Old 3rd party airport over defaultna

cowbananas

I'm using FSX with the Acceleration pack (not Steam) and have installed an old 3rd party airport designed for FS9. It works fine in FSX and the old 1960s runways are there too. It completely hides the default FSX airport so no problem there.

My question is...should I delete the default airport from FSX? The old airport geographically more or less is located where the default airport lies in the real world, give or take a hundred metres or so. Both have the same ID "OLBA" which is Beirut , Lebanon in the Middle East.

Could I rename the old OLBA to something else and still have it? I'm trying to add ILS to the old airport in ADE and it's not taking. I suspect that having two OLBA designations might have something to do with it.

Hope someone can help, I'm pretty stuck at the moment.

Thank you,

Chris

Edited by cowbananas

• 2 weeks later...
deleting a default airport is a big no-no.

A default airport file contains several airports. Not just one. Deleting the file would delete them all and cause big issues.

That is indeed correct. Any changes you make should be in the addon airport. If it completely hides the default airport then I am not sure why you want to remove it

Edited by scruffyduck

"If it completely hides the default airport then I am not sure why you want to remove it"

Thank you for your replies. The reason I want to remove the default airport is because the ILS of the default airport is interfering with the ILS of the add-on airport The approach paths of both overlap each other.

Both airports share the same geographical coordinates. The runway configuration is almost identical but the add-on ILS can't get through so it can't be used.

Removing the default ILS would be a big step.

Chris

Thank you Jon, I will look into doing that. Still finding my way around ADE.

While I'm here, is it also possible to remove minute parts of default scenery? In this case, the add-on airport completely covers the default which is good. It is a coastal airport with a sea wall adjacent to one runway (in the default scene.)

The add-on scenery doesn't have the sea wall but the wall lies outside the add-on and is basically a default scenery sea wall, if you follow. Can I remove the wall somehow. It would be replaced or covered with basic sea water.

before we go further describe more ckearly. Its all a bit mirky now.

Which addon airport exactly. (plus link maybe)

And describe ILS issue.

Ils freq. and heading default airport...

Ils f&h addon airport... ( is different or not??)

And what Ils do you want?

and why?

for AI? for user aircraft?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Which addon airport exactly. (plus link maybe)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=84773837 It's the second file listed "olba1959.zip" I know that this add-on was built for FS9 but it does work perfectly well, with the advice of the author, in FSX. He is fine with me altering the ILS for my own use.

And describe ILS issue.

The ILS (all four runways) for the default modern airport lies over the ILS of the old add-on airport (all four runwyas) and prevents me from tuning my aircraft to the add-on airport ILS. . From what I can understand, perhaps the default ILS has to be orphaned but I will take your advice on that. Basically, I need to eliminate any traces of the fsx default Beirut airport (OLBA) that I possibly can and have the ILS settings of the add-on airport show and work.

Ils freq. and heading default airport...

OK, there are four runways as follows for the default airport....I'm not sure how to work out the exact heading of a runway.

RWY 03_Hdg=290_ILS=110.70MHz

RWY 17_Hdg=166_ILS=110.10MHz

RWY 18_Hdg=174_ILS=109.50MHz

RWY 21_Hdg=209_ILS=111.90 MHz

Ils f&h addon airport... ( is different or not??)

The add-on (olba1959) has four runways in an X formation. This add-on airport sits on top of the default airport when installed in FSX and hides it too, including the default runways. So far, so good.

RWY 04 I have no ILS or heading data because of the default airport over ruling the add-on

RWY 18 Hdg=174_ILS=109.50MHz

RWY 22 I have no ILS or heading data because of the default airport over ruling the add-on

RWY 36 I have no ILS or heading data because of the default airport over ruling the add-on

And what Ils do you want?

and why?

for AI? for user aircraft?

I don't mind what frequency the new ILS data has, just need it to work. It is only for user aircraft, not AI.

Thank you so much for trying to help me out on this problem.

I will ins all the addon to take a xloser look. Today or tomorrow.

For now, this:

It sounds like you have two addons active at the same time. Two for that airport.

[Normally, (with only one addon installed,) the default Ils freq would not be available.]

(Don't edit default files for now. You can easily mess up something that way that would be irreversible.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Il88pp, thank you for looking at this problem, very much appreciated. I haven't tried to change anything to the default airport as I figured it would be problematic. I only have the one add-on activated as far as I can see in the Scenery listing but I think I can see what you mean. I'll not touch anything until you reply. Thanks again!!