Please Bring Back Those Smooth Landings

MSFS 2020 is doing just fine for me and I'm enjoying it more and more. However, for the past 2 weeks or so, every ILS landing brings me to a runway that suddenly forms small ripples in it as I approach. No matter how slowly and smoothly I attempt to touch down, a smooth landing is impossible... Has anyone reading this had a similar problem, and how do I get smooth runways to return?

I hope someone in the Forum can help me...

Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions...

Lee Graves

Any particular airport? Or is all airports?

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

It seems to have affected all airports. Any idea why? It wasn't there a couple of weeks ago...I read through searches that something similar occurred last October, but their suggestions didn't help me...Can you help?...Thanks...

Lee

I would really like to help you but I flew today from KSEA to KGEG and when I landed I had no problems or a bumpy runway. I'm sorry I can't be more help.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

What are your system specs? This sounds like a data loading issue. What is your internet speed? Are you using an SSD or HDD?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Plainsman-Thanks for stopping by. I think you are correct in looking at Data as a problem. Let me answer your questions.

--My system specs: Ryzen 5 3600 processor-ASUS ROG B-550-F MB-32GB Corsair memory-GF 2060 video card-Sabrent 1TB SSD-ASUS 27" gaming monitor-ANTEC case.

--I have high-speed AT&T U-verse "Internet 100" (100 Mbs?)

--My MSFS 2020 readings: MSFS/OPTIONS/GENERAL/DATA/

--Current Data Consumption: 821.29MIB

--Data Limit: 25GIB

--Data Limitation: ON

--Data Limit (GIB): 25GIB

--Data Warning: 0.00GIB

--Bandwidth: Unlimited

--Rolling Cache: ON

--Rolling Cache Limit: 25GIB

--Delete Rolling Cache File: Delete

With these settings, I have reduced runway ripples to very slight and spread apart, producing just a small bump on touchdown. Not completely flat and smooth, however, as in the past. Can we get the ground back in that condition? Thank you so much for trying...

Lee

Thanks Stinger--I've set "DELETE" in the "Delete Rolling Cache File" box. Was that what you meant?... Any other suggestions we can discuss?...

...I may not be the only one, a little "bouncy" when landing...

Lee

So...........is the runway LITERALLY bouncy/curvy/warped? Or is it just what happens when you land that makes it seem so? Just looking for some details as I'm not following this.........

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

So...........is the runway LITERALLY bouncy/curvy/warped? Or is it just what happens when you land that makes it seem so? Just looking for some details as I'm not following this.........

I am starting to wonder also. Perhaps you could provide screen shots of these bumpy runways so we can analyze what might be going on. Perhaps somebody way smarter than me could figure out what to do about it.

I hope this helps...

This is what I'm experiencing...As I get closer to a runway at the end of a ILS approach, I begin to see some mild undulations, maybe 10-15 feet apart. They are like soft, low rises in the runway. These rather wide, low ripples are smaller and farther apart and you don't notice them until very near, or coming over the threshold. After a few bumpy landings (bouncing off these "waves") I may have a smooth landing or two. "Ah, smoothness is back, " I think...Until, the next ILS approach...and a bumpy touchdown...

It is virtually impossible to avoid touching down one wheel before the other on one of these waves; which bumps the plane (especially the 787--depending upon the size of the wave), before the plane rights itself to continue down the runway.

These slight, uneven ripples appear to be across the surface of the terrain, not just the runways. The straight. white runway sidelines just make them more noticeable. Experimenting with various settings (including Data) has helped a great deal to smooth out the terrain and get the surface back to the way it should be; but, it's not all the way there, yet...

I apologize for taking so much space. I hope you have a clearer picture of what I'm dealing with. Others may also be experiencing something similar and I hope we can totally smooth the surface of the sim for all of us...

NOTE: These waves, or ripples, are in the terrain surface; just more noticeable when landing, or close to the ground...

My thanks in advance for all ideas and suggestions...

Lee

Thanks Stinger--I've set "DELETE" in the "Delete Rolling Cache File" box. Was that what you meant?... Any other suggestions we can discuss?...

...I may not be the only one, a little "bouncy" when landing...

Lee

Yes, that is what I meant but it seems it didn't fix it for you. I have heard of this happening for some in airports within photogrammetry areas, are the airports you speak of in PG areas?

See this link for the dicussion

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/runway-tears-terrain-issues-in-photogrammetry-areas/324479

It seems turning off photogrammetry fixes it.

Could I also ask, what is your "render scaling" set to, I wonder if this has an effect. Perhaps you could try setting it to 200 (if only temporarily) to see if it makes a difference.

Good luck

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Thanks again, Stinger--Your suggestions were definitely helpful. Let's look at them.

--Photogrammetry: About a toss-up, on or off. I'll have to try it both ways in an area with lots of big buildings--KJFK, maybe. The runway where I tried it was too flat, I realize now.

--Render Scaling: I advanced it to 200 and I believe it helped smooth-out the terrain some. I'm going to continue with it at 200.

--Those MSFS Videos were "spot-on." Some of the runways looked like some I have bumped-around on. I'm real glad Microsoft is aware of the problem and, I hope, working on ways to solve it.

With the changes in settings you and others have suggested, plus some of my own, landings are improving. A bit more adjustment and we may finally be back to the good way things were several weeks ago.

--I'd like to thank Kevin (earlier post) for taking the time to try a sample landing to see if he could duplicate my problem. He couldn't, but not for trying...

--I hope Plainsman, who has helped me in the past, will check-in and give us his take on all of this. (See my earlier answers to his questions.)

Many thanks again, for all ideas and suggestions...

Lee