Where to download MSFS and addon files

I have finally built my new computer mainly for MSFS use. I am about ready to purchase and download the MSFS program, but am wondering which computer drive to download the files to. I understand that this will be about a 130GB download.

I have a 1TB M.2 SSD that I am using as the Windows boot drive, with a separate partition on that SSD for downloads. I also have another M.2 SSD that I will install into the computer with the intention of installing MSFS there so as to keep its massive files segregated from the computer operating system to the extent possible.

My question is whether installing MSFS moves any/all of the downloaded files from the download directory on my computer to a different program installation directory that I may specify during installation. Or, after MSFS installation, do the downloaded files remain exactly where they were downloaded to be accessed by MSFS from there as needed when running?

So, to achieve maximum segregation of MSFS from Windows, should I download the program to my normal download location or directly to the 2nd SSD which will, hopefully, be used for installation of MSFS?

And, I guess the same question applies for addons that I may download in the future.....

Edited by ed1

Thanks, but I'm asking about where on my own computer to place the downloaded MSFS program and addon files.

Not sure about the addon files, however, you can get the main program from the Microsoft Store.

As someone else pointed out, flightsim.to has a LOT of addons, and there free!!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

My question is whether installing MSFS moves any/all of the downloaded files from the download directory on my computer to a different program installation directory that I may specify during installation. Or, after MSFS installation, do the downloaded files remain exactly where they were downloaded to be accessed by MSFS from there as needed when running?

As far as I know when you purchase MSFS the download is placed onto the selected drive and it runs from there. It is not downloaded to say a download area which you then move or run.

M.2 SSD drives are faster than other types of SSD drives and so IMHO you should select a partition on that drive but I would suggest not to the C: drive. You may need to create another partition on the M.s drive and if you don't want to do that then select the other SSD drive for installation.

When you download addons they would normally be downloaded to a separate download folder on any drive and then be installed from there. It might depend on where they are downloaded from as some might actually install them direct.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Most payware addons (like the ones on sale in the Marketplace, within the sim) are usually installed directly into your community folder. Some maÅ· need you to put them into the community folder.

Free addons will usually need you to place them into the community folder.

It’s all very simple though, especially if your community folder is easy to find. For example, I installed MSFS on my second M2 drive..

D:\MSFS

the address of my community folder is simply D:\MSFS\Community

You simply unzip the addons and place them in the community folder (unless they install in there themselves)

Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I have a few 'external paid for' addons - Bleriot X1, Spitfire 9, and CriCri. They self-install into Community folder. But I also put a shortcut to it on my desktop. saves a lot of drilling into it when I want a peek or want to manually install stuff. freeware/donationware include Tiger Moth, Optica, P51 Mustang, Fokker D21 and the EC135 helicopter.

I have noticed though that the current more unstable & stuttery version of the sim doesn't 'like' Community folder stuff as much as default. Varies from aircraft to aircraft but usually the frame rates and or stutters are worse.

OK, thanks for the replies, guys.

I guess I will attempt to have the initial MSFS download be saved directly to the second M.2 SSD.

This assumes that at the time of the initial download I can specify precisely which folder the download goes to. And, just in case, before the download, I will temporarily set my browser (Firefox) to save all downloads to that folder on the second M.2 SSD.

Hi, you don’t use Firefox to download it (or any other browser)

You can either buy it from Steam or the Microsoft Store (which would be my preference)

The MS Store is built in to Windows 10.

Assuming you get it via the MS Store, you’ll download the “standard edition” & also “Digital Ownership”

You then launch MSFS (standard) and it will ask you where you want the main part of the sim putting (so you can browse for your second M2 drive)

I would make a folder.. something like D:\MSFS

Depending on your internet connection, it could take an hour or two...(or 3 or 4..) to download/install.

When it’s finally installed.. launch the sim and go to it’s content manager... from there you want to download all the additional stuff (like the deluxe or premium deluxe content, should you have bought those versions)

Next step.. restart the sim..setup your controllers etc.. :)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks for all of the information everyone. Very helpful. I'm going to start the purchase/download/install process tonight or tomorrow. I'll be purchasing from the MS Store.

I bought my MSFS through the windows store and installed it on my SSD D drive.

Thats a (approx) 110 GB install. There are some other files installed on C but I hardly ever use those.

This gives me faster access to the community folder (which you need for add ons)

17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

Would recommend you use an addon manager, such as MSFS Addon Linker, to look after your addon files. It's amazing how quickly you accumulate "stuff" in the Community Folder, which in turn leads to longer loading times. Technically there's nothing to stop you "cutting and pasting" but once you've set up the addon manager it's a breeze just loading what extras you are going to use. Also helpful in emptying the C/F ready for updates which although not strictly necessary is nevertheless recommended.

There's a link to a useful video on the MSFS Addons Linker site to help seting up.

Of course other addon managers are available - I just happen to use it and am used to it now.

I use ModManFX64 to install addons and find it good but there was a bit of a learning curve the main one being that you actually install the .zip file containing the scenery or whatever you are installng and modman unzips it during the installation.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick