Aviation movies

Of course there's a ton of them out there ... I'm looking for drama movies that are based on actual aircraft incidents. A couple of examples...

"Sully", "The Rescue of Flight 232", "Rescue of flight 771" ...

-Falling from the sky: Flight 174 (or Freefall: Flight 174) is a movie about the "Gimli Glider" event, an Air Canada aircraft who ran out of fuel half-way his flight.

-Piche, entre ciel et terre (don't know if it's dub in english) is about the Air Transat Airbus who made an incredible landing at the Accores islands, with no engines due to a major fuel leak.

Those two events are in the same class as "Sully" the Miracle of the Hudson, as there was no casualties... and pretty good airman ship.

Hope that other members here have suggestions too, I'm also a fan...

Edited by Daniel.T

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

Island in the Sky (1953, BW) is based on experiences that Ernest K. Gann had and wrote about in Fate Is The Hunter. A C-47 went down in Canada in winter, and they had to search for it.

The High and the Mighty (1954, color) is also about experiences Ernest K. Gann had and wrote about in Fate Is The Hunter. It's about an airline flight to Hawaii.

Memphis Belle (1944) is a documentary about the first B-17 to make 25 missions during WW II.

Memphis Belle (1990) is a fictionalized Hollywood drama about the first B-17 to make 25 missions during WW II.

The Spirit of St. Louis (1957, color) is about Lindbergh's 1927 flight across the Atlantic to Paris.

Reach for the Sky (1956) is a biography of Douglas Bader who, though he lost both legs, was a noted British fighter pilot in WW II.

Pancho Barnes (1989) is about a remarkable woman who made speed records early on, did movie stunt flying and more. In addition, she was the one who ran the Happy Bottom Riding Club near Murdoc (now Edwards AFB) during the time that the Bell X1 project was trying to break mach 1.

Airport (1970), though fiction, is about Lincoln International Airport (a thinly disguised O'Hare) and its problems with a major snowstorm. Though not based on a specific incident, it takes from real life and is one of the rare aviation movies that not only follows the book rather closely but also gives a mostly accurate look at aviation in that period.

Above and Beyond (1952) is about Paul Tibbets, the pilot of the Enola Gay on the Hiroshima mission.

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944) is about the Jimmy Doolittle raid on Tokyo in 1942.

Just about all of the above are based on a book of the same name.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 2 weeks later...

"Drama" being a subjective term, perhaps the "Target" docs on YouTube might interest you:

Target for Today -- Step by step planning for an 8th AF Bombing raid on targets in Europe

Target for Tonight -- same, but covering a night time raid by RAF Bombers

Target: Tokyo -- the first B-29 raid on Tokyo

Alan 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I watched the movie Gimli Glider twice now over the years, and just like the Sullenberger incident every pilot that tried to land in the same situation in the sim all failed!!!! The Gimli Glider was very lucky to have Capt. Pearson he was trained as glider pilot.... I took Gliding lessons in my late teens, due to changing events at the time I never did a solo flight!!

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I took Gliding lessons in my late teens, due to changing events at the time I never did a solo flight!!

Yes, glider training/experience can teach you a lot, both in aircraft handling and in "microweather," the effects of heating, wind, etc. on the movement of air, and how it relates to lift, sink, aircraft performance and more. Back in the mid-70s, I had my Commercial, CFII, etc. and took up towing gliders on the side. In the process I got my Glider Commercial, and learned a BUNCH. More than once it helped me avoid incidents, so I can easily understand how such things helped Sully and Pearson and Hayes and others.

There are a number of incidents over the years that glider training (and sometimes aerobatic training) has helped various pilots (both airline and others) save a terrible situation. Basically, the more kinds of training and experiences you have, the better prepared you are to deal with unusual situations, so that gliders, aerobatics, tailwheels, instruments, upset training (as distinct from aerobatics) and other things can be a help.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes, glider training/experience can teach you a lot, both in aircraft handling and in "microweather," the effects of heating, wind, etc. on the movement of air, and how it relates to lift, sink, aircraft performance and more. Back in the mid-70s, I had my Commercial, CFII, etc. and took up towing gliders on the side. In the process I got my Glider Commercial, and learned a BUNCH. More than once it helped me avoid incidents, so I can easily understand how such things helped Sully and Pearson and Hayes and others.

There are a number of incidents over the years that glider training (and sometimes aerobatic training) has helped various pilots (both airline and others) save a terrible situation. Basically, the more kinds of training and experiences you have, the better prepared you are to deal with unusual situations, so that gliders, aerobatics, tailwheels, instruments, upset training (as distinct from aerobatics) and other things can be a help.

good read thanks.......

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz