ATC Stops Transmitting

ac103010

Hi all,

Why would my ATC stop transmitting part way through a flight? 2 totally different aircraft, different places, but both sometime into the flights. In the 2nd case, for example, climbing through 200 I get an instruction to climb to 28,000. I have no option to allow me to acknowledge the instuction, only "Nearest Airport List" and no further transmissions. It's only just started doing this. In the first case I was just approaching my given Flight Level of 310.

Allan

It sounds like you may not have acknowledged a transmission. ATC will then drop you from your IFR flight. I think if you bring up the ATC window there should be an option to create your IFR flight again (Don't click on start at the airport again) and continue on with your IFR flight with some new instructions from ATC.

It does happen from time to time that ATC just plain forgets about you. You then have to re-establish your intentions with them. :D

The option you are looking for is "Create or open and IFR flight plan".

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

if you don't follow instruction fast enough they will eventually give up on you.

Maybe your altimeter was not set correct. You will then not be at the given altitude-->and get dropped from atc after a while.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry guys, that's not the answer in this case. In the second flight I was actually in communication with them and had just acknowledged an instruction. In both cases the transmissions stopped without any options other than nearest airport list.

At first I thought it might have been because of a change of scenery, but that wasn't the case. The only common factor was the fact it was the same flight plan (but a different aircraft), so I'll try it tomorrow with a fresh plan.

Allan

Sorry guys, that's not the answer in this case. In the second flight I was actually in communication with them and had just acknowledged an instruction. In both cases the transmissions stopped without any options other than nearest airport list.

At first I thought it might have been because of a change of scenery, but that wasn't the case. The only common factor was the fact it was the same flight plan (but a different aircraft), so I'll try it tomorrow with a fresh plan.

Allan

Allan, If it happens again, could you take a screenshot of the ATC window so as to see the available options?

Perpignan! Great place and great food. Been there several times when visiting Southern France. So, your callsign is 25 and your acknowledged the handoff to Perpignan Approach. So you were not given the chance for your radio to auto-tune to the new freq?

You say Sim was running but ATC window froze? Could you manually tune the radio to the new freq 120.75?

Are you running FSX from Discs or do you have FSX-SE (Steam Edition). Sounds like ATC has a hitch in it's getalong!

Edited by mrzippy

MrZippy, didn't try retuning. Never had to do it in 12 years. But will trty next time.

When I say froze I meant stopped transmitting. As I said, I'll try to retune.

Call sign is 25 because FSX doesn't recognise Aviaco. But I hope I've rectified that.

Will update you.

Allan

Oh, and FSX is installed off discs.

Allan

OK, I asked because doing a "Repair" from discs can be a royal pain the rear! Lots of problems can happen if not done correctly. A Repair is the last thing I would recommend.

In your ATC box when you see "No messages to transmit to anyone" after a handoff, that's not a good thing.

Try reading through this thread: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/40401-no-messages-to-transmit-to-anyone/

Also try Doing a Google search for fsx no messages to transmit to anyone

Edited by mrzippy

Thanks Mr Zippy. Tried both but neither helps.

I tuned the comm radios manually but had no effect.

One solution suggested was to re plan the flight, but because I'd already done that by planning for another departure airport I guess that won't do, either. Going to have to check the effect of assed scenery, I guess.

Tried removing my Catalunya scenery, which covers the region I was flying in. I also reversed the flight and created a new flight plan from Cardiff.

Same problem. In the last 2 attempts I've had the same problem but added to it I got Nearest Airport list.

Allan

Does it happen in other parts of the world? USA, Australia, Asia, etc? Not starting from any kind of "saved" flight? Not starting your "Default" flight first, then making changes?

OK. So using the same aircraft, not a default or saved flight, I created a new flightplan from Singapore to London. On handoff from Approach I got the same problem. Just No Messages To Transmit.

I removed some areas of mesh scenery and reset the flight. Everything seems to work, now, I got 2 handoffs and 3 level change instructions.

Later, will go back to my previous flights to try them again. Then I suppose some detective work (grrrrr) to find the culprit.

I'll update you all later.

Allan

Seems I was wrong. I returned to a previous flight and had the same problem. Each time I've had the problem it seems to be on handoff from Approach contoller to en route.

Oh well, it's back to the drawing board.

Allan

MICROSOFT ARE AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE!!!!

I'm having an issue at the moment with my DVD player so not able to play around with Acceleration, so I decided to try Microsoft. Sheeesh. What a disaster.

The usual long wait and then the recorded options didn't include help for flight sims, so I chose Windows option, thinking at least they'd put me through to the right department. Asked me what the problem is. I knew this was a waste of time but went through the motions, STRESSING it is FSX. They put me through where I was asked what the problem is, only to be told, "this is the XBox helpline, but I'll transfer you".

So, where did they transfer me to? The Windows help section! I was, of course, asked what the problem is. Grrrrrr. I told them, getting briefer and briefer eveytime. So they transferred me. Where to? You've guessed it, XBox !!!!!!. Again, transferred......to Windows.

Struggling to keep my cool. But this time, the guy I was talking to said he knows a bit about FSX and would talk to someone who could help, if I'd hold for a short wile.

ONE HOUR LATER I was still holding. Whereupon I hung up.

So, after nearly 1 1/2 hrs I'm still none the wiser.

Allan

FINALLY, got to message their Zendesk, their tech line for slight sims, contacted via email, only to be told they don't support earlier versions of Flight Sims, only the most recent. They say the "Flight Sim Community" will be able to help. ?????

I can feel a reinstallation coming on. GRRRR.

Allan

In case you want to go the "Repair" route rather than full re-install, then please read this because it's pretty important!

It was from a well respected Flightsim.com member/moderator. fxsttcb.

stock repair answer:

The biggie with a Repair is any default file, including those default aircraft.cfgs with added liveries, that have been modified, tweaked, or otherwise changed, will be returned to default status.

You can make a copy of your existing FSX folder before the repair and paste those individual files back in afterwards.

IMPORTANT:

Acceleration Repair only fixes what the Acceleration expansion pack modifies/adds. It will not repair core FSX files.

If you have SP1, SP2, or Acceleration installed, they will have to be uninstalled before a repair attempt, and reinstalled, after the repair, or it won't work.

Once you have your FSX up and running properly again, back it up, all of it.

You may need it again and it's a lot easier than a Repair or Re-Install.

Thought I'd try rebuilding my FSX.cfg file. Doesn't cure it. But I was looking back through old posts and I'd forgotten that I raised the same issue in 2014. At that time there were no suggestions that solved the problem and then I ended up re-installing FSX. Looks like I'll have to do the same again. GRRRRRR.

Allan

Different aircraft, different flight plan, different departure airport. Had just accepted a handoff to Perpignon.

And it froze here. Sim kept running, just ATC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225702[/ATTACH]

Allan

I think a reinstall is not needed at all.

I think the following is happening to you. (It happens to me, and I think to everyone elses, sometimes too.)

You are in contact with tower A, at freq #1

You are told, by tower A, to contact "Approach B", at freq #2

You switch to freq #2 but have not contacted "Approach B" yet

Unexpectedly tower A now tells you (still on freq #1 of couse) to contact

"Approach C" on freq #3 (or "Approach B" on freq #3)

Because you already switched freq to #2 you do not hear that message as it is sent on freq #1...

(and on freq #2 you don't get any contact either.)

----------------------------

Sometimes you haven't swithced freq yet and easily notice this happens, :

You are in contact with tower A, at freq #1

You are told, by tower A, to contact "Approach B", at freq #2

You are busy, so you don't switch freqency yet.

Unexpectedly tower A now tells you (still on freq #1 of couse) to contact

"Approach C" on freq #3 (or "Approach B" on freq #3)

Because you were busy you are still on freq 1, hear the message, and switch to freq #3 correctly.

-------------------------------------

In your case in the first posts I think if you had switched back to the original frequency you would have heard "tower A" saying "contact "Approach B at freq #3"

I your case "contact Perpignan Approach on ###.##"

(So still Perpignan most likely, but with a frequency ###.## that is a different frequency then the one you recieved earlier)

-=-----==========

Two times I said: "will tell you to contact "Approach C" on freq #3 (or "Approach B" on freq #3)

To explain:

You were in contact with tower A on freq #1

after "contact Perpignan Approach on "120.75" (freq #2 )

You acknowledged the freq, and that changes your radio freq to 120.75 (freq #2 ). --But you did not contact perpignan.--

Tower A could then say (on freq #1):

"contact Toulouse Approach on ###.##" (freq #3 )

but it could also be:

"contact Perpignan Approach on ###.##" (freq #3 )

That's why I said is can be either: "contact "Approach C" on freq #3 (or "Approach B" on freq #3)"

--------------

Nothing wrong with FSX I'd say. Simple ATC miscommunication.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry il88, that doesn't happen. I'm very careful to carry out the procedure. And it always seems to happen from Approach frequency no matter what airport I'm at.

I tried it again this afternoon. Whilst on approach I got two instruction to climb, one to 160 and then to 240. So, at this point communication was ok. But then it stopped. Nothing further. No futher climb instructions and no instructions to change ferquency.

It gave me an airport list only.

I think a re-instal is my only option, but thanks for the onfo anyway.

Allan