Installing FSX on new computer

I purchased a new computer to run FS 2020. Attempted to reinstall fSX on new computer now running on old. Install went well and when I attempted to start I keep getting a black screen and unable to run. I tried many suggestions unable to correct problem. Cannot understand why runs great old slower computer but not on new.

Hi Steve,

Without fully knowing what 'suggestions' you have tried without success here are a few that you may have already tried but are known to resolve the issue you face....

First - check the FSX Graphics Setting page to see if DX 10 Preview is selected - if so untick the box and test. Also, whilst on this page ensure that the FSX screen resolution is set to the same as your monitors native setting. By default FSX loads at 1024x768x16 - change it to the default native setting for your monitor - i,e if its 1920x1280x32 set it to this...

If the problem is resolved the the following suggestion is NOT needed BUT may be beneficial...

Direct X (DX) - FSX requires version 9 (actually 9c to be specific), and although it is included on the installation disks, it is woefully out of date and incompatible with Win 10 (Win 10, depending on the build state source file, only ships with v10 or above). Again I suggest that you download and install the DX Redistributable pack from HERE. The pack includes versions 9, 10 and 11 and the install process will only install missing versions and/or replace missing/corrupted/incompatible files of the versions it finds installed. Click on the download link and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Once the installation process is complete, reboot using the RESTART option. The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated.

Also worth noting is that, by default, Win 10 ships without some of the earlier versions of 'libraries' that FSX and FSX addons may rely on. These 'essential' libraries may or may not be on your PC and may be required if you experience other issues You can use Programs and Features to check if you have any of the following 'libraries' installed or, if you wish, simply download and install them - the installers will (as the DX package did) check for any previous install and will replace any missing/invalid/corrupt files or install the complete package as appropriate.

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable packs - specifically version 2005 and 2008 but I also recommend installing 2010 as well. You can find download links for earlier versions HERE.

You will need to download the relevant 'bit' version for your OS (i.e. 32 or 64 bit). As with the DX install DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Install each package separately, starting with the oldest version, and reboot using the RESTART option between each install.

.NET Framework - specifically versions 3.5 and 4 - download from HERE - download and install using the same procedure for the C++ files.

It is worth pointing out that you can have multiple versions of these 'libraries' installed. They are not just required by FSX but are used by many programs and apps. They will work happily along side each other and a program or app will automatically use the most compatible version.

A final thought - some people will suggest running a manual windows update after install the packs but my preference is not to. The windows updater service runs regularly to check for updates and will soon pick up any updates if available.

Regards

Brian

Brian, I will, with respect, correct you a bit here.

While, on a 32-bit OS, it is enough to download and install the 32-bit versions of these libraries (the x86 versions), on a 64-bit OS you should download and install both the 64-bit (x64) and the 32-bit (x86) versions.

Since the computer in question is new, I would wager (odds 5-1, a fiver in the currency of your choice) that it has a 64-bit Windows version.

Jorgen

Try reinstalling fsx but not in the "program files" folder, i.e. make the path "C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X". I had odd things happening with my first install but when reinstalled as above all went well!

Good Luck

hang on...

make sure to install:

Fsx Acceleration disk?

or, if you do not have Fsx Acceleration disk, make sure to install:

Fsx SP1 and SP2 (Service Pack 1 and 2). (Can download the service packs free online.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I purchased a new computer to run FS 2020. Attempted to reinstall fSX on new computer now running on old. Install went well and when I attempted to start I keep getting a black screen and unable to run. I tried many suggestions unable to correct problem. Cannot understand why runs great old slower computer but not on new.

A bit of a stab in the dark here, but worth checking.

With newer versions of Windows 10, I have found that I cannot run FSX in full screen. I get the symptoms you are describing.

I can run in Windowed mode. Can you get to the start screen? If so go into the settings and change it to run in windows.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

Interesting, I always run in full-screen, and have done so from the very early Windows 10....

Jorgen

I always did too, but one day after an update it would not run. Went back to windowed mode and it works.

I may have to try full screen mode again. I sure like it better that way, as I use 3 monitors and undocking the views that are to be moved to other monitors is a pain in the behind.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

When will people ever learn MS created this abomination when they made W10 they made sure you

could not run FSX through W10 even though people have had success in running FSX on W10 for me

I stick with W7 I have no problems, the real crooks are MS that is what you are dealing with.

Casey

@ Casey...

What a contradiction....

Making claims that MS has quote made sure unquote that FSX cannot be run on a Win 10 system whilst admitting that others have been successful is clearly unwarranted and false.

It is evident from the many users of Win 10 still enjoying FSX that it certainly can be run on Win 10. Additionally, many users do so with out any issues.

Likewise, whilst you may have had no problems running FSX on Win 7 other users have - as documented in many threads in the forum.

Most issues encountered on a Win 10 system are well documented and have fixes that work - same also for other versions of Windows. Indeed, many of the issue encountered are common ones that affect Win 7, 8 and 10.

As for the full screen/windowed mode issue - I have never encountered the issue and having checked today I have been able to run the sim in both modes although I normally run full screen,,,,

Regards

Brian