US Navy boats in Norfolk

Taking off from KNGU and flying over the Norfolk US Navy base, most ships are half sunk...

Thanks God the hospital ship seems afloat ;)

Am I alone to see most ships in trouble? Thanks in advance for checking this.

Happy Easter to all FS2020 addicts

J-Louis Belard, 6 miles SW of KGAI

Dell XPS,8930, I-7 9700, 32GB DD4,

512 SSD, 2TB HD, 6GB GeForce GTX 1660

Close to 800 views and not a single FS2020 user has the curiosity to check and report....

It seems that another naval base Jacksonville FL shows warships half underwater

I sent a report to Zendesk since there must be an elevation problem in these areas

FYI, the US Navy base in San Diego looks OK

Hi, I was one of those who viewed your post.. because I mistakingly thought you were reporting US Naval ships off the coast of Norfolk..UK!

I have just had a look at the base and confirm it’s as you say. Unfortunately there are many similar things in MSFS.. ships partly underwater.. bridges too... etc

I doubt it’ll be a priority to fix them just yet.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Unfortunately this is a worldwide issue with MSFS2020, not just at the US Navy Bases. The problem is that the ships in port are really actually seen by the program as buildings in the water, much like the bridges, and not as ships. They are being generated as photogrammetry buildings from the aerial photographs that are being used from the Bing Maps servers. In areas where the aerial photographs are better they look decent, in areas where the aerial photographs are not as good or where they can not get as many images (like in a large military installation) the ships do not look very good and they look like they are half sunk. I have not tried it but I have seen on flightsim.to that someone has created freeware scenery to replace the half sunk photogrammetry ships in Norfolk with actual 3D models of ships that look correct as well as ship traffic out of many of the major ports around the world. You could try downloading the scenery to make it look better. I hope that this explains what is happening here and why the ships look the way that they do.

Thank you much Steve and gxm149

I was concerned that this was a problem only on my computer

I am reassured and will be waiting for a fix from MS/Asobo

Regards

Apparently (I have not verified) the HMS Belfast (light cruiser that was built for the Royal Navy, now permanently moored as a museum ship on the River Thames in London) was showing as being sunk until Orbx released London scenery (at a cost) showing it correctly floating in the River Thames).

I also dare say that Destroyer Vampire and HMB Endeavour (permanent floating vessels at Sydney Maritime Museum) are also shown as sunk - I can't verify that as I have Orbx Sydney scenery installed which displays them floating.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I also dare say that Destroyer Vampire and HMB Endeavour (permanent floating vessels at Sydney Maritime Museum) are also shown as sunk - I can't verify that as I have Orbx Sydney scenery installed which displays them floating.

Correct; they look quite water logged. There are three or four frigates and an LHPD at Garden Island also languishing below the waves. Sydney Harbour bridge is replaced with what looks like a free way bridge with pylons in the middle of the Harbour. Anzac bridge is non-existent. The Opera House looks good but I would have thought that the Harbour Bridge would have received better treatment.

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

I have just discovered it's not just sunken ships it is also sunken docks.

I am currently creating a new airport which is a water airport for float planes. In the real world there are long docks where the float planes tie up and you can see those docks in MSFS BUT they are underwater.

If you take off from CAP3 and head around 330 you will fly over a town named Sechelt and you can see what I mean.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick