An MSFS Adventure

I've told you about some of the things I've been involved with in the past, and i figured this job would be about the same. I had know idea that it would be more involved than anything I'd ever done before.

It all started early one morning, late in the winter. I landed in Key West.

3-7-2021-23-11.jpg

I hailed a cab and followed the instructions I had been given. After so many times, I knew the drill, I'd be told only what I needed to know, and only when I needed to know it. The directions led me to the food court of a shopping mall not far away.

3-7-2021-23-15.jpg

He was hard to find. My contact was dressed in khakis and a pale blue shirt, and he kept his head down until I got close.

"You made it," he said, as a l slipped into the seat across from him. The mall was just opening, and the workers were going about their chores getting the place ready.

I sipped at my drink. It was pretty bad, even for food court coffee. "Obviously."

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

He didn't react, just continued to munch on whatever it was that was in front of him, I didn't recognize it. After a bit, I started to get impatient.

"So are you going to tell me something?"

He took a long sip of his coffee, and I wondered if his was any better than mine. Finally, he set the paper cup down and looked at me. His glasses were somewhat darkened, making it a little hard to see what was happening behind them. "If it was up to me, I'd tell you everything. But it isn't my decision." He handed me a slip of paper, and along with it a phone. "I suggest you throw yours in the garbage."

With that he stood and turned to leave, but he hesitated and turned back. "One thing I will say, have your passport ready." With that he was gone, leaving most of his breakfast behind.

I'm no fool, I had done this too many times before and my passport was tucked into my pocket. I glanced at the paper, it was a parking spot number back at Key West airport. I headed back, even on a little island like Key West there are taxis, and before heading outside I made a stop to mail my phone back to my home in... well, I'm not going to tell you that.

I stepped outside into the morning sun. The parking area wasn't far away and waiting for me was a small jet.

3-8-2021-8-18.jpg

I stepped next to the plane, and even though I knew full well what to expect next, I jump a little at the sound of a woman's voice. I looked behind me to see two people. One was a woman who was not unattractive, she stood about five and a half feet tell and was dressed in a green sweater. With her was a balding man wearing a dark overcoat.

The woman smiled wide and stepped forward with her hand outstretched, but her companion held her back. She glanced at him, then back to me while clearing her throat. "Thank you for assisting us."

I pulled the door open and climbed inside to the cockpit. Setting the flight plan wasn't difficult, although getting the engines running took a bit more time. The plan they had given to me took me up to Washington, and before long we were airborne.

3-8-2021-8-50.jpg

Shortly after takeoff, I retracted the flaps and landing gear, and switched on the autopilot not long after. The plane flew a wide arc before capturing the course. As we climbed above 10,000 feet, I set a higher airspeed as we continued to climb.

After a time, the woman joined me in the cockpit.

"Hello," she said. I glanced at her with a nod. "I'm glad to have your help, I wish we could give you more information."

"Sure," I said. "Will you at least tell me your name?"

"You can call me Lisa."

"And your real name is?"

She smiled as she rose from the seat. "You can call me Lisa."

The plane rocked from left to right as we flew. I don't think it was the weather causing it, so it must have been something to do with the plane. The sky was completely clear, with no clouds as far as could be seen. Eventually I set a steep descent and made a manual landing at KDCA. I parked and shut the plane down before stepping into the cabin.

"Wait here," Lisa said. "We'll be back."

With that they were gone and I was alone.

I waited. I waited a long time. It started to rain, lightly at first and then a lot harder. It had stopped and the sun was out again by the time Lisa got back, and this time she was alone.

"Come on," she said. I was asking all sorts of questions but I didn't get any answers as Lisa led me at a good clip through the airport into a much larger jet. We took off with an entire load of passengers depending on me, a new experience in my book. Our destination was the Canary Islands.

About three quarters of the way there, the plane decided it had enough of following the flight plan and started heading in the wrong direction. I had to switch off the LNAV mode and set a heading based on the map on my instruments.

It was well after dark by the time I bumped in a rough landing, and Lisa wouldn't let me leave the cockpit. The reason became clear after a while as another group of passengers loaded up and we headed for London. I began to understand, whoever was potentially watching for us would be less likely to suspect the pilot flying a passenger aircraft, in case someone got hurt. That was my fear too!

3-8-2021-21-47.jpg

Edited by andyjohnston

In past jobs, I've played a bit more of a role (I'd like to say I was super important, but I know better.) This time, for now at least, I was just the pilot, ferrying "Lisa" wherever she wanted to go.

When we landed at Heathrow, I was exhausted. Lisa let me sleep for a bit in the cockpit. I'm a terrible sleeper, just the same I was out enough that when I woke, I was alone. There was a text on the new phone telling me what time to be ready to go. As I learned, I would have a bit of down time where I would be on my own.

I was able to get my hand on a small plane and do some exploring. I hoped to get an aerial view of Buckingham Palace, but I couldn't find it.

3-9-2021-8-01.jpg

3-9-2021-8-04.jpg

3-9-2021-8-11.jpg

Our next stop was Paris. We took off from Heathrow in the rain and climbed up to 20,000 feet.

They wanted me to fly in an Airbus. I'm pretty terrible with those fly-by-wire aircraft, but why listen to me? I'm just the pilot you're depending on. Sure enough, I couldn't control it, and we kept going down and...let's just say it didn't end well.

Under the cover of darkness, as people milled about the remains of the wrecked plane, Lisa dragged me away. We got as far as the closest field where she worked her magic again and we rented another aircraft, an Icon, which we flew about 20 miles to Paris, then made another hop to Orly. Then we boarded another small jet and flew all the way to Pisa.

It was all done at night, and there really wasn't much to show.

I wish I could always sleep like I did last night.

When we took off again in the morning, I hoped to get a good view of the tower, but it wasn't to be. We took a King Air and flew all the way to Innsbruck, part of the way down that canyon. I still have no idea where we're going.

3-10-2021-8-49.jpg

Edited by andyjohnston

We didn't stay in Innsbruck long, before I knew it I was in another plane readying for takeoff. This time it was a 787...did I mention I was supposed to get it out of Innsbruck? I scraped the tail on that one!

3-10-2021-11-16.jpg

We flew over the mountains are across the Mediterranean to make a nighttime landing in Cairo. I overheard "Lisa" mumbling to herself, and got the impression the next few legs would all be flown in the dark. Great.

We left Cairo using one of the westbound runways and I hand flew the plane out to get a glimpse of the pyramids. But it was dark, and there wasn't a lot to see. So we flew to Tel-Aviv where we landed just long enough to change planes, into a 747.

We took that plane all the way to Kathmandu. It was a long flight and by the time we got there it was day again. Good thing too, because I would not have wanted to be flying through the mountains without being able to see.

It took me a bit, but I was finally able to get lined up for a visual approach on runway 2.

3-10-2021-20-55.jpg

As we taxied in, Lisa came into the cockpit and plopped down into the co-pilot's seat. "Finally," she said, "We're just about done."

I had a feeling what that meant.

It goes without saying, the view of the mountains was spectacular.

3-10-2021-21-07.jpg

3-10-2021-21-11.jpg

We flew to the village of Lukla (you must've known that's where the next stop was going to be.)

Picture the worst landing you ever made, well it was better than the bone jarring thud that happened to me.

I pulled into the parking area and sat back. "Uh-uh," Lisa said. This time you're coming with me."

3-10-2021-21-25.jpg

Lukla is not a big place. I know, you're shocked, aren't you?

Lisa led the way as we weaved and dodged between the buildings.

3-11-2021-10-30.jpg

There were no signs anywhere, but in a place this small I assume they aren't really required. Just the same, I was completely turned around.

Left and right, in and out, up the occasional small set of stairs. If I had to find my way back, forget it.

3-11-2021-10-32.jpg

After a while, we came to a short alley where Lisa stopped me in front of a non-descript, green door. She took a deep breath then rapped twice. We waited several seconds and nothing happened. She rolled her eyes and then banged harder. The door opened with a scrape to reveal a man behind. He was about six feet tall, dressed in a blue shirt with brown overalls.

"I'm here," Lisa said as she tried to push her way in. The man held her back, and raised his right hand, pointing one finger to me. "He's with me," Lisa said, before motioning for me to follow her. Inside, the building was made of stone, with a few pieces of wooden furniture, and table and three chairs, not much else. A fire was burning in the hearth, but it didn't do much to warm the place, and I was shivering.

"I assume you brought what i want?" His accent was thick, and understanding his words wasn't easy.

Lisa pushed me into one corner of the room then went back to him. They spoke in low tones so that I couldn't make out what they were saying. After a minute or two, Lisa pulled a small package from her pocket and handed it to him. His dour face lit up, and he held the package high, inspecting it. Then he went to the fire and again held it close for a few seconds before plucking a brown envelope of the mantle, and flinging it frisbee style at Lisa.

"You have done well," he said. "This is the information you were promised."

Lisa took a quick peek inside the envelope before motioning for me to rejoin her. I moved quickly and we soon found ourselves outside again as she led the way back to the airport. Lisa went past it and entered a dingy little café where she ordered for herself, and grudgingly got me something to eat as well. The building was quite a bit warmer, and the heat, along with the activities of the day, caused my eyes to feel heavy. My head nodded, and I dozed off.

3-11-2021-10-38.jpg

3-11-2021-12-53.jpg

Landing at a place like Lukla is terrifying. Taking off is no picnic either, especially if it happens to be after dark.

When Lisa and I went back to the parking area at the airport, our plane was nowhere to be seen. "No problem," Lisa said, as she led me over to a little blue dual engine nearby. I followed her and we arranged for pushback as I got the engines started. As we taxied over to the runway, I glanced at Lisa.

"Good thing no one minds us sharing their plane."

Lisa scoffed. "Yeah, about that, we don't exactly have permission to use this. Get us out of hear fast."

I gave it full throttle and the lights disappeared almost immediately. I couldn't see the runway and if it wasn't for the display on my instruments, I wouldn't have known when to lift off.

3-11-2021-12-58.jpg

Those same instruments allowed me to fly through the mountains without hitting them. For the first while I controlled it manually, then set the autopilot to take over. I have to admit, I was pretty relieved to see the lights of Kathmandu come into view.

3-11-2021-13-13.jpg

From Kathmandu, we were back into a 747, and we flew to Hong Kong, where we refueled and made the long flight to Hawaii.

We were in Hawaii again just long enough to refuel before we were off again to Los Angeles.

3-11-2021-21-13.jpg

Edited by andyjohnston

Thank you lifejogger, I appreciate the feedback. Is anyone else reading?

Since you asked, I think if you were more likely to interact with people before when they left comments on your posts instead of ignoring, more would be apt to respond with comments. But since you blew them off, they don't seem to be.

Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

Really? I didn't see any others. Am I not getting all the posts to this thread?[/quote|

All your prior one shot posts before this story started that you ignored people on. Not necessarily this thread. This is the first time I’ve seen you acknowledge someone.

Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

Ah, well then I apologize to anyone if that has been the case. I do admit sometimes I post a shot and then forget to look again.

I said before that you didn't need to know where I'm from, but I will say this much: it's a heck of a lot smaller than Los Angeles. Now I've been here countless times, just flying in and out, but I've never really experienced the city. It's huge!

Lisa hailed a cab at LAX and gave the driver a location. I sat back and watched the sites out the window. I watched and watched. The people, the places, the cars. Streets and buildings, shops and restaurants, so many that I didn't know what they were. It was quite a site.

Eventually we came to a stop. Lisa led me into the restaurant on the bottom floor of a hotel.

3-12-2021-15-36.jpg

We ordered some food, then sat and ate in silence. Every few minutes, she'd look around before returning to her meal. And each time she seemed to become a little more aggravated. Finally she saw something over my shoulder. She wiped her mouth and rose to her feet. I started to get up as well but she pushed me back down. I turned and watched as she strode across the floor to an older man standing next to the door.

They embraced briefly before sitting down. A server came to their side and he spoke only a few words to her before she was off again. I remembered how open Lisa had seemed when we first met, only to change her demeanor quickly. Though her back was to me, she was more animated than anything I had seen from her.

I turned back to my breakfast. Scrambled eggs, white toast and bacon, with orange juice, in case you were wondering. The restaurant was almost empty, with only a few occupied tables scattered around. I was tempted to turn around to watch Lisa and her companion, but I didn't want to seem too obvious.

After a while she returned to the table with a smile on her face. She sat and took a mouthful of her food, then shook her head. "Oh, it's cold."

"You could ask them..."

"Never mind," Lisa cut me off. "We have too much to do today. Let's get moving." She stood and dropped a few bills on the table, I did the same and followed behind as she led me back to the street. We were in another cab soon, I never had as much luck hailing one as she did.

She gave the driver a destination and he turned to look at us with a surprised look on his face. "Are you sure?" he asked. "That's no short trip, it'll cost you."

"Go," Lisa said.

He turned around and we were off to the streets of southern California.

After we'd been driving a while, I began to understand why the driver had been surprised. We had gotten on the freeway and had gone so far, the meter was ticking away. We pass little residential areas, factories belching smoke, and everything in between.

3-12-2021-20-20.jpg

Eventually we pulled up to a little building and Lisa told me to get out. She wouldn't let me go in though, and I was left sitting outside watching as she disappeared into the darkness.

Evening came, and eventually turned to night. The sky was clear and I could see a few stars above me despite the city lights. But it was cold and at first I did everything I could to keep warm. I was so tired, after a bit i just had to sit down even though I knew I should keep moving. I just couldn't do it. As luck would have it, it was only shortly after that the door opened and Lisa came out. She wasn't alone though, two men came out with her, one who was short and a little pudgy, wearing a dark grey suit, the other was tall with a leather jacket.

Both came to a stop when Lisa motioned for me to join them.

"Who's this?" asked the short one.

I was trying to remember how many times Lisa had had to explain things for me. "He's with me, he's okay."

Just the same, the taller man patted me down. "Is he okay Jimmy?" the short man asked.

"Yeah Boss."

The Boss looked at me for several seconds, then turned and strode around the side of the building. Jimmy took me by the shoulder and shoved me after. A black town car waited and the Boss got in the back with Lisa, while I got in the passenger seat with Jimmy behind the wheel. He put it in gear and we started moving, an soon we were again on the freeway, screaming along a lot faster the other cars as we whizzed past them.

After travelling for a good while, Jimmy took one exit, then zigzagged his way between so many streets that once again, I was lost. I once thought I had a pretty good sense of direction, not so much anymore. We stopped in front of a small house. I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to go in this time, but I got out of the car and no one tried to stop me. We stepped to the porch, and Jimmy pulled the door open, it was unlocked. I let the other three go in first, and the door slammed shut behind me.