Old User, yet very inexperienced at both FSX and MDC MD-83

I have been away from FSX and aviation for quite some time, and it seems I have forgotten some of the basics.

I have FSX (obviously) and MDC MD-83 twinjet airliner installed on my Desktop PC.

When I input my "free flight" data for a ground airport, I get a cockpit with engines running. I need to know how (what keys to push) to turn the power plants off so as to simulate a ''cold and dark" aircraft.

Thank you for helping to refresh my memory

Read this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/flight-simulator-how-to-shut-down-or-start-jet-engines-230e6c30-8696-370c-212f-0f93bacbac1d

You can see and set your keyboard commands withen the FSX settings. You'd need to press the ALT key to get the menu bar on top to find all those options. I have to right click in window and show hide the menu bar or what ever it is. But I have to do that twice. I think there's also a keyboard command to hide the menu bar. It should be pressing ALT again, but that doesn't work for me. I may have changed the key.

• 2 weeks later...

So, does the MD-83 in FSX have nose wheel steering? I don't even see the entry in the aircraft.cfg. And I see no mention of it at all as a possible parameter. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/microsoft-esp/cc526949(v=msdn.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN#mozTocId38401

If this is an add-on (like a paid for add-on), you'll want to read through its manual or go to their help forum/contact email.

If you would be interested in having all of your flights start in a cold and dark scenario, then I would suggest redoing your default flight.

Start a flight at your favorite airport (in your time zone), I would recommend using the default Baron 58 because of multiple engines and the proper controls (Throttles, Prop RPM levers, and Mixture levers).

Start the flight, Turn engines off, set throttles to idle, Prop RPM to full, Mixture to full rich. Turn off battery and all lights. Leave the Avionics switch on. Set the parking brake. Now save this flight and be sure to check the "Save as Default Flight" tab.

Now all aircraft will be in a cold and dark situation on every flight you start.

I would also recommend NEVER use the default flight to start other flights. That will have a tendency to screw up the default situation.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️