Concerns about FS2004 and Windows 7

Geomatos

Hello pilots,

I have some concerns about FS9 and all the add-on scenery and other purchases I have and how upgrading to Windows 7 from windows XP will affect them. I'm trying to see, by your kind responses, just how much I have to uninstall or leave alone before upgrading. i have some questions that I would appreciate some advise, please.

1. Do I have to uninstall FS9 and all the utilities I have before upgrading to Windows 7?

2. Can I copy and paste the FS9 folder and put it into my C: drive?

3. What other issues will i encounter from those who upgraded to Windows 7 from XP?

thank you,

Jorge

The only thing that wouldn't run on System 7 for me was the FSDS 2 installer. Note that was version 2. I found a way to take it off my XP computer that worked. If your upgrade maintains the XP registry and all programs, that should be all that's needed. Note that if you have FS9 installed into any Program Files folder, you may now have OS permission issues.

If so, I would do this:

1. Cut the FS9 folder and paste it outside any Program Files folder. I used C:FS/FS2004.

2. Use the free Flight1 Registry Fix program to reset the registry to the new location.

If you are starting over, my way to transfer:

1. Install Fs9 onto your new/updated computer using the folder name and location you want for your final installation (choose Custom). Do NOT install into any Program Files folder! I used C:FS/FS2004.

2. Rename the folder you just installed by adding something like Backup to the folder name.

3. Paste in your old FS9 folder onto your new/updated computer right next to the renamed folder. Now rename your pasted folder to the same name you used when you installed Fs9 in step 1.

4. Re-install any programs/addons that don't work.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

1. Do I have to uninstall FS9 and all the utilities I have before upgrading to Windows 7?

I would not do an in place upgrade. You'd want to just install Windows 7 from the get go. Which of course means you have to back up all your data and reinstall programs. Yes, the Sim too. It's why I seldom do reinstall due to the LOADS of stuff I and configurations I have to mess with.

Now an in place upgrade shouldn't cause issues with the Sim already installed. But if I were you, before you go on your merry way and do this I'd make a 1:1 clone of that drive to another drive of equal or greater size. Do not have two dives installed in the computer at the same time while installing an OS. What will happen is that the boot loader may get written to the other hard drive.

2. Can I copy and paste the FS9 folder and put it into my C: drive?

You can, but third-party add-ons will have to be reinstalled with their installers. If you're moving installs you may want to use the FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool from here: https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

3. What other issues will i encounter from those who upgraded to Windows 7 from XP?

Two issues.

1) You'll want to install the Sim to the root of C drive and outside of the programs folder. This folder is protected by Windows Vista on up and can cause issues with add-ons and what not.

2) When you add an add-on to the add-on folder, you have to click inside the white space for the name or path (can't remember which) to show up. Watch this video. https://iblueyonder.com/video-tutorial-adding-scenery-to-fsx-in-windows-7/

Is there a reason why you are moving to 7 for FS2004? If you just have one computer just for FS2004 and it has XP, I'd keep it. Unless of course you want a faster CPU and what not. 7 will work, and it's what I use for FS2004 and FSX.

The only thing that wouldn't run on System 7 for me was the FSDS 2 installer. Note that was version 2. I found a way to take it off my XP computer that worked. If your upgrade maintains the XP registry and all programs, that should be all that's needed. Note that if you have FS9 installed into any Program Files folder, you may now have OS permission issues.

If so, I would do this:

1. Cut the FS9 folder and paste it outside any Program Files folder. I used C:FS/FS2004.

2. Use the free Flight1 Registry Fix program to reset the registry to the new location.

If you are starting over, my way to transfer:

1. Install Fs9 onto your new/updated computer using the folder name and location you want for your final installation (choose Custom). Do NOT install into any Program Files folder! I used C:FS/FS2004.

2. Rename the folder you just installed by adding something like Backup to the folder name.

3. Paste in your old FS9 folder onto your new/updated computer right next to the renamed folder. Now rename your pasted folder to the same name you used when you installed Fs9 in step 1.

4. Re-install any programs/addons that don't work.

Hope this helps,

Your path is not valid. It should be something like C:\\FS2004 or what ever drive letter. C:FS/FS2004 doesn't even make sense. There's not even any backward slashes. Forward slashes are used in networking. And you NEVER want to cut a massive folder. Just copy it then after that procedure is done delete the original folder. This is especially true portable USB data transfers. Don't use cut, only copy & paste. Cut should be only reserved for on the hard drive data moving or between two installed hard drives that are not USB. And I would never cut a large folder. I'd only use cut for small stuff. Reason being is all you need is data/OS hiccup or a power loss and your cut data is gone. Now you have to use some recovery software or hope a shadow copy has that data.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Have a look at my first post on this forum.

Copying from FS2004's default folder, followed by Flight1's Registry repair works.

In fact, I have a copy of a default FS2004 install, with my favorite addons on a portable drive, with 8 unique installs.

This works for Windows 7 - Windows 10.. I'm using Windows 10 64bit, no issues at all.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa