Secondary tower frequencies not always active

TheRedBadger

Hi y'all,

Was wondering why sometimes extra tower frequencies at an airport however listed are not active? I annoyingly noticed at MCO when the same tower was speaking to both the West and East side on a pretty busy day. Same with LAX. I checked with ADE to see if the frequencies are properly labeled (airport name, no frequency outside the 118-135ish range) with the same going on.

This wasn't a problem with the O'Hare scenery I created sometime ago. (I would float in slew mode and I would notice the frequencies to contact would change as I move North to South).

Thanks!

Carlos Si

I really don't no the parameters behind this. It's odd as well with what planes land on what runway. I don't remember how the Sim chooses that. (No, not wind parameters. Weight and what not for parallels). All I know is that there's something there in the logic of the code that does it.

If you look at your O'scare airport, are the frequencies referring to a magnetic orientation at all? Like North: 118.535, South: 122.300, etc. Or perhaps there's some other variable that's being use to indicate what runways correspond to what frequencies.

Beyond that, you could check the airports in question using ADE for errors.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I don't know what the sim uses. In real life each airport will have its specific criteria for what freqs it uses. For instance, at KBJC (Rocky Mountain Metro, formerly Jeffco) they use 118.6 for normal tower operation. When things get busy enough (and, presumably, there are enough personnel present) they make 118.6 the freq for runway 12L/30R (formerly, and in FSX, 11L/29R) and 123.95 for 12R/30L. I don't think the latter is implemented in FSX, though.

In the case of a place like O'Hare, I'm sure the (real life) criteria are more complex, perhaps including traffic, time of day, winds, perhaps something else.

But, as I said above, I don't know what the (usually) simplified parameters might be.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 2 weeks later...
I really don't no the parameters behind this. It's odd as well with what planes land on what runway. I don't remember how the Sim chooses that. (No, not wind parameters. Weight and what not for parallels). All I know is that there's something there in the logic of the code that does it.

If you look at your O'scare airport, are the frequencies referring to a magnetic orientation at all? Like North: 118.535, South: 122.300, etc. Or perhaps there's some other variable that's being use to indicate what runways correspond to what frequencies.

Beyond that, you could check the airports in question using ADE for errors.

Hahahahah, O'Scare!

Not really though. I just created tower frequencies as in real life and the sim automatically assigned one to each runway.

One KLAS scenery had working multiple towers (two for the two 25/7s) and a third for the 1/19s. MCO doesn't seem to work... maybe if I cram some more?

I don't know what the sim uses. In real life each airport will have its specific criteria for what freqs it uses. For instance, at KBJC (Rocky Mountain Metro, formerly Jeffco) they use 118.6 for normal tower operation. When things get busy enough (and, presumably, there are enough personnel present) they make 118.6 the freq for runway 12L/30R (formerly, and in FSX, 11L/29R) and 123.95 for 12R/30L. I don't think the latter is implemented in FSX, though.

In the case of a place like O'Hare, I'm sure the (real life) criteria are more complex, perhaps including traffic, time of day, winds, perhaps something else.

But, as I said above, I don't know what the (usually) simplified parameters might be.

Yeah I wish that was better explained. I tried asking on fsdeveloper but it didn't get much attention.

THanks yal

Carlos Si

• 2 weeks later...
It was asked at the ADE forum a long time ago and Jim Vile said he had no idea how that worked, so that meant to me that it probably wasn't going to be figured out.

Oof. Yeah afraid so then if even Jim can't get it.

I could try to tower-pack!! A few of them are bound to work!

Thanks!

Carlos Si