MS FSX Steam versus Gold ???

mikeperry

ON Amazon I am told I can purchase a used copy of FSX for 80+ U.S. dollars. I can go to Steam and get a copy for less than $30 U.S. dollars. Am I missing something here? I have been away from FS for a few years and I don't have a system that can run the latest version. I am likely going to go through Steam but before I do I would like to know if there are any hidden downsides to doing so. Using Win 10 BTW

I don't know why this is, but it's a fact: the Steam download version costs less than the disk FSX Gold.

What is inside the Steam package is the FSX Gold edition, with a couple of fixes and enhancements, so if I was to get FSX today, I would definitely get the Steam edition.

Just do yourself a favor - install it not to where Steam wants it, but to something simple, like C:\FSX.....

Jorgen

Yes, FSX Steam is the best version of FSX you can get right now with FSX Gold features and some improvements for modern systems.

But keep in mind that some addons designed for FSX Gold won't work well/doesn't work with FSX Steam, FS Recorder 2.x is one, which just crashes FSX Steam on startup with it just refuses the current version of FSX (simconnect to be exact). For that, you've to use FS Recorder v1.331, but even that has warnings for incompatibility at startup.

@ mikeperry...

Just so that you are aware - the comment made by Jorgen regarding the suggested location where to store FSX will not be doable with the steam version. This is because Steam requires a specific folder structure...see this THREAD for info....

That said I would suggest that you don't install the Steam client into its default suggested location which will be C:\ProgramFiles\Steam\...

@ surrodox2001...

IME the main cause regarding FSX vs FSX-Steam incompatibility issues is this - the Steam Edition is built using a later version of the Visual C++ Runtime libraries - specifically the VS2013 compiler for better optimization and performance. The boxed version was built using the VS2005 compiler. Although compiled using a later version the Steam change log states that it retains backward compatibility of with VS2005.

However, as part of its install process the Steam installer installs the VS2013 libraries if it is not present BUT DOES NOT install VS2005 if it is not present. Therefore it is important to check that you have VS2005 libraries installed as well - this is especially important with a new Win10 based PC (or a older PC that has a new vanilla Win 10 install) as older versions of such 'libraries' are not including by default. Some FSX addons also make use of VS 2008 VS2010 and VS2012 so it is a good ideal to check the product requirements before hand. VS versions can be found HERE.

Additionally, problems can be caused by another set of essential 'libraries' required by FSX that may be missing - namely .NET Framework versions 3.5 and 4 - if required they can be downloaded from HERE.

Regards

Brian

Additionally, problems can be caused by another set of essential 'libraries' required by FSX that may be missing - namely .NET Framework versions 3.5 and 4

Both were released after FSX. How can they be required?

Luke

Both were released after FSX. How can they be required?

Luke

Correct...but...

Basically, .NET libraries are used by many programs and their main use is to allow developers to easily code functions within a 'game' or 'app'. Additionally, it allows developers to make sure their product installs the way it was intended and that it runs properly on the targeted platform. .Net is required to be present on a PC to allow the 'game' or 'app' to function correctly.

Many FSX addons also utilise the ,NET libraries and again, therefore, they need to be installed.

Earlier versions of .NET that where available when FSX was first released (it used V2) have been 'officially' retired from use by MS and were rolled into V3.5...

A google search using the phrase does FSX require .Net framework will give you plenty of info on the subject...

Regards

Brian

Download went well. Good to be back in the sky. Still working on setting up things and especially trying to understand how I can make the autopilot follow a flightplan. I think I used to be able to do that in FS2002. In any case, I am having fun with it.

Quick question: Does anyone know of any scenery for KSEE Gillespie? It is the nearest airport to my house and what I prefer to fly out of. Thank you all again.

Additionally, it allows developers to make sure their product installs the way it was intended and that it runs properly on the targeted platform.

Please don't repeat what a certain late AVSIM moderator used to say. It's completely incorrect.

.NET is not just a set of libraries; it's a complete virtual machine that runs an intermediate byte code, not machine language. It has nothing to do with installation; I can install my .NET-reliant add ons onto a machine with an incompatible version and they will install fine... just not run. :)

Windows 7 came with 3.5 preinstalled. Windows 8 had 4.5, and Windows 10 flavors come with 4.6 all the way to 4.8 preinstalled, depending on the Windows version. There's simply no need to install anything, and FSX didn't need anything - go run dependency walker and tell me where the dependency to MSCOREE.DLL is.

Many FSX addons also utilise the ,NET libraries and again, therefore, they need to be installed.

I can make an FSX add-on today that requires .NET6 but that doesn't make FSX require it.

A google search using the phrase does FSX require .Net framework will give you plenty of info on the subject...

Most of which is wrong, especially that at the "other" site where the moderators liked to repeat stuff they knew nothing about and threatened anyone who actually worked in the space who had the temerity to challenge them.

Luke