Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FSdreamteam missing buildings

Agent00729,

I've never used "Addon Manager" since I began with simming more than 16 years ago and only now have I even heard about it's very existance. Instead I've been using the standard FS9 procedure for adding new sceneries and have never had any reason for trying anything else.

However, if you've never used this standard procedure before, it could amount to a bit of an adventure when trying it for the first time. So here goes:

For safety reasons I use a non FS9 related working folder into which I always unpack any new sceneries and only after I've checked everything and have gotten rid of any unessary ballast, do I begin with actual installations into my FS9 as follows:

First you place (copy/paste) your new scenery, possibly from your "safety" folder like I would have done, to where you normally store all your sceneries. Then open FS9 and on the very first screen you get to see, the one which has a number of selections down the left hand side and beginning at the top with: "Getting Started", you scroll down to "Settings" and select it by clicking on it. Then click on the "Scenery Library" tab to the right of it.
    You now get to see your scenery library, to the right of which you see an "Add Area" tab. After you have clicked on this tab you need to navigate to where you have stored your new scenery. Click on it's main (airport name) folder and a new window will appear quoting the directory path and below it the airport name, which can be edited if you so wish. Click O.K. and you will get to see "Scenery" and "Texture" in a next window. Click anywhere in the blank area of that new window and your new scenery will become directly visible and active in your scenery library. You're now done but you may wish to edit the Priority via the "Move Down" tab on the right.
    Now shut your FS9 down and re-start it. Then open any flight anywhere on earth and select "Go To Airport", in your case "KORD", from the "World" drop down menu. Your new Chicago-O'Hara airport should now be up and running normally.

Good luck and lets hear if you've now got it working correctly.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Agent00729 View Post
    Just the original software to run as it originally did on my machine when I purchased it. If it really isn’t worth the time, then that is sort of telling. All customers are customers, regardless if they are currently in the minority or not.
    I think the challenge is that the overall environment, between your machine, the payments processor and the supported operating system does not exist identically to the way it was when you purchased the software. TBH, I think running on a supported operating system is probably the absolute basic. Outside the hobbyist realm, if you're looking for support most places won't even talk to you if you aren't that far.

Your challenge isn't FS9 - it's Windows 7. At this site you'll get a lot of moral support for running on an outdated OS, but it's like running on Windows 3.1 when XP came out.

Cheers

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by hjwalter View Post
    Agent00729,

I've never used "Addon Manager" since I began with simming more than 16 years ago and only now have I even heard about it's very existance. Instead I've been using the standard FS9 procedure for adding new sceneries and have never had any reason for trying anything else.

However, if you've never used this standard procedure before, it could amount to a bit of an adventure when trying it for the first time. So here goes:

For safety reasons I use a non FS9 related working folder into which I always unpack any new sceneries and only after I've checked everything and have gotten rid of any unessary ballast, do I begin with actual installations into my FS9 as follows:

First you place (copy/paste) your new scenery, possibly from your "safety" folder like I would have done, to where you normally store all your sceneries. Then open FS9 and on the very first screen you get to see, the one which has a number of selections down the left hand side and beginning at the top with: "Getting Started", you scroll down to "Settings" and select it by clicking on it. Then click on the "Scenery Library" tab to the right of it.
    You now get to see your scenery library, to the right of which you see an "Add Area" tab. After you have clicked on this tab you need to navigate to where you have stored your new scenery. Click on it's main (airport name) folder and a new window will appear quoting the directory path and below it the airport name, which can be edited if you so wish. Click O.K. and you will get to see "Scenery" and "Texture" in a next window. Click anywhere in the blank area of that new window and your new scenery will become directly visible and active in your scenery library. You're now done but you may wish to edit the Priority via the "Move Down" tab on the right.
    Now shut your FS9 down and re-start it. Then open any flight anywhere on earth and select "Go To Airport", in your case "KORD", from the "World" drop down menu. Your new Chicago-O'Hara airport should now be up and running normally.

Good luck and lets hear if you've now got it working correctly.

Hans
    Thanks so much for your help Hans. I’m sorry for the confusion regarding Addon Manager. It is actually something specific to this particular developer. Fsdreamteam requires it for their sceneries. Unfortunately, the scenery is tethered to Addon Manager and cannot be installed outside of it as far as I know. The problem is, although the scenery was created in 2011, the Addon Manager has been updated so it no longer functions properly with windows 7. Hence, the scenery no longer functions properly in windows 7. Hope that makes sense. Unfortunately, the standard installation procedure doesn’t work with them. But I do really appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I think the challenge is that the overall environment, between your machine, the payments processor and the supported operating system does not exist identically to the way it was when you purchased the software. TBH, I think running on a supported operating system is probably the absolute basic. Outside the hobbyist realm, if you're looking for support most places won't even talk to you if you aren't that far.

Your challenge isn't FS9 - it's Windows 7. At this site you'll get a lot of moral support for running on an outdated OS, but it's like running on Windows 3.1 when XP came out.

Cheers

Luke
    I agree that Windows 7 may be less advanced in many ways to Windows 10 (I also have a second system that I use for work that uses 10), however for my specific circa-2010 Flight Simming machine I find Windows 7 is ideal. I haven’t upgraded to 10 because I don’t want the heavier OS to take up more system resources. Regardless, I don’t think it matters why or why not I upgraded, just that the scenery I bought for it that worked great for many years now no longer does simply because of the authorization system they use.

Agent00729,

Thanks very much for your explanation and my reaction is now that I find it more than strange that a commercial scenery developer/vendor makes the installation of their products (in-)directly dependent on a customer's version of Windows. Bad for sales and for their reputation in my opinion.

In any case a definite first for me in my very many years of simming.

Could it be that "Addon Manager" is just another name for the much critisized and problem ridden "Auto-installers" ?

Regards

Hans

I find it more than strange that a commercial scenery developer/vendor makes the installation of their products (in-)directly dependent on a customer's version of Windows. Bad for sales and for their reputation in my opinion.
    Almost every software developer has implicit dependencies on Windows. My guess is that almost nothing will run on pre-XP, and I don't think it's unreasonable for a software developer to support operating systems that are end of life. I certainly don't want to pay extra to cover it.

Could it be that "Addon Manager" is just another name for the much critisized and problem ridden "Auto-installers" ?
    It's not. I can't speak to how it works in FS9, but in FSX and above it's using SimConnect to dynamically inject the scenery into the sim depending on location and field of view, which should optimize performance. It's not just a copy-protection mechanism.

And FWIW, having written client software of my own, auto-installers are orders of magnitude more reliable and accurate than depending on people to modify config files on their own, considering that the average simmer considers opening up an INI file in Notepad to be "OMG programming! it's too hard" and goes into heart palpitations when editing the registry (which is essentially just another, very simple, file system). I don't know how people support their products if they have no control or idea as to how they have been installed.

There's a reason why almost everyone uses automatic installers - they are convenient and reliable. They may not work in all situations, but that also reflects on the poor quality of people's systems.

Cheers

Luke

Default Don't buy FSdreamteam

I had and still have this same problem with FSdreamteam's KJFK. I contacted FSdreamteam who admitted there was a problem with the Key/License number. While it is OK for developers not to continue to support older systems and/or versions of FS, this needs to be clear in their advertising. When I bought this add-on it did say that it was for FS9 and worked in Windows 7. I checked! I don't buy payware that isn't compatible with my system!

Quote Originally Posted by alanmerry View Post
    I had and still have this same problem with FSdreamteam's KJFK. I contacted FSdreamteam who admitted there was a problem with the Key/License number. While it is OK for developers not to continue to support older systems and/or versions of FS, this needs to be clear in their advertising. When I bought this add-on it did say that it was for FS9 and worked in Windows 7. I checked! I don't buy payware that isn't compatible with my system!
    Oh yes, I’m sure it did say that! Especially since I bought my FSDT sceneries before windows 8 was even released. Anyway, I may have solved the problem. Try putting the scenery at the very top of the scenery library. I have done this per the advice of another user, and so far have not had the issue after several flights and tests. Let’s hope it’s a permanent solution!

Agent00729,

Thanks very much for your explanation and my reaction is now that I find it more than strange that a commercial scenery developer/vendor makes the installation of their products (in-)directly dependent on a customer's version of Windows. Bad for sales and for their reputation in my opinion.

In any case a definite first for me in my very many years of simming.

Regards

Hans
    Agreed. And even worse they change the requirement over time. Sorta feels a bit like a bait and switch.

I'll check my other hard drive one day and see if I happen to have an older version of the updater. If I do, I think you could uninstall all of your FSDreamTeam products, reboot the computer, reinstall and use the updater I have. Though, this may not work if it goes online to retrieve the new crap.

The Wayback Machine didn't archive the older add-on installer and that's probably because the web Dev made it that way. I also tried some "Google dork" and couldn't find an older version of this add-on manager. I know I had that damn thing sitting here years ago, I just don't remember if I backed it up or not. Now I wish I did after reading this.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 04-19-2021 at 05:47 AM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast