dds repaints

rafalrafal

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is something that belongs to FSX thread or perhaps I should redirect my FSX "story" to hardware related section, but I thought I would try here first: I am noticing annoying artifact with my PC displaying blurry .dds textures on some of the FSX models (esp FXAI and RFSL). I also noticed that slashing texture sizes by half pretty much eliminates the problem. But it seems odd to me that fairly modern PC (Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2080 etc etc) is having an issue with handling 5mb texture files that are now distributed pretty much as a standard size of many repaint packages. Is something wrong with my settings or maybe there is a general tweak eg in Nvidia settings that might be worth trying instead of rescaling every 5mb repaint texture file one by one?

Thank you

Rafal

Only thing I know that makes textures blurry is when they are saved with MIPMAPS. What they are is progressive sets of smaller and smaller textures within the main texture intended to save frame rates as the object gets farther away.

They are fine for use on AI aircraft, but look like crap on your own aircraft, especially when you pan around it.

Be sure it is turned off when you save textures in graphics programs.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Thank you for your input dogdish. in case of FSX here the blurry ones are the FSPXAI aircraft repaints in large 2048/5 mb .dds formats. They appear blurry here when viewed from some distance. They look fine up close but deteriorate as the distance increases. I am reading everywhere that DDS/DXT5 format is considered better for overall performance and quality but it seems is not the case here with repaints for FSPXAI models. So I guess for now I will keep rescaling/resizing all problematic textures and look around for older AI models and DXT3 textures which seem to display perfectly fine in my setup.

Rafalrafal,

Might be worth having a read of this:

https://www.simforums.com/Forums/guide-mipmapping-and-optimising-textures_topic52893.html

go to the bottom of the page and download the PDF, it is a good read and very informative,

cheers

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat