I fly almost exclusively on the 172. ILS seems to work fine. It can be buggy now and then but by and large it works.
Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

I fly almost exclusively on the 172. ILS seems to work fine. It can be buggy now and then but by and large it works.

Ok, I am doing something wrong then, again the Glass 182 works fine. Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I am doing something wrong then, again the Glass 182 works fine. Thanks for your reply.

Well I am following an arrival plate to I don't think that is the issue.

Flying vor to vor, moving from GPS to Nav on the ILS frequency after reaching the final VOR and again, horizontal is fine bu the vertical never captures

... the vertical does not work although the horizontal does.

Could you be more specific? Do you not see the white or green diamond?

Also, if you could tell us which airport is giving the problem, maybe we could try to replicate the issue.

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

Well I am following an arrival plate to I don't think that is the issue.

Flying vor to vor, moving from GPS to Nav on the ILS frequency after reaching the final VOR and again, horizontal is fine bu the vertical never captures

Hi Steve - I'm running FSX, not FS2020, but both should be very similiar (I would think). Here is a screen shot of a C172 on an ILS approach to Charleston SC KCHS, and all is going well. Try this airport and ILS Rwy 33,

Good luck, something simple that's being overlooked, I am sure!

2021-4-6_7-33-3-91.jpg

Rick :cool:

Also, if you could tell us which airport is giving the problem, maybe we could try to replicate the issue.

I just tried flying into Ahmedabad, India using ILS. Although I did get locked in to the localizer glide scope, the white or green diamond never even showed up.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Although I did get locked in to the localizer glide scope, the white or green diamond never even showed up

A point of terminology, Neil: The ILS has a localizer and it has a glide slope (vertical guidance, of course), but the localizer is strictly for horizontal guidance and has no glide slope. Also, were you in a glass or round-gauge cockpit (sounds like glass) and, to me, it wasn't clear, but are you saying that the autopilot locked in to the glide slope even though the gauge showed no indication of the glide slope? And if glass cockpit, were you tuned to the NAV radios or using the GPS for approach guidance?

At Ahmedabad, India, here's the approach plate ( https://aim-india.aai.aero/eaip-v2-01-2021/eAIP/VAAH-ILS%20(Y)-RWY-23.pdf )

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Not having that sim, it's not clear to me whether the standard C-172 is glass or round dial, because if it's round dial then there's likely a needle rather than a white or green diamond.

If you didnt do this already, make sure both NAV1 and NAV2 are tuned to the ILS frequency.

That shouldn't be necessary. All that is needed is to be certain that the proper NAV radio is tuned in, the one that is attached to the indicator you are watching. On some ILS approaches (at least without GPS or ATC RADAR), a VOR defines the FAF, so would need to be tuned to a different station.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

A point of terminology, Neil: The ILS has a localizer and it has a glide slope (vertical guidance, of course), but the localizer is strictly for horizontal guidance and has no glide slope. Also, were you in a glass or round-gauge cockpit (sounds like glass) and, to me, it wasn't clear, but are you saying that the autopilot locked in to the glide slope even though the gauge showed no indication of the glide slope? And if glass cockpit, were you tuned to the NAV radios or using the GPS for approach guidance?

At Ahmedabad, India, here's the approach plate ( https://aim-india.aai.aero/eaip-v2-01-2021/eAIP/VAAH-ILS%20(Y)-RWY-23.pdf )

I appreciate the info Larry. Ground school coursework on the ILS is pretty non-technical and superficial. Guess I will have to dive into it more later. To answer your questions:

In the sim, I was flying what appears to be a circa 2019 or so Cessna 172 with a G1000 and glass cockpit. The autopilot locked in to the glide slope even though the gauge showed no indication of the glide slope, yes. I am a little unsure of your last question, but I used the G1000 "Proc" button to "activate" the Ahmedabad Runway 23 ILS approach. I noticed when I did so that the NAV radio auto-adjusted to the Ahmedabad ILS frequency as listed in your approach plate (which I did actually look up as I was approaching). Maybe this means that I was using the GPS? I also confirmed using audio morse code that the autopilot was tuned to Ahmedabad ILS 23.

Hi Steve - I'm running FSX, not FS2020, but both should be very similiar (I would think). Here is a screen shot of a C172 on an ILS approach to Charleston SC KCHS, and all is going well. Try this airport and ILS Rwy 33,

Good luck, something simple that's being overlooked, I am sure!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]226025[/ATTACH]

Thanks will try when i get back off the road this weekend.

KSBA Ils to Runway 7 I usually just use nave 1 and fly GPS to the last VOR I pick up the horizontal and the plane turns to final but no vertical and no diamond

I can't tell which plane you're talking about because you mention the 182 glass vs the standard 172, but then you mention the diamond. I tried this ILS 7 with both versions today and the glide slope worked fine. KIZA to KSBA.

In the Glass version I loaded the ILS7 Procedure via HABUT. Flew AP via HDG at first to get over mountains at 3500 then NAV to HABUT. The diamond was alive before HABUT a little above center. At GOYED the Garmin switched itself to show LOC1 selected and AP captured GS right after that.

In the non glass version I entered 110.3 into NAV1, pushed the NAV/GPS button to NAV. USED AP HDG to head toward HABUT at 3500ft. This pic is right before HABUT and I was ready to set AP to NAV.

C172 to KSBA.JPG

Then AP to APR when both LOC & GS were about captured. The AP took me all the way down and I turned it off at about 500ft.

I just tried flying into Ahmedabad, India using ILS. Although I did get locked in to the localizer glide scope, the white or green diamond never even showed up.

I just flew Ahmedabad ILS-Z-23, freq 110.30. I picked up the glideslope at about 7nm out near the initial fix C123 flying at 1960ft and rode the glideslope down all the way to the threshold. It therefore seems that there is no problem with MSFS so that is something. The procedure calls for you to approach at or near to 2000 ft, so are you doing that?

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

I just flew Ahmedabad ILS-Z-23, freq 110.30. I picked up the glideslope at about 7nm out near the initial fix C123 flying at 1960ft and rode the glideslope down all the way to the threshold. It therefore seems that there is no problem with MSFS so that is something. The procedure calls for you to approach at or near to 2000 ft, so are you doing that?

I was at exactly 2,000 feet. As I said, I did not have a problem locking in to the glide slope and using it to land. The issue I noted is that the white/green bug on the G1000 never showed up.

The issue I noted is that the white/green bug on the G1000 never showed up.

When you refer to the 'white/green bug', are you referring to the Reference Altitude Bug, which is of a similar shape to the Heading Bug, and not to the green diamond shaped bug that indicates if you are above or below the glideslope? The Reference Altitude Bug is part of the auto pilot system and cross references the altitude that you put in via the altitude knob on the auto pilot. I, for one, was under the impression that it was the green diamond shaped bug indicating your height above or below the glideslope that was not being displayed.

You need to switch from NAV mode to APR mode on the G1000 autopilot to capture the glideslope.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

When you refer to the 'white/green bug', are you referring to the Reference Altitude Bug, which is of a similar shape to the Heading Bug, and not to the green diamond shaped bug that indicates if you are above or below the glideslope? The Reference Altitude Bug is part of the auto pilot system and cross references the altitude that you put in via the altitude knob on the auto pilot. I, for one, was under the impression that it was the green diamond shaped bug indicating your height above or below the glideslope that was not being displayed.

That's correct. The green diamond shaped bug did not show up. I have seen it before so I'm used to seeing it. I initially thought this meant that I was somehow dialed in incorrectly and that the glideslope would not actually work, and not guide me down. But it did work, and guided me all the way down, so I don't know what to make of it.

Steve - Always remember, approach the glide scope from below! In other words, if you approach too high, you will fly right over the airport!

In landing at unfamiliar airports, I always use Sky Vector and look at what their approach altitudes are for any given runway!

Enjoy, hope you get this all sorted out!

When you are on the glideslope, you should see a window open to the left of the altimeter strip. The new window has a green 'G' at the top and the diamond should appear there. When you come in below the glideslope, the diamond will be at the top.

glideslope.jpg

Steve - Always remember, approach the glide scope from below! In other words, if you approach too high, you will fly right over the airport!

In landing at unfamiliar airports, I always use Sky Vector and look at what their approach altitudes are for any given runway!

Enjoy, hope you get this all sorted out!

Thanks Rick, going KSBA I always use the approach plates because of the mountains so not sure what the issue is in the c172 for me, I pick it up in the glass 182 I purchased but I prefer the old gauges. I will try to work it out thanks.