I think you may be faulting the program when it may be exterior factors, such as internet connection, write device on your system, file management, ect. There really is no difference in the standard and premium versions, the premium just has added aircraft and prettier airports for a few big airports.

What is your internet connection speed?

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Between 950Mbs and 1000Mbs. Agreed, the basic package is not likely a source of failure, but the point from where the download comes very well could be. I still haven't had any success with MS Store recognizing that there's a new download. It did, however, download an updated version of Software Services for me....

I have MSFS installed through Steam into a non default drive (Drive D) including my community folder.

After installing the patch last night, I started the Sim and I could see the FPS dropping from 30 to 9 quickly before my screen went back to desktop.

After about 5 tries I started the Sim again and to my surprise, it was another update..well not really. The ASOBO update did not respect the installation path as listed in my Steam App, so instead of installing the update on drive D: it began doing a FULL INSTALL into default drive C:

I ended up with TWO installations of MSFS . My community folder (empty except for landscapes purchased thru ORBX) and 150 GIG + of MSFS install files were still in drive D: As a result the SIM was crashing badly.

To solve this, I got on the Steam app, went to MSFS properties and selected to move my installation drive to drive C:. After that, I had to redownload all my purchased MODS from ORBX, re-install my driver for the Honeycomb quadrant (for the lights to work) and the logitech driver for my Radio console. I am back in business and it works fine again. Hitting 62 FPS at altitude on a 3440 x 1440 and about 42-45 a low flying levels, all in Ultra settings.

I did move my Community folder back to drive D. I can not believe how something so elemental, like the installation path of a patch can get so screwed up......

I hope this helps someone....

Edited by SpookyDiver

I have MSFS installed through Steam into a non default drive (Drive D) including my community folder.

After installing the patch last night, I started the Sim and I could see the FPS dropping from 30 to 9 quickly before my screen went back to desktop.

After about 5 tries I started the Sim again and to my surprise, it was another update..well not really. The ASOBO update did not respect the installation path as listed in my Steam App, so instead of installing the update on drive D: it began doing a FULL INSTALL into default drive C:

I ended up with TWO installations of MSFS . My community folder (empty except for landscapes purchased thru ORBX) and 150 GIG + of MSFS install files were still in drive D: As a result the SIM was crashing badly.

To solve this, I got on the Steam app, went to MSFS properties and selected to move my installation drive to drive C:. After that, I had to redownload all my purchased MODS from ORBX, re-install my driver for the Honeycomb quadrant (for the lights to work) and the logitech driver for my Radio console. I am back in business and it works fine again. Hitting 62 FPS at altitude on a 3440 x 1440 and about 42-45 a low flying levels, all in Ultra settings.

I did move my Community folder back to drive D. I can not believe how something so elemental, like the installation path of a patch can get so screwed up......

I hope this helps someone....

Thanks for this post I ended up having a complete install, which I thought was my fault at the time. but like I said no complaints it all works fine again..........

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

I just did the upgrade this morning. Steam Edition. I did notice that there was a Steam MSFS update installed yesterday so when I started the program today I got the Asobo update. 9.46GB + 30 updates in my Content manager.

In my quest to fly the coastlines of the Americas in my 172S, today I flew from MMCE to MMCP (Campeche). No issues. Greasy crosswind landing but I got it landed and parked.

The next flight will be sightseeing around Chichen Itza and then land in Merida. Using Real weather and real traffic.

Also, my install is on an external SSD. I experienced none of the issues some appear to have had. Just make sure you get that Steam download first if that helps.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

Within a handful of hours there were "thousands" of negative posts on the MS support page and other places, so you can consider yourself lucky that it worked for you. I have the Steam version of MSFS and the update crashed several times and upon the next few tries, it automatically started a whole new install in a different drive, not the one I had it set on Steam! Ended up with a double installation, 160 gigs of data in two different drives and a total crash. I have a U$S 7,000 rig, not including all my FS gear. I have just 3 games installed thru Steam. I am a super computer geek, been building them since early 1980's, doing mother board tracings (in the old days to squeeze as much power as possible) and keep my PC updated and super extra clean. If this crap happened to me, I can assure you that there is a problem with MSFS. You have 3 versions of MSFS, the disk version, the MS Store version and the Steam version and and everyone had different experiences. Even with a one Gig fiber connection, it hurts when you watch 160 gigs, downloading at less than 100....

I had a lot of problems with this update too. It took all day to get past the many facets this one presented; I was at the point of deleting and starting over when one last startup brought one more "update available" which fixed it.
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Even if the update runs fine, I'm fed up with them installing zillions of features I don't want, and having to delete them via Content Manager EVERY TIME.

Other than the mandatory core files, all those extras (repaints, lessons, challenges, bizarre airports in the middle of nowhere, etc) shouldn't be installed without asking first. Not to mention new versions of features (aircraft, etc) previously deleted.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

What I am starting to appreciate less and less is ASOBOs attitude about these issues.

August; Well it runs good for 80 percent of people so no problem

SUD 1; well it still runs good for 70 percent of people so no problem

SUD 2: still runs good for 60 percent so no problem

SUD 3; still runs good for 50 percent so no problem.

By this logic there wont be a problem until it doesn't even run on there own machines and the likely response will be; "we are considering a hot fix"

By this logic there wont be a problem until it doesn't even run on there own machines and the likely response will be; "we are considering a hot fix"

With any luck, that's just happened because they've confirmed hundreds of complaints that FPS drops down to single figures after a few minutes of flight for some users. Others are seeing this after 2 hours or more, while some get intermittent drops every few minutes then back to normal. One user has found a memory leak from 3 .dll's which he's reported to Zendesk, so tweaks, new drivers and even re-installing MSFS are futile.

My FPS is down to 4-5 even after reducing the graphics to Low-End, which is unplayable. I wonder what's on Netflix?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Even if the update runs fine, I'm fed up with them installing zillions of features I don't want, and having to delete them via Content Manager EVERY TIME.

Other than the mandatory core files, all those extras (repaints, lessons, challenges, bizarre airports in the middle of nowhere, etc) shouldn't be installed without asking first. Not to mention new versions of features (aircraft, etc) previously deleted.

try turning them off in the content manager, and you're not obliged to use the extra liveries which was very kind of ASOBO to throw in for free..... ....... I'd like to see this generation survive on a desert Island alone for 6 months, no technology just a used hammer and saw.....! ha

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

While I understand your frustration, for many of us, the program has been pretty trouble free. I just flew several flights this morning, and had about 30 fps consistently, which i have set to the frame rate limit. The latest update download took about 20 minutes. Something did turn off photogrammetry, but that was easy enough to spot and redo the setting.

There are so many varieties of hardware this enormous program is asking to accommodate, I am surprised there are not more issues that hit everyone. I don't know why your setup is having problems, but a lot of folks are not?? That can't all be dropped at the feet of Asobo!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I don't have ANY accurate statistics ( and Yes- I agree with Mark Twain that "There are three types of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics.”) to prove or disprove what percentage of the well over 2,000,000 MSFS 2020 owners are experiencing serious issues running the sim on their hardware setups.

I do not think it unreasonable to suggest that owners of anything seek out internet forums on which they can complain or vent their frustrations with whatever product it is, rather than seek out forums on which they can praise an item. This usually leads to the wrong perception that "Everyone is having major problems" rather than the reality that most owners of that thing are not.

I happen to be in the group that has NOT experienced any negative issues with MSFS that were not of my own making due to unfamiliarity with how things work or my low grade PC components which I have since upgraded.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I don't have ANY accurate statistics ( and Yes- I agree with Mark Twain that "There are three types of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics.”) to prove or disprove what percentage of the well over 2,000,000 MSFS 2020 owners are experiencing serious issues running the sim on their hardware setups.

I do not think it unreasonable to suggest that owners of anything seek out internet forums on which they can complain or vent their frustrations with whatever product it is, rather than seek out forums on which they can praise an item. This usually leads to the wrong perception that "Everyone is having major problems" rather than the reality that most owners of that thing are not.

I happen to be in the group that has NOT experienced any negative issues with MSFS that were not of my own making due to unfamiliarity with how things work or my low grade PC components which I have since upgraded.

You don't need to see stats. Tim is watching Netflix. It's taken Tim out as well. All you need to know! lol

Mark Daniels

You don't need to see stats. Tim is watching Netflix. It's taken Tim out as well. All you need to know! lol

I’m watching Sky Movies at the moment, but MSFS still works fine for me! Well it was fine last night anyway :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I updated MSFS yesterday. Took about 25 minutes to download and install, including updates in the Content Manager. Shut MSFS down and restarted my computer. Tried a flight in VR and was shocked at how jerky it was. It was unplayable and making me sick. I was ready to get on this forum and complain loudly as others seem to do a lot of. But, instead, I turned off MSFS and restarted my computer again. I fired up MSFS again and tried the same flight. What a difference. Now it's as smooth in VR as it was before updating and I have had no CTD's (fingers crossed). I don't know why it worked out like that but I won't complain. And it's still working fine today.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I updated MSFS yesterday. Took about 25 minutes to download and install, including updates in the Content Manager. Shut MSFS down and restarted my computer. Tried a flight in VR and was shocked at how jerky it was. It was unplayable and making me sick. I was ready to get on this forum and complain loudly as others seem to do a lot of. But, instead, I turned off MSFS and restarted my computer again. I fired up MSFS again and tried the same flight. What a difference. Now it's as smooth in VR as it was before updating and I have had no CTD's (fingers crossed). I don't know why it worked out like that but I won't complain. And it's still working fine today.

I’ve been flying in VR tonight and mine too is running very nicely. Quite smooth & fluid.

No complaints here :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles