Why I did not fly today (Or when the means obstruct the ends)

Long story short: Unable to get past my MSFS Steam edition's "Fly" button because the would sim crash every time, I contacted HP support. After much troubleshooting, A tech at some location unknown to me returned my OS to a restore point when everything was working, to the best of my recollection. I tried starting a flight, but the sim still crashed. So then I went to NVidia's GE Force experience app (I had to reset my password to sign in) and downloaded the latest Nvidia driver, dated March 16. I fired up the sim again, and this time, it loaded. Took a quick spin around Watsonville in the Cessna 152, forced a very, very long landing, taxied back to the parking ramps, shut down the plane, quit the sim, turned off the PC, and broke for lunch. When I came back from lunch and turned on the PC again...there was no video signal; the monitor was dark. With the PC still on, I fiddled with the display port and HDMI cables from my HP Omen monitor. If either one of them is loose, I get no joy from the monitor. Checking them has resolved this issue in the past, but today it did not. Not knowing what else to do, I forced a hard shutdown. I waited, turned the PC back on and got a blue screen with a box to click to get Windows to repair itself. It was not able to self-repair and I had to boot the PC from the 32 gb Windows recovery thumb drive I'd made for just such an unwelcome occasion. With Windows back, I reinstalled my preferred browser, antivirus software, and my TrackIR and Logitech flight panel apps, logged into Steam and reinstalled their app and am now twiddling my thumbs while I download and install MSFS for the umpteenth time. Maybe tomorrow I'll get virtually airborne again.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

For the life of me I cannot understand why you have sooooo many problems while a whole bunch of us don't? Is it bad karma or what?

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hi Aptosflier it would help people to try and help you if you didnt do multiple posts on the same subject it doesent really matter to me but i answer your post in depth witch is totally ignored because you have posted again I am sure you are very frustrated with your problem but its always best to make a post and follow it through just Advice.

Kind regards

Andrew

Hi Aptosflier it would help people to try and help you if you didnt do multiple posts on the same subject it doesent really matter to me but i answer your post in depth witch is totally ignored because you have posted again I am sure you are very frustrated with your problem but its always best to make a post and follow it through just Advice.

Kind regards

Andrew

Andrew, I apologize for the multiple posts. I actually did try the workarounds you suggested in another of my threads; such as signing out and in again, and rebooting my PC. Those are my first go-to moves when MSFS goes crosswise on me. I’ve also clicked on “validate” in MSFS, all to no avail. I’ve plumbed the depths of other forums and Google looking for answers and solutions, without much luck. Anyway, after I was forced to restore Windows itself from a backup recovery thumb drive yesterday afternoon, and then reinstalled MSFS on a cleaned machine, MSFS is working again, or was when I closed it and shut down my PC yesterday evening. Whatever happens next, I’ll refrain from further woe-is-me rants in this space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Hi I personally dont mind rants lol its a way of letting frustration out in words lol sometimes you just looking for help but this can be very difficult sometimes as you have to try and picture the persons machine and think what you would do in that position no problem with your posts if they are in the same place and i will always do my best to help you if i can or anyone for that matter thats the way i am there is an old Yorkshire saying If you cant do someone a good turn dont do them a bad-en lolAny way glad your up and running did you install that prog i mention its very good :) You can check temps etc as well

Kind Regards

Andrew

Hi I personally dont mind rants lol its a way of letting frustration out in words lol sometimes you just looking for help but this can be very difficult sometimes as you have to try and picture the persons machine and think what you would do in that position no problem with your posts if they are in the same place and i will always do my best to help you if i can or anyone for that matter thats the way i am there is an old Yorkshire saying If you cant do someone a good turn dont do them a bad-en lolAny way glad your up and running did you install that prog i mention its very good :) You can check temps etc as well

Kind Regards

Andrew

Please remind me, what’s the program?

The prog is called OCCT and youcan downlod here its entirely free https://www.ocbase.com/ easy to use just a matter of monitoring tems there is an option to stress test certain things like graphics cards to see how they are performing.

Kind Regards

Andrew

Thanks so much. I’ll check it out.

In addition to the OCCT suggestion, have you looked into the health of the SSD at all? There are a couple different applications that can check the health and SMART status. If you know the specific SSD brand (ie. Samsung, Crucial etc.), you should be able to download an app from them. Otherwise there a couple of third party options as well.

https://www.techjunkie.com/tools-check-ssd-health/

And if it's a SATA SSD, you may want to check the cables.

Hi Loki I was wondering if he had only the one ssd drive installed if so I dont feel its big enough to handle windows and msfs and steam all on the same drive just my opinion he really ought to have windows on a seperate drive I think.Not talking behind his back lol just stating my opinion which might help him solve the problems hes been having.

kind regards

Andrew

Hi Loki I was wondering if he had only the one ssd drive installed if so I dont feel its big enough to handle windows and msfs and steam all on the same drive just my opinion he really ought to have windows on a seperate drive I think.Not talking behind his back lol just stating my opinion which might help him solve the problems hes been having.

kind regards

Andrew

His listed specs say it's a 1TB drive, so should be plenty big and fast enough for Windows, Steam and the sim. My concern is that there could be an issue with the SSD itself.

In addition to the OCCT suggestion, have you looked into the health of the SSD at all? There are a couple different applications that can check the health and SMART status. If you know the specific SSD brand (ie. Samsung, Crucial etc.), you should be able to download an app from them. Otherwise there a couple of third party options as well.

I have a 1TB SSD with 784 of 953 GB free. It may be a SATA SSD. I'd have to dig up the specs to check. I've been practicing landings in the C 152 this afternoon with no problems.

If you know the specific SSD brand (ie. Samsung, Crucial etc.), you should be able to download an app from them. Otherwise there a couple of third party options as well.

I think I have a Western Digital SSD. I couldn't locate the specs for my Omen 25L, but looking at specs for a similar HP computer, I saw that PC's SSD was made by Western Digital.

I think I have a Western Digital SSD. I couldn't locate the specs for my Omen 25L, but looking at specs for a similar HP computer, I saw that PC's SSD was made by Western Digital.

If it is indeed a WD SSD, you can download the "Western Digital Dashboard" application to check the drive at the link below.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL#WD_softwarepc

If it is indeed a WD SSD, you can download the "Western Digital Dashboard" application to check the drive at the link below.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?DL#WD_softwarepc

Thanks. I found the software. What’s the advantage of it again?

Thanks. I found the software. What’s the advantage of it again?

You can use it to check the health of your SSD to make sure it isn't causing your issues. Can also check the firmware in case there is an update as well.

You can use it to check the health of your SSD to make sure it isn't causing your issues. Can also check the firmware in case there is an update as well.

Thanks, Loki. I downloaded the app and launched it. Everything looks good; lots of free space on my 1 TB drive -- 841.9 GB. 100 percent "life remaining." How long do these SSDs last, by the way? I have a Samsung SSD in the HP Spectre laptop I use for serious stuff, like home finances, taxes, and novel writing (one "in the can" and a second one stalled due to serious writer's block). I looked for a Samsung dashboard, but the don't seem to have one for the model in my laptop.

Meanwhile, the sim is working great now. I've just started reading Stick and Rudder, and I'm trying to apply what I'm learning from the book to my sim flying. Took off in a C 172 from Watsonville Muni (our local airport) this morning, flew out over Monterey Bay and experimented with gliding descents, then flew back to land--after a missed approach--and taxi to the ramp. Flight time about half an hour with no hiccups!

Thanks, Loki. I downloaded the app and launched it. Everything looks good; lots of free space on my 1 TB drive -- 841.9 GB. 100 percent "life remaining." How long do these SSDs last, by the way? I have a Samsung SSD in the HP Spectre laptop I use for serious stuff, like home finances, taxes, and novel writing (one "in the can" and a second one stalled due to serious writer's block). I looked for a Samsung dashboard, but the don't seem to have one for the model in my laptop.

Good to hear you're enjoying the sim!

Modern SSDs have lifespans measured in years, especially with workloads like yours (while serious in other ways, those aren't particularly demanding as far as computer workloads are concerned). You would need to be completely filling and erasing an SSD every day for years on end to really run into trouble in a home computer. Still a good idea to have a proper back-up plan in place though.

As for Samsung SSDs, you want to look for their "Samsung Magician" software.