Re-installede Fs9 in Win10: Won't Open

JonBuck

Reinstalled fresh Fs9 into Windows 10. Worked for years before, but this one won't open.

Installed in both C & D drives...makes no difference.

Starts to open then just stops cold. Tried all the recommended compatibility settings for Win10 with no difference.

This Fs9 acts as if I have forgotten a step or two.

Is there something I should have turned on or something I should have turned off?

FSX has been running on the same Win10 Cptr without a hitch. I think it was just Fs9 that corrupted itself during a 'save' operation, and not Win10 itself.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm' really stuck on this one!!!.

JonB :confused:

Opps...that's one I missed. Added it in and Fs9 finally opened. Many thanks for the reminder!!

However I notice that the default install is doing a couple of odd things that the corrupted version started doing: for instance...

a. Click on ALT for the top line menu banner and the view turns black. The menu should stay on at the top and the view remains open. For example; hit the ALT button and the view goes black. Click on a menu command and the view returns but the Alt menu disappears. Any way to control that?

b. If I want to move things like the GPS or Throttle Quadrant or a second view to a 2nd monitor screen I can't 'cause the "Undock" command line is greyed out. Do you know how to activate it?

BTW Never experienced any of these 'glitches' with the pre-corruption FS-9. And FSX runs normally so something is effecting FS-9.

Any thoughts?

I really appeciate your response and help. Thanks again JSMR!

JonB

With a hint from an earlier thread on the subject of "Undock", I think I've solved the aforementioned problems with the "ALT" menu, black screen and the greyed-out "Undock" command. And it turns out to be very simple!

For example: Set up a flight & open it; hit the "Alt" button to bring up the menu banner at the top; go to "Views" and un-click "Full Screen". That's all.

The view stays on with the menu bar at the top. Now, pick any one of the sub-windows like GPS, Radio Stack, Throttle Quadrant, etc. and bring it up. Slide your curser to the top of the sub-window and a little window appears. In it the "Undock" is no longer greyed-out. So, click it and you can now move the window to a second monitor. It works! Mystery solved!

I think I should have discovered this back when I bought a second monitor just so I could "Undock" some instruments and move them to the new monitor where they are easier to refer to in flight....especially when practicing instrument approaches when your eyes are the busiest.

Gotta make a note of this for future reference if/when I have to reinstall Fs9 again.

JonB :D

Hey for 75 USD an hour, I'm happy to answer any question. :p

Don't worry, I did the same thing and forgot about the no cd thingy.

a. I have the same issue. Only seems to work ok in windowed mode. So I have to alt-enter to use it. SO annoying. I'm not sure what the fix is either.

b. I've never used a 2nd monitor with W10 yet. I could do it on W7 ok as well. Hopefully some proper forum members will be along soon to assist.