First timer Newb planning on MSFS 2020 setup

johnnywon

Hello,

I recently watched a pilot webinar recommending the use of MSFS 2020 to practice flying and instrument procedures when you can't get into your plane. I am most interested in learning to fly the Bonanza and hoping add-ons of the 33 and 35 would offer realistic instrumentation and flight characteristics. Are these reasonable expectations of MSFS?

I am not a gamer so after talking with all my gamer kids and nephews I find none of them do flight sims I found this site that I am hoping helps me make good decisions. The first question is if my office computer can handle the 2020 MSFS. From the min specs I think I am good but not sure about the video card. It is not a gaming computer but it is fairly new:

ThinkStation P330 - Tiny

Part Number: 30CECTO1WW

• Processor : 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8700T 6 core processor (2.40GHz, up to 4.00GHz with Turbo Boost, 12MB Cache)

• Operating System : Windows 10 Pro 64

• Operating System Language : Windows 10 Pro 64 English

• Form Factor : Tiny Q370

• Memory : 32GB (16GB + 16GB) DDR4 2666MHz

• Video Adapter : NVIDIA Quadro P620 2GB 4 x Mini DP

• M.2 Storage Card : 512GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVME, M.2, Opal

• Networking : Integrated Ethernet

• WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters : Intel 8265 with vPro 802.11 (2 x 2) & Bluetooth 4.2

• Speakers : Premium Internal Speaker Tiny

• Vertical Stand : Vertical Stand Tiny

• Tool-less for Open Chassis : Tool-less for Open Chassis

• Publications Pack : Publication-English

Reading other streams here and talking to my family gamers it seems I should buy the program on Microsoft instead of steam since I'm not a gamer but would I still be able to buy add-ons for specific airplanes if I don't use steam?

Since this would be my one and only game purchase the software price difference is not my primary consideration... instead I'm wondering if the deluxe and premium versions would be much larger and bog down my computer. This here is probably the ultimate stupid newb question but I really want to know if there is any truth to this or should I just get the deluxe for benefits I am not aware of or upgrades I might not know I eventually will want???

I was told the Logitech G (Saitek) Flight Simulator Yoke and Rudder Pedals would be a good setup for what I was wanting to accomplish. Sporty's has these as a package and it seems like it would give me a lot of realism with a yoke, power quadrant and rudder pedals with braking. I'm sure more advanced flight simmers might have good tips for me since I am just in the shopping stage and very open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any tips you think will help me set up my sim.

I did some more digging and I am pretty confident my video card will support the game... might not be super fast but in a few years I might be able to build out a better setup. I'm also going to do the Honeycomb setup instead of the Logitech. I'm a newb so going to take my time putting this together. Edited by johnnywon

to be honest I don't think you will get much enjoyment with that card in fs2020 it's pretty demanding... but we all gotta start somewhere...... Welcome to the forum..... Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

il88pp, THANKS for the links. I'll do some learning in the MSFS 2020 forum as I start up the sim.

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/inpu...ight-simulator was great and my system passed but did show the graphics card as the weakest link. This is helpful. I'm waiting for the yoke to arrive and I'll light this baby up. computerrating.gif

Edited by johnnywon

cool, you will be able to tweak the graphics to get the best out of your card.

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I tweaked the settings for my current setup and I'm pretty happy I have flown twice now. I do get a warning message when I boot the program up that says "your computer does not meet the minimum requirement. As a result you may experience errors during the game" but I have not seen one error yet. Probably helped I reduced the settings.

I just figured out how to drag checklists and things over to my extra monitor so that is how I'm using the monitor on the right. I found a keyboard command sheet https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewgezv7zkkdp6ag/keyboard_util_large.pdf?dl=0 that is helping me figure out what buttons to press to release the parking brake, add power, raise gear, etc.... The hard part is using the keyboard to control rudders as I steer down the runway. Still I managed to takeoff and land. I will be very happy when the Honeycomb Beta arrives and I can configure a lot of these things but I guess the rudder will still be an issue, hmmm. Is there a better way to control rudders when you don't have rudder pedals?

IMG_5370.jpg

Great news! you may get a tad more power running one monitor worth a try. I fly maily VR now but I always insisted on two screens for the sim, i did notice a slightly higher performance running one monitor...... Good luck and happy landings

Thanks for info about going to 1 monitor if I need. I'll keep the second as long as it works well. I'm a complete newb to the flight sim world so I have a lot to keep me busy for a few years. Time and space are my biggest challenges right now but that should improve in a few years. Good luck to you and thanks for the tips!