Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I did not fly today (Or when the means obstruct the ends)

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo212 View Post
    Hi Loki I was wondering if he had only the one ssd drive installed if so I dont feel its big enough to handle windows and msfs and steam all on the same drive just my opinion he really ought to have windows on a seperate drive I think.Not talking behind his back lol just stating my opinion which might help him solve the problems hes been having.

kind regards

Andrew
    His listed specs say it's a 1TB drive, so should be plenty big and fast enough for Windows, Steam and the sim. My concern is that there could be an issue with the SSD itself.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    In addition to the OCCT suggestion, have you looked into the health of the SSD at all? There are a couple different applications that can check the health and SMART status. If you know the specific SSD brand (ie. Samsung, Crucial etc.), you should be able to download an app from them. Otherwise there a couple of third party options as well.

https://www.techjunkie.com/tools-check-ssd-health/

And if it's a SATA SSD, you may want to check the cables.
    I have a 1TB SSD with 784 of 953 GB free. It may be a SATA SSD. I'd have to dig up the specs to check. I've been practicing landings in the C 152 this afternoon with no problems.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

If you know the specific SSD brand (ie. Samsung, Crucial etc.), you should be able to download an app from them. Otherwise there a couple of third party options as well.

https://www.techjunkie.com/tools-check-ssd-health/

And if it's a SATA SSD, you may want to check the cables.
    I think I have a Western Digital SSD. I couldn't locate the specs for my Omen 25L, but looking at specs for a similar HP computer, I saw that PC's SSD was made by Western Digital.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    I think I have a Western Digital SSD. I couldn't locate the specs for my Omen 25L, but looking at specs for a similar HP computer, I saw that PC's SSD was made by Western Digital.
    If it is indeed a WD SSD, you can download the "Western Digital Dashboard" application to check the drive at the link below.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL#WD_softwarepc

If it is indeed a WD SSD, you can download the "Western Digital Dashboard" application to check the drive at the link below.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL#WD_softwarepc
    Thanks. I found the software. What’s the advantage of it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I found the software. What’s the advantage of it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can use it to check the health of your SSD to make sure it isn't causing your issues. Can also check the firmware in case there is an update as well.

Hi dont worry Aptosflier between us we will get you there this forum is full of helpful people and they are all keen to help.

Regards

Andrew

You can use it to check the health of your SSD to make sure it isn't causing your issues. Can also check the firmware in case there is an update as well.
    Thanks, Loki. I downloaded the app and launched it. Everything looks good; lots of free space on my 1 TB drive -- 841.9 GB. 100 percent "life remaining." How long do these SSDs last, by the way? I have a Samsung SSD in the HP Spectre laptop I use for serious stuff, like home finances, taxes, and novel writing (one "in the can" and a second one stalled due to serious writer's block). I looked for a Samsung dashboard, but the don't seem to have one for the model in my laptop.

Meanwhile, the sim is working great now. I've just started reading Stick and Rudder, and I'm trying to apply what I'm learning from the book to my sim flying. Took off in a C 172 from Watsonville Muni (our local airport) this morning, flew out over Monterey Bay and experimented with gliding descents, then flew back to land--after a missed approach--and taxi to the ramp. Flight time about half an hour with no hiccups!

Thanks, Loki. I downloaded the app and launched it. Everything looks good; lots of free space on my 1 TB drive -- 841.9 GB. 100 percent "life remaining." How long do these SSDs last, by the way? I have a Samsung SSD in the HP Spectre laptop I use for serious stuff, like home finances, taxes, and novel writing (one "in the can" and a second one stalled due to serious writer's block). I looked for a Samsung dashboard, but the don't seem to have one for the model in my laptop.
    Good to hear you're enjoying the sim!

Modern SSDs have lifespans measured in years, especially with workloads like yours (while serious in other ways, those aren't particularly demanding as far as computer workloads are concerned). You would need to be completely filling and erasing an SSD every day for years on end to really run into trouble in a home computer. Still a good idea to have a proper back-up plan in place though.

As for Samsung SSDs, you want to look for their "Samsung Magician" software.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12