which I selected using Add-on Manager (note: this great app places links to files -- not the files themselves -- in Community): 3 min 35 seconds.

Finally, the big one: with links to all 691 of my addon files loaded in Community: 1 hour 16 minutes and counting! I got tired of waiting.

To use a word seen recently in this thread, ridiculous indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    OK, I did the test and here are the results:

Empty Community folder: 2 min 35 seconds (to appearance of welcome screen).

Community folder with links to a small number of add-on files (planes, scenery fixes, etc.), which I selected using Add-on Manager (note: this great app places links to files -- not the files themselves -- in Community): 3 min 35 seconds.

Finally, the big one: with links to all 691 of my addon files loaded in Community: 1 hour 16 minutes and counting! I got tired of waiting.

To use a word seen recently in this thread, ridiculous indeed.
    Haven't played with it myself yet, but from reading it here and elsewhere, I do have to wonder if the bigger factors aren't number and type of add-ons vs simple number of gigabytes. A simple test of removing everything from the community folder and adding it back wouldn't necessarily account for this at all.

Not sure I follow you -- Gigabytes vs. number/type of addons? Regardless, the bottom line is: more stuff in Community equals longer load times -- by a LOT if you have a ton of addons (as I have demonstrated); less stuff equals shorter load times. Nothing new here, as most msfs users have discovered this for themselves.

Not sure I follow you -- Gigabytes vs. number/type of addons? Regardless, the bottom line is: more stuff in Community equals longer load times -- by a LOT if you have a ton of addons (as I have demonstrated); less stuff equals shorter load times. Nothing new here, as most msfs users have discovered this for themselves.
    Perhaps it takes more time to load a 3-4 gig scenery file rather then an 800KB file?

Just a guess

Edit-691 add ons?? Wow!!! That is a lot of add ons
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

Yes, of course: the bigger the file (and the more of them), the longer it takes to load. This is my point, in fact.

I do have a ton of addons, but as you will see from my post, I use only a few in any given flying session -- that's the beauty of using an addon manager. Typically my load time for MSFS is 2-3 minutes.

What I suspect is that the sim is focused more on indexing the add-ons at launch, rather than loading all of the data. Think of cataloguing all the books in a library. Noting the title, author and category is going to take about the same amount of time for each book, no matter how short or long each book is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    What I suspect is that the sim is focused more on indexing the add-ons at launch, rather than loading all of the data. Think of cataloguing all the books in a library. Noting the title, author and category is going to take about the same amount of time for each book, no matter how short or long each book is.
    Thats what I said as the Scenery Library in Fsx...
    I think you guys are wrong, I am not mad, have repeated the tests and will keep saying that other factors affect loading time, so much that they always vary, they are not exact loading times, it will depend on windows, xbox and msfs drivers accessing the servers, your ram, cpu other pc processes interfering etc.

There are 2 folders next to Official, Community and Manual Cache, none is affected at startup other than to read aircraft index to display in Hangar. The Manual Cache Folder works similar, you can have 60gb of selected areas but it wont read them and at startup, only when you are flying in that area and even so "load as needed" so as fps are kept high.

There is a thread in facebook msfs, which aside from the gamers irresponsible joking you can see a pattern in the replies. The time is more a less constant or varies with the pc rig, but all these kids have tons of mods installed. Some have read (as you people here) that size of community affects the time and say so, Its a mix of comments, but the pattern is for the vast majority with loaded community it takes a few minutes.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1019...3948940615331/
    Last edited by Kapitan; 05-08-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Well, of course there are many factors that affect loading times. I assume that this thread is a discussion of the effect of having a lot of add-ons in Community on load timeswith all other factors held constant. For a system as complex as MSFS, this is really the only rational way to deal with this issue. As I described earlier, for me the effect is huge and dramatic, with a heavily loaded Community folder slowing load times to a crawl, and others on this and other MSFS forums have seen the same thing (I don't know about facebook).
    BTW, regarding "all those kids with mods installed": Some of us kids are so old, we have kids that aren't kids any more!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123