MSFS 2020 Brakes Issue

I recently installed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 on my Dell XPS 17 9700 laptop with a Thrustmaster Airbus Joystick attached. The laptop is running 64 bit Windows 10. My problem is that I do not have a Num Del key and therefore I cannot control the Brakes and the Parking Brakes. I need a workaround or MSFS 2020 is useless. Can anybody help me?

Richard Richter

Hi, for the parking brake you could always use the mouse to release / apply it in the cockpit.

I would suggest you go into the controls setting page & customise the settings as you want them. You could even put the brakes on your joystick if you wanted.

Check out this video if you’re unsure how to do it

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

My problem is that I do not have a Num Del key and therefore I cannot control the Brakes and the Parking Brakes. I need a workaround or MSFS 2020 is useless. Can anybody help me?

Richard Richter

I have a Num Del key, and I've tried using it to release parking brakes, with no success whatsoever. I've tried pressing the num key then the del key; pressing the num key again in case numlock was turned off, and then pressing the del key again; and I've tried pressing them both together, with no luck in each case. I suppose I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what. I use TrackIR and so I search by for whatever looks like/is labeled as a parking brake by looking down, and if necessary, over my Logitech yoke--as if I were in an actual cockpit--while cursoring over the panels and knobs until I find the a brake release gizmo and then clicking on it, which works. In the Cessna 152, the parking brake is the round knob at the lower-left of the control console, slightly hidden by the yoke; in the C. 172, it's a vertical lever immediately below the yoke; in the Beech Bonanza, the parking brake release is to the lower right of the yoke--it has a flat handle on the end of a cable. In one of the other planes I've "flown," (I forget which one) the parking-brake release is a lever in a floor console that looks a bit like an automatic transmission lever in a car. If you cursor over the top of the flight yoke in the Cessna 172, a message box will pop up telling you to click in that area to release the brake. Hope this helps you to take off at last.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I recently installed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 on my Dell XPS 17 9700 laptop with a Thrustmaster Airbus Joystick attached. The laptop is running 64 bit Windows 10. My problem is that I do not have a Num Del key and therefore I cannot control the Brakes and the Parking Brakes. I need a workaround or MSFS 2020 is useless. Can anybody help me?

Richard Richter

My default is P for parking brake and B for active braking. Just remap the controls in settings..it really is that easy.

"I have a Num Del key, and I've tried using it to release parking brakes, with no success whatsoever."

To release the brakes, the keyboard command AFAIK is Ctrl-Num Del, not just the Num Del key?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx