1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (4 total)

Hyper-threaded (8 total)

3998.16 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

3351.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

hp DVD-RAM GHA3N [Optical drive]

Recently Windows 10 crashed and the shop fixed it. FSXX wouldn't run so I tried to do a clean install. When disk 2 is almost done I get a message to insert disk. When I try to do this it spits it back out. Any ideas?

Let's start at the beginning - because if you needed to take this to the shop, it was not just a "Windows 10" crash.

What really happened? What did "the shop" really do?

We need detailed information here.

Jorgen

Did they ALSO reinstall FSX? Probably not, so you could be messing any number of SimConnect or Visual C++ redistributables...

You need to be much more thorough with what you, and you shop, have done.

You may want to try cleaning the disc. Usually a dirty disc will just result in read errors but sometimes it can also cause the drive to no longer continue to recognize the disc at all which will, in turn, cause the program (in this case FSX) to think it's been removed from the drive.....Doug Edited by W2DR
kant spel
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Let's start at the beginning - because if you needed to take this to the shop, it was not just a "Windows 10" crash.

What really happened? What did "the shop" really do?

We need detailed information here.

Jorgen

Everything was working fine. I turned the computer off and when I turned it on windows would not load. Kept closing and trying to restart. The shop fixed that. I don't know what they did. FSX wouldn't load. I then got rid of fsx with ccleaner and tried to reinstall it. The shop checked the disk drive and they say it's fine.

With respect I would say: Get FSX Steam and you'll be flying FSX Gold in minutes. (No DVD's and more important: no code's, no authorizations, and you do get Steam ability to verify your installed FSX integrity at any time.

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

With respect I would say: Get FSX Steam and you'll be flying FSX Gold in minutes. (No DVD's and more important: no code's, no authorizations, and you do get Steam ability to verify your installed FSX integrity at any time.

Am I going to have to pay more? And it will install fsx? Can I import my logbook? If so I may try that. I miss FS.

Uninstalled using CCleaner? Why? I bet you have leftovers? Have you done a full search of your PC and registry to ensure its all gone?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Uninstalled using CCleaner? Why? I bet you have leftovers? Have you done a full search of your PC and registry to ensure its all gone?

I used that program because it's the only one I had. I will check the registry again.

There's a lot going on here and in all honestly I would need to sit if front of your computer to get it to work. Let me just itemize some things.

1) Windows 10 can be a real PITA when it comes to installing FSX. There is a method to the madness and you'll want to search or ask how to install FSX in Windows 10. I've never had to do it because I'm in Windows 7. I do know Windows 10 apparently lacks the Directx 9 driver version and that'll need to be installed for FSX to work correctly (could be why people get a black screen). No, it doesn't overwrite your current version of Directx. It adds to the DLL library of Directx so to speak.

2) Windows 10 updates have a low QC (Quality Control) and can and will muck things up. So once you get FSX up and running, the possibility of an update hosing the whole thing over is pretty good. Not to single out Windows 10, but I've read the same thing over and over from many tech forums I've been a member of for some 15 years for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1.

3) Instead of using Ccleaner to remove a program, use Revouninstaller instead. Also, never EVER use Ccleaner's registry cleaner. That is mostly snake oil and can and will mess your system up. The registry should never be messed with unless you know exactly what you are doing. The registry is just a database and while it will grow, with today's modern computers and speed you don't need to optimize the registry and all this stuff. As they say, leave well enough alone. I do. Unless I'm doing something. And of course I know what I'm doing.

4) You need to install FSX to the root of C drive and not in the programs folder. The programs fold is protected by Windows and can give you issues. It may not be apparent at first, but it will eventually and then you'll find yourself moving the whole installation and reinstall a mass of bought add-ons. So since you're starting out with a new install, install FSX to a fold on C drive it's self called FSX. So the path would be C:\FSX The FSX folder would have your install. You can create this folder first on C drive and when you go to install browse to that folder to direct the installer to install to that location.

About the logbook. You need to backup those files yourself on a periodic basis. That goes for whole 1:1 hard drive clones to another external hard drive. There are many cloning programs to do this. Some people use the Chinese made AOMEI Backupper (the simplest to use), others use Macrium Reflect. I have used AOMEI Backupper to clone my parent's computer. I went and scanned my version of AOMEI Backupper at Virus Total, watched all hard drive activity with the program and monitored the NIC (Network Interface Card) I have not seen any shenanigans as of yet. And do believe me I run a very tight ship. For myself, and since my computer's are all encrypted, I use Clonezilla because that's the only cloning software I found to clone encrypted hard drives. But that requires some reading. My external USB hard drives, USB drives, optical media, etc are all kept in a ~$35 fire proof safe. Just food for thought. (No, the safe won't keep people out. It's to mitigate possible fire/water damage)

Run a program called everything.exe. The 64 bit version will do for your case. Now search for the following items in Everything. Then right click that item, copy and then paste to your backup USB stick, hard drive, etc. I keep no less than four copies on optical media, hard drives and USB sticks. I even use the "cloud."

You want to backup these on a periodic basis:

dll.xml

exe.xml

fsx.CFG

GrantedRewards.BIN

Logbook.BIN

scenery.cfg

Standard.XML

Most of these will be in the AppData folder of your computer username folder. The dll.xml and exe.xml are for added modules. GrantedRewards are for rewards obtained (there's an additional add-on here in the library for this). Your logbook, no brainer. scenery.cfg is the state of which scenery is executed in the Sim and what's all installed. (Check out Scenery Config Editor which will be found at SourceForege). Standard.xml contains yoke, pedal or other control assignments. Though I back it up, when I needed it the controls weren't set as before. Don't know why, but I back it up anyway.

Make sure you read page one of this topic as I have a post there at the bottom: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?330558-FSX-wont-install

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

There's a lot going on here and in all honestly I would need to sit if front of your computer to get it to work. Let me just itemize some things.

1) Windows 10 can be a real PITA when it comes to installing FSX. There is a method to the madness and you'll want to search or ask how to install FSX in Windows 10. I've never had to do it because I'm in Windows 7. I do know Windows 10 apparently lacks the Directx 9 driver version and that'll need to be installed for FSX to work correctly (could be why people get a black screen). No, it doesn't overwrite your current version of Directx. It adds to the DLL library of Directx so to speak.

2) Windows 10 updates have a low QC (Quality Control) and can and will muck things up. So once you get FSX up and running, the possibility of an update hosing the whole thing over is pretty good. Not to single out Windows 10, but I've read the same thing over and over from many tech forums I've been a member of for some 15 years for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1.

3) Instead of using Ccleaner to remove a program, use Revouninstaller instead. Also, never EVER use Ccleaner's registry cleaner. That is mostly snake oil and can and will mess your system up. The registry should never be messed with unless you know exactly what you are doing. The registry is just a database and while it will grow, with today's modern computers and speed you don't need to optimize the registry and all this stuff. As they say, leave well enough alone. I do. Unless I'm doing something. And of course I know what I'm doing.

4) You need to install FSX to the root of C drive and not in the programs folder. The programs fold is protected by Windows and can give you issues. It may not be apparent at first, but it will eventually and then you'll find yourself moving the whole installation and reinstall a mass of bought add-ons. So since you're starting out with a new install, install FSX to a fold on C drive it's self called FSX. So the path would be C:\FSX The FSX folder would have your install. You can create this folder first on C drive and when you go to install browse to that folder to direct the installer to install to that location.

That is a lot of good info. I got rid of ccleaner and used MS uninstall. That is where I'm at now. We will how the install goes.

CRJ, old friend,

With all my possible respect I must say that since you do not use Windows 10 on a daily basis, you might most be the most qualified person to talk about it.

It certainly has its faults, which are many in number, but the core engine is fast and robust. It's the wrapping and all the "goodies" which Microsoft included that sucks and clouds the good features quite effectively. And it is quite easy to get rid of the "goodies" - you turn off UAC, you run things from your desktop, you stop it from snooping on you, and you don't use Edge or whatever they want to call their browser nowadays.

Jorgen

CRJ certainly has a downer on Win10 Jorgen - you took the words right out of my mouth. Considering he still uses Win7??

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Uninstall the whole lot. You will need to uninstall fsx using Add-Remove programs menu in Windows. Two times. (accel, then deluxe.)

run kb928080 if needed.

Then install to the correct drive first time. Create a folder for it there first to point the installer to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
CRJ, old friend,

With all my possible respect I must say that since you do not use Windows 10 on a daily basis, you might most be the most qualified person to talk about it.

It certainly has its faults, which are many in number, but the core engine is fast and robust. It's the wrapping and all the "goodies" which Microsoft included that sucks and clouds the good features quite effectively. And it is quite easy to get rid of the "goodies" - you turn off UAC, you run things from your desktop, you stop it from snooping on you, and you don't use Edge or whatever they want to call their browser nowadays.

Jorgen

While I mention Windows 10 being the source of many issues in posts pertaining to Windows 10, it's not because I want to hate it out of thin air. It's because I base it on facts of people's post's all over the tech forums I'm a member of and all the other reading I have done on the Internet. My post is not a hate Windows 10 post, I'd have to go back and look now, I don't care, but I'm pretty damn sure I told the OP specific things about what he should be concerned with in a very abridged way (I could have wrote ten paragraphs) and mention to look up how to use FSX in Windows 10. I say that often because there is indeed a method to the madness. One for sure thing is the missing Directx 9c that FSX and FS2004 use.

I think a lot of users come here with a brand new computer running Windows 10 and have issue after issue and because of that there really needs to be a sticky here on how to use these old Sims (FS2004/FSX) in Windows 10. That way I can just point to a link and be done with it.

Yeah, I run Windows 7 because I'm not a fool. LOL Well, I do run a pretty damn tight ship. I don't want to write 5+ paragraphs on what it all entangles, but monitoring the NIC, and hard drive read, write and deletions are also monitored. ALL downloaded files (that aren't VBS scripts and what have you) are scanned at Virus Total. I also make periodic full 1:1 disk clones.

Have I used Windows 10? Yes, currently. I have two instances in VMware. One is a normal Windows 10 install and another is something called Windows 10 AME. I've monitored all input/output traffic on the network interface with Windows 10 running and there is an abhorrent of crap reaching out to no less than 20 ASNs. With Windows 10 AME there's maybe a few IPs I caught and there's some other things I noticed that I've been meaning to let the creators know about. Windows XP and 7 have no such data pouring in and out of a fresh install. You'll see just Windows time checking and a connection every now and then to an Akamai cloud server IP to let you know if you have Internet or not. Ever see that exclamation point in the network adapter icon when there's no apparent Internet but just networking? That's because Windows couldn't ping an Akamai server IP, and when that happens the OS assumes you have no Internet and then invokes the exclamation point in the NIC icon in the task bar letting you know there's no Internet. But that could be bad DNS resolution or something as well I'm sure. Well, I'm not sure. There may be no DNS resolution with that at all.

What I've noticed on the Internet is lots of people defending Windows 10, and lots of people say it's crap. And these are facts and I can cite sources if you want. I've seen it since 2015. Really funny because when Windows 8 came out everyone defended that crap App OS as well. YouTube 'Francis hates Windows 8' for a good laugh. LOL

At any rate. I've looked at all the CVEs (Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures) for Windows 10 since its inception in 2015 to now, and compared its number of CVEs to Windows 7 for that narrow time frame of 6 years. You know what I found out? Windows 10 is already over taking Windows 7 in the CVE department. Yet they claim Windows 10 is "really secure" and all this crap. No, it's an OS that is built upon low QC (Quality Control) requiring constant updates to fix those things and that's why it's so-called "secure." The other thing here is the marketing. It might stem from the whole "Surface" thing, but Windows 8 and 10 are built on the premise of "Apping" / mobile devices and kicked the PC user to the curb. The massive amount of telemetry in the Windows 10 OS is like a smartphone or tablet (I control that, too).

Final thoughts:

You can strip Windows 10 with NTlite, but an update will just reinstall everything and blatantly disregard anything you did. You can turn of updates via the update service or group policy, but then you can't use critical updates if you want them. The Windows 10 AME website has instructions to do this in a better way.

Microsoft has turn the user into their corporate cash cow, your phone also owns you, and you're the product. Just scan a product QR code for example and let them know everything about you in an instant right down to some 16 feet via satellites over head. The directional capabilities of the 5G cellphone band (around 30 GHz) has even better position awareness. So there's another possible metric to go alone with the metadata. Will work great for the 9-11 dispatch console though. I know a little about that technology as well, encompassing radio communications, modulation schemes and what have you. I also know about criminal investigation, escape and evasion, how to stay invisible in society, private investigator tricks, cyber security, TSCM, I read books on Delta Force, Navy SEALS, SAS, CIA and you name it subjects. I know corporations hire focus groups and psychologists. That's why products have this specific name, this color and how that damn tune got stuck in your head. To think at one time they wanted to turn the moon's surface into a giant AD billboard. Now a little marketing scheme brewed up in India and is else where where your TV will play an ultra sound blip you can't hear (maybe your dog and cat) and your "smart" phone picks it up and sends the data back to corporate HQ letting them know what TV channel you had on, what you were watching, along with all the metadata from your phone or tablet. I'm waiting for the Amazon Echo Public smart speaker that issues profanity citations like in the movie Demolition Man. Well, silicon is going the way of the dodo, so perhaps we don't have to worry anymore..

Remember that old saying money talks & BS walks? It's extraordinarily true like you wouldn't believe. Just ask the CIA, or some big time corporation, gang, super PAC, you freaking name it.

Anyway, you quoted and I answered. I could go on and on like the Energizer Bunny since the '80s. I remember that commercial...

Well, you sure replied!

To me it is a question of NOT doing things the way Microsoft or the cell phone companies want, but the way I want.

I plunk down my money for the product, I do with it what I damn well please. I hate my cell phone, and I only have it because my wife insists I have one. I only really carry it when I am travelling, and then I have it turned off most of the time.

Likewise I tailor my computer to my needs, and not to Microsoft's.

Jorgen

With all respect, BULL yourself.

If there was something wrong with Win 10 with respect to FSX, no one would be able to install FSX on Win 10.

End of THAT story.

Jorgen

I echo that. Jorgen has identified the `problem`, I suspect

As I said: Did they ALSO reinstall FSX? Probably not, so you could be messing any number of SimConnect or Visual C++ redistributables...

You need to be much more thorough with what you, and you shop, have done.