Translucent textures?

eggeater

So I tried to install an old FS9 texture for the CS 707 on fsx. I managed to get it half-working, VC is there, the fuselage is properly textured, but for some strange reason, the back cargo door, and wheel doors and translucent. I'll get a screenshot to show you what I mean. Anyone else encountered this bug? I can go into depth of what I did to make the texture get to where it is.

a) in the FS9 texture folder, retain ONLY the below texture files (BMP, or DDS if you decided to convert them)

cn7Pvco.png

b) add a texture.cfg, with following contents:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\texture\night
fallback.3=..\texture\spec
fallback.4=..\texture\bump

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

a) in the FS9 texture folder, retain ONLY the below texture files (BMP, or DDS if you decided to convert them)

cn7Pvco.png

b) add a texture.cfg, with following contents:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\texture\night
fallback.3=..\texture\spec
fallback.4=..\texture\bump

Wim

90% of the textures are non-translucent. The only ones that don't seem to work are the wheel doors, and the rear cargo door, as well as a small part of the rear fuselage. I realised I accidentally excluded 2 textures, so I'll reinsert them to see if that solves the problem.

What livery are we talking about?

A download link to the texture would be useful, or the site where you got it from.

Wim

I can't exactly remember where it was from. But I'm sure I can find it, I had to google it since many of CS liveries that are hosted on the website do not work anymore.

Anyway, I ended up finding it while typing: https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=108679 I hope this helps.

Not the correct link. This is a blue-striped/white tail aircraft. Nothing red as in yr pics.

FihcJ4Y.jpg

Wim

Oh, it was on the same area, so I may have clicked the wrong one. https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=travolta&CatID=root&Go=Search It was the top one I clicked, so something may have gone wrong.

Edit because I ended up realising it was the wrong site. Right click the download button and click open in new tab because it won't download just by clicking: https://www.captainsim.com/cgi-bin/products.pl?action=showliveries

Think I found it.

"707 Travolta Qantas by Ed Knapp" for CS Legandary 707 [FS9].

oroLgvm.jpg

Could reproduce the translucent gear bay doors and solved it by replacing the alpha layer in b707_b1_t.bmp and b707_b2_t.bmp.

With DXTBMP open the above files from a working texture folder.

Export their alpha layers to somewhere you can find them (eg desktop).

Then open the same files in the faulty texture folder with DXTBMP, import the previously saved alpha layers and save as BMP DXT3.

BEFORE

4aPhnvI.png

AFTER

JSbRmPM.png

IMO the purpose and use of the alpha layer has changed from FS9 to FSX.

Wim

Think I found it.

"707 Travolta Qantas by Ed Knapp" for CS Legandary 707 [FS9].

oroLgvm.jpg

Could reproduce the translucent gear bay doors and solved it by replacing the alpha layer in b707_b1_t.bmp and b707_b2_t.bmp.

With DXTBMP open the above files from a working texture folder.

Export their alpha layers to somewhere you can find them (eg desktop).

Then open the same files in the faulty texture folder with DXTBMP, import the previously saved alpha layers and save as BMP DXT3.

BEFORE

4aPhnvI.png

AFTER

JSbRmPM.png

IMO the purpose and use of the alpha layer has changed from FS9 to FSX.

Wim

This actually did work for me, unfortunately, it has had the adverse effect of turning the texture from HD to low-quality and blurry. I may try to see if other alpha's work, as I used the CS Qantas 707 that came with the 707.

unfortunately, it has had the adverse effect of turning the texture from HD to low-quality and blurry.

Almost there.

In DXTBMP make sure everything in the Mipmaps settings is unchecked as shown.

7OrsLMV.jpg

The alpha layer should be entirely WHITE, except for some windows (as shown above).

Also remember, if you transfer from a DDS in stead of a BMP, you have to flip it before saving.

Safest is to export/import from a BMP.

Wim

Almost there.

In DXTBMP make sure everything in the Mipmaps settings is unchecked as shown.

7OrsLMV.jpg

The alpha layer should be entirely WHITE, except for some windows (as shown above).

Also remember, if you transfer from a DDS in stead of a BMP, you have to flip it before saving.

Safest is to export/import from a BMP.

Wim

I tried swapping the alphas, this removed the non-HD problem, partially. The tail section, (not the tail itself just the rear end) is much brighter and less coloured. I've been swapping alphas, and I might try to take another FS9 texture that I have that works on FSX's alphas and see if they work.

The tail section, (not the tail itself just the rear end) is much brighter and less coloured.

You'll have to the same thing with BOTH b707_b1_t.bmp (nose) and b707_b2_t.bmp (tail), or there will a very noticable difference indeed.

The result will become brighter, that's true.

Less coloured, I dunno. A matter of taste I guess?

Wim

You'll have to the same thing with BOTH b707_b1_t.bmp (nose) and b707_b2_t.bmp (tail), or there will a very noticable difference indeed.

The result will become brighter, that's true.

Less coloured, I dunno. A matter of taste I guess?

Wim

While I did do both of those files, I believe the best way to show you is by actually showing you20210317203134_1.jpg20210317203150_1.jpg I'll try with an older FS9 alpha that I know works in FSX.