Heading problem

beroun

Hi,

Got all my flights saved at JFK runway 4L with heading of 043. For some reason instruments heading is now showing 031????? Regardless, which aircraft I open there, or if I save there a new one.

I rebooted PC, no help. Changed magdec.bgl in the base/scenery with the one I have saved when the heading was correct, no help. I did not add any new scenery which could cause this.

I recall this anomaly came up few years ago and somehow I resolved it but cannot find the post.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi,

Got all my flights saved at JFK runway 4L with heading of 043. For some reason instruments heading is now showing 031????? Regardless, which aircraft I open there, or if I save there a new one.

I rebooted PC, no help. Changed magdec.bgl in the base/scenery with the one I have saved when the heading was correct, no help. I did not add any new scenery which could cause this.

I recall this anomaly came up few years ago and somehow I resolved it but cannot find the post.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter - I found your post from 2016, discussing weather vs saved default runway vs assigned runway.

Go to the search window upper right, enter your user name and enter. There are 2 pages, your post is the second or so from the bottom of the last page. Maybe re-reading it, may bring back some recollection you might have had.

Good luck - Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Hi gents,

sorry I was not clear in my post. I had no issue with the wind direction but the heading instruments were acting up, not showing the runway heading.

Example: At take-off point at JFK runway 4L (or R) the heading is 043 (always was for decades!). Now, when I had aircraft there, lined up for take-off the compass, CRS and HSI show heading 031. So somehow the magnetic north moved?

However, have just found out that for some reason this anomaly started after I changed the compatibility mode in fs9.exe properties to Windows XP SP2, unchecking it fixed the problem. (Got W10 and always left this unchecked and FS worked perfectly).

So I have no issue now except am curious why would the compatibility mode change in fs9.exe affected the heading?

Cheers

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

I can't give you a precise answer, but compatibility mode is there for things that were done (software wise) in a different fashion than in the current Windows, so evidently something (perhaps internal library calls, or some other thing that FS depends on) changed from the old way. But that was likely before FS9 came out (way back when), so compatibility mode can break things that don't need it in the first place.

Lesson: Don't use it unless you have to.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I had this problem some years ago and a search here found this explanation and simplest solution provided by resident FS genius Tom Gibson :). Post#7

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?298046-True-vs-Magnetic-headings&highlight=runway+headings

I did what Tom suggested and never had the problem again. Saved trawling through hundreds of addon sceneries.

I echo the above, the amount of times he has helped me and many others, I've often seen threads where Tom has helped someone and in doing so explained a problem I have had many times.

Going back many years I found out Tom likes fishing and we once exchanged stories on his website, he posted a photo of himself in a step-in floating dinghy that he used for fishing.

Col.

Gee guys, thanks a lot. It is actually a float tube, sort of a fancy inner tube that you sit in. But I don't do that any more - just can't hike all the gear up the mountain anymore... I still like camping, though.

Luckily, the OP appears to have solved his problem without the necessity of my solution. But it may come in handy for others.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Tom helped me late last week by providing a wonderful Frontier repaint of the MJ DC-3.

Can't wait to try it out! 😀

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG