I have executed flight Lesson 8 six times and each time it says I failed because I landed at the wrong airport. I take off at Flagstaff, AZ (FLG) to go to Sedona, AZ (KSEZ). I've landed in both directions but I get the message: "You landed on the wrong runway and failed the lesson." HELP! Note, each time has been a fresh reload of the program!

Hello

I have experienced problems with another tutorial which I found was my mistake HOWEVER it seems to me that if you don't execute a particular 'instruction/objective' correctly then that 'objective' is not considered complete and the sim will not 'move' onto the next objective Each objective is displayed top right of screen and appears in WHITE and changes to GREEN when completed.

You probably are already aware of this especially if you have completely all the previous training missions but I thought I would point that out just in case.

If I was better at navigation (haven't tried lesson 8 yet) I would see if I have the same problem.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I also found out that each 'objective' MUST be completed so that it turns GREEN before subsequent objectives can be completed and this sometimes results in what you experienced.

John

I too am struggling to figure out why I am not conforming to what is expected, in reference to the first solo flight out of Sedona.

Based upon the prior lesson, it seems that after reaching altitude, you have to turn left, then essentially do a 180 as as part of the crosswind leg, going west of the runway, then turning around for another 180 to "join the pattern, to fly to the east as part of the crosswind leg. You then go north on the downwind leg as is intuitively correct and make your landing from base.

The picture at the beginning of the exercise does not do that, making just a circle in one continuous direction. As an armchair pilot, I have no idea if that is what would be expected in real life or not. It certainly is not what I expected, especially based on the picture at the beginning of the trip.

Is my not making the two 180's the reason I fail?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on this first solo flight?

I too struggled with this lesson and did it a few times before I was able to complete it successfully.

I ended up checking Youtube for a video on this lesson and watched it to see EXACTLY what the author did which I then tried to copy and eventually was able to complete it.

John

Take off heading 214, climb at 73 knots, flaps up at 300 ft if using flaps, and continue to 500 ft. Turn left 90 degrees until 1000 ft. Traffic patterns are usually 1000 ft AGL, but it can vary and is shown on the charts. Turn 90 degrees left again downwind, maintaining 1000 ft. Here you trim and throttle back to maintain 1000 ft and about 70- 80 knots (opinions vary). The runway should seem to be running about half way up the strut of your C152. Abeam the threshold (piano keys) first degree of flaps. Continue until threshold is 45 degrees behind you and turn 90 degrees left again on base leg. Descend to 500 ft, slow to about 70 knots, applying second degrees of flap until you can turn another 90 degrees to finals. Apply third degree of flaps if necessary and descend to the runway aiming for the numbers. Pass over the threshold at 60 knots. Cut throttle at threshold, flare when the runway fills the sides of your peripheral vision and touch down somewhere near the touchdown marks on the runway. For light aircraft the landing pattern is usually rectangular. However a military pilot I knew stated that they did a sweeping turn into finals from downwind and I once observed a USAF C141 Starlifter doing exactly that. I suspect that the advantage of keeping to 90 degree turns is that you have a better chance of seeing any conflicting (unsuspected) traffic. Landing patterns usually use left hand turns as it is easier for the pilot to see and judge position but there are cases of right handed patterns when there are obstructions or restrictions etc. Edited by nsproles

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.