Settings changing

westway

I have FSX in Windows 10 and lately for some unknown reason my settings completely change, causing me to have to change them back to my original settings. I have no idea why this is happening but it's cause for frustration, just one more thing to contend with during the pandemic!:(

If you're not willing to provide a better explanation that would help us with an answer why did you ask the question in the first place?
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

To be a little more clear on what people are getting at, what exactly is changing? All settings? Specific settings? Have you installed any add-ons recently? Manually edited the fsx.cfg file? Your question is analogous to walking into the doctor's office and just saying your arm hurts. The doctor is going to need a little more info to properly treat it.

To be a little more clear on what people are getting at, what exactly is changing? All settings? Specific settings? Have you installed any add-ons recently? Manually edited the fsx.cfg file? Your question is analogous to walking into the doctor's office and just saying your arm hurts. The doctor is going to need a little more info to properly treat it.

SO, please explain what is actually happening.

All alterations to basic settings are in that .cfg file.

Have you changed that, AT ALL?

Good analogy, loki! You were too specific. I would have put it this way.... "Doc, I just don't feel right!" "What's wrong with me?"

This comes from experience being a field service tech working on business machines. Customers used that when describing what was wrong with their equipment. "It's just not working right!" :confused:

Sorry to rag on you, westway, but we need more info so we can help. ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Let me attempt to put the data in a way I hope will more specifically detail the setting changes.

In December I treated this 76 year old flight simmer to the Honeycomb Aeronautical Yoke and Throttle Quadrant for my FSX. The beauty of the equipment are the number of usable switches and buttons you can use, however this has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand. So back to my issue. In FSX I set up my control and axis settings for all the applicable setting usage I use in my aircraft, for example prop aircraft settings, i.e., throttle axis, prop axis, mixture axis, controls engine start and stop, gear, floats, etc.. Settings saved and functioning. Either hours later or another day and go to fly and go to use my equipment only to find that my throttle is not moving in relation to my equipment vs equipment in flight sim aircraft. This does NOT happen all the time but can occur in some cases every several days and/or weeks, never know when and why. Go to my settings in FSX and see that my original settings have changed to what I can only imagine is the default settings. No, no new add-ons etc. have been added to cause the changes.

Zippy, now there's a description for you - I can only say that I haven't experienced something like this on my own or other systems....

And Zippy, you also need the regrettably late Dr. Isaac Asimov's only psychiatrist joke (his second wife Janet was a psychiatrist, that's why this was the only one he was allowed to tell): two psychiatrists met in the street, one said to the other: "You're OK, how am I?"

Jorgen

Let me attempt to put the data in a way I hope will more specifically detail the setting changes.

In December I treated this 76 year old flight simmer to the Honeycomb Aeronautical Yoke and Throttle Quadrant for my FSX. The beauty of the equipment are the number of usable switches and buttons you can use, however this has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand. So back to my issue. In FSX I set up my control and axis settings for all the applicable setting usage I use in my aircraft, for example prop aircraft settings, i.e., throttle axis, prop axis, mixture axis, controls engine start and stop, gear, floats, etc.. Settings saved and functioning. Either hours later or another day and go to fly and go to use my equipment only to find that my throttle is not moving in relation to my equipment vs equipment in flight sim aircraft. This does NOT happen all the time but can occur in some cases every several days and/or weeks, never know when and why. Go to my settings in FSX and see that my original settings have changed to what I can only imagine is the default settings. No, no new add-ons etc. have been added to cause the changes.

Then SOMETHING is altering the base settings, assuming you're not.

Suggest finding that something and we can then tell yu how NOT to have it make thise changes.

Locking the FSX.cfg woiuld be my first recommendation...

Nope. . . .

Is it 'Nope' because the issue described in the link that Charlie gave is not the same or relevant OR is it 'Nope' because the item he has pictured is not the same as that you own...?

Other thoughts and suggestions on this problem...

1. Does the 'reset' change the settings back to the FSX defaults for both Key and Yoke/Throttle settings or only the Yolk/Throttle settings...?

2. Does it happen with just a specific single aircraft model that you fly most or does it happen to other aircraft...?

It is worth noting that some aircraft models available can, when loaded, override other user set control and view settings, instead using pre-programmed settings defined by the author....

3. Have you installed any drivers and/or software that came with the product...?

If yes, it could be that the updates are being downloaded and installed in the background and causing the reset. This may be especially relevant if it only affects the Yoke/Throttle settings.

An option to consider making life a little bit easier for you until you are able to resolve the issue...

Once you have reset the control options to your liking:

Go to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

Make a COPY of the Standard.xml - then rename the COPY to something like Standard_Good.xml. This will give you a backup copy with all the settings as you require them.

Make a note of the Date Modified and Size details (these only change when a change is made) of the Standard.xml file and store in a safe location.

Next time you suffer the issue you can then:

Check the Date Modified and Size details of the Standard.xml file to see when the change occurred and if the size has changed - this may be useful in trying to find out the cause of the issue...

Delete the Standard.xml file and then create a copy of the Standard_Good.xml - then rename the copy to Standard.xml.

Regards

Brian