FPS What do you typically get

Hi Everyone Fps is a highly complex subject ,as all machines /settings are different we all know that , but I have been trying to get the best I can and feel I am not getting the most from my system ,now I never bothered about FPS in the past but there is something about MSFS that compels me to try and get more lol

I have tried various setting over the past few months and come to the conclusion its a rob peter to pay paul scenario.

I was just wondering if anyone can throw some light on the subject like what should I be expecting from a very high end system with 3080 card in it, 64gig ram, ssd drives etc.

The main reason I am asking this is that things seem to have settled down a bit in the Sim but there is no ulterior motive for me asking just my own personal benefit to realise I am getting what I should ,and maybe it will benefit other users with there settings, Any comments advice much appreciated.

Stay safe

Kind regards

Andrew

I 'normally' get around 30fps =/- 5? I suppose? In truth I rarely check other than when fiddling with game/control settings.

IMHO anything over 24fps is more than the standard for the movies I watch and surely acceptable for this particular sim?

Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I wouldn't get too hung up on FPS, I see it as a by-product rather than an objective. The objective is to get the maximum eye-candy without stutters, in other words the optimum graphics settings for your system, regardless of the FPS. In general, you'll see higher FPS with the most powerful GPU's at your system's optimum graphic settings.

I have a just-above-minimum spec GTX1050Ti with 4Gb VRam, I run MSFS on Medium settings and normally get 16-20fps without V-Sync. It runs pretty smoothly at that, and I usually do flights between 1-3 hours.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I wouldn't get too hung up on FPS, I see it as a by-product rather than an objective. The objective is to get the maximum eye-candy without stutters, in other words the optimum graphics settings for your system, regardless of the FPS. In general, you'll see higher FPS with the most powerful GPU's at your system's optimum graphic settings.

I have a just-above-minimum spec GTX1050Ti with 4Gb VRam, I run MSFS on Medium settings and normally get 16-20fps without V-Sync. It runs pretty smoothly at that, and I usually do flights between 1-3 hours.

Slightly off topic for Tiger, as I have a very low end pc, can you throw some light as to why 'without V-Sync'?

Slightly off topic for Tiger, as I have a very low end pc, can you throw some light as to why 'without V-Sync'?

Not sure if this will help, but I found this while struggling with my card settings. Was very helpful.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/29393/microsoft-flight-simulator-most-important-graphics-options-every-video-setting-benchmarked#:~:text=What%20does%20the%20Texture%20Supersampling,at%20the%20cost%20of%20performance.

Edited by davidc2
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I find that setting V-Sync ON reduces my FPS by 5 or 6 on average, and introduces stuttering.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Everyone Fps is a highly complex subject ,as all machines /settings are different we all know that , but I have been trying to get the best I can and feel I am not getting the most from my system ,now I never bothered about FPS in the past but there is something about MSFS that compels me to try and get more lol

I have tried various setting over the past few months and come to the conclusion its a rob peter to pay paul scenario.

I was just wondering if anyone can throw some light on the subject like what should I be expecting from a very high end system with 3080 card in it, 64gig ram, ssd drives etc.

The main reason I am asking this is that things seem to have settled down a bit in the Sim but there is no ulterior motive for me asking just my own personal benefit to realise I am getting what I should ,and maybe it will benefit other users with there settings, Any comments advice much appreciated.

Stay safe

Kind regards

Andrew

It all really depends on your monitor's resolution and refresh rate (if any, but those are becoming common now).

For the sake of a starting point, I have a 35" ultrawide monitor with a resolution of 3440x1440 and a refresh rate of 100mhz (144 is a common starting point for a lot of newer monitors, but 100 is still nothing to sneeze at).

You can see my specs below in my signature. Today, I flew in Russia to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone in a C-172 and I was clocking at a very acceptable 60fps with mostly high settings and a couple of medium settings here and there. Mind you, there wasn't a lot in the way of buildings or high-res textures. If you fly around say, London, at just a few hundred feet AGL, you'll notice an enormous performance hit.

In short, your PC's performance in MSFS2020 will vary and depend greatly on where you fly and the conditions, but those will be relatively consistent over time, so it's your monitor that will dictate the PC's performance.

You asked what to expect from a high end system using a 3080 card with 64gb of RAM (which, honestly, is overkill where 32gb will be just fine). You can very reasonably expect 60fps or possibly more with a monitor using 1080p resolution. At 1440p resolution, 60fps is still very attainable but maybe with a couple of settings knocked a notch down. 4K resolution is where it will be most demanding and would probably require you to knock down a few settings for smooth gameplay, but at 4K resolution, it's worth it.

Then there's VR, but that's a whole other thing (but the 3080 is more than capable for that).

Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Guru3D recently updated their review of MSFS and the impact of different CPUs, GPUs and RAM on the sim.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ms-flight-simulator-(2020)-the-2021-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,1.html

As with previous sims, and any game too, it is about balancing the settings for your particular tastes and uses. Flying airliners at high altitudes vs low and slow in a bush plane would benefit from different settings, for example.

I've been getting FPS in the 40-45 range with my i7 7700, GTX 1070 and 32GB RAM running a 1440p monitor with mostly medium settings. Haven't really spent too much time trying to get every last frame as this works well enough for now. Maybe one day the price and availability of GPUs will improve.

I do have v-sync set to on and limit my fps to 30. Why bake your GPU to just get a few more fps? On a 1920x1200 (odd size) monitor (about 115% of demand of 1080p), I get ~60 fps out in western Nebraska if I allow it. I have never flown over NYC or LA, so I don't know how it would perform, but St Louis pulls it down a lot, maybe 34-38 fps, probably less if down at low altitudes. With v-sync on, I get a pretty smooth experience at 30 fps and the fps are very consistent in the areas I fly. Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

On medium settings I get a max of 35. In some dense scenery like NYC I get 15 - 25. In any case, anything above a 25 is acceptable for me based on my machine and setting. My medium setting has way better scenery than I had on P3D using Orbx. So I am happy.

What I have noticed is that MSFS runs much better now with updates then it did when I first got it back in August. Back in August I could never approach NYC, now I can... so there is a lot of improvements.

It is a work in progress.

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014