Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Survey] MSFS and tourism

Default [Survey] MSFS and tourism

Hi everyone!

Do you use the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator? Then please keep on reading! Contribute to scientific research by filling out a short 10 min. survey and sharing your experiences in this forum.

MSFS 2020 can easily be considered a new form of virtual tourism: travel without ‘real’ travel. But could this substitute a vacation-feeling to some degree? And why/how? My master’s thesis on Virtual Tourism and Travel will try to answer these questions.

From a personal perspective, this topic really fascinates me: I am both an avid traveller (at least, in ‘normal’ times!) and a MSFS-user myself. My girlfriend and I are both loving this sim since we started using it to fly around both familiar and unfamiliar places around the world… which got me to the point at which I am now with my thesis.

Your thoughts, opinions and experiences can contribute so much to my research and make a difference in a cutting-edge research topic.

Please fill out the survey by clicking on this link. It should only take about 10 minutes of your time, thank you so much in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Title.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	225628

All done? Time to discuss the topic! Share your experience, opinion, and/or comments about how Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) simulates (or stimulates?) your travel appetite. And of course, discussion about the topic and with each other is not only allowed, but also actively stimulated!

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Jochem Lips
    MSc Tourism, Society, and Environment
    Wageningen University & Research, The Netherlands

---

PS: Wondering what to write about? You can use (but you do not have to restrict yourself to) these questions to get started:

1. Do you ever have moments when your MSFS experiences make you feel as if you are ‘there’, where you are flying? What were you doing? What do you think contributed to this feeling?
    2. Have you visited any place in MSFS that you would consider really traveling to?
    3. … or are there any places you visited in MSFS that you feel less inclined to travel to now?
    4. Why do you use MSFS? Is this the first time you are using a flight sim?
    5. Who are you? Do you think that MSFS users are a very specific group of people, or do you think anyone could enjoy this sim?

---

Note: by participating in this discussion, you consent to your answers being used for the purposes of this research. This means that what you write might be published or used in e.g., presentations or other material that might be publicly accessible. Anonymity of your answers cannot be guaranteed, although you can request to have your (user)name omitted in the research report and other data resulting from this study. Please explicitly mention this in you answer(s).

---

Note to moderators: I have tried to contact this forum's admins to ask if there are any objections against posting this topic. Unfortunately I have not heard back from anyone. If this post breaches forum rules in any way, please let me know and I will modify the topic wherever necessary. Do please note that there are absolutely no commercial interests vested in this research!

In this the 'Age of Internet Malware' I try to never click a link from an unknown source. NOT meant as an offense to the OP, simply stating MY bias.

If others have clicked it and had no issues, please let us know.
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
    HP Pavilion Desktop [email protected], 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 200 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant, TFRP rudder pedals, Grass Monkey Odyssey IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Yes it's genuine and doesn't ask for your name or address.

1. Do you ever have moments when your MSFS experiences make you feel as if you are ‘there’, where you are flying? What were you doing? What do you think contributed to this feeling?

Yes I had a "real as it gets" moment on approach into Frankfurt at sunset, following two other aircraft on finals. The buildings and street lights were switching on, even the car headlights were switching on.

2. Have you visited any place in MSFS that you would consider really traveling to?

Yes, many places all over Europe.

3. … or are there any places you visited in MSFS that you feel less inclined to travel to now?

Yes, Asia and the Far East.

It's become a habit. I've been simming for 18 years, but first used Microsoft Flight Simulator in 1991.

5. Who are you? Do you think that MSFS users are a very specific group of people, or do you think anyone could enjoy this sim?

I'm a working class, middle-aged British white guy. Anyone could enjoy this sim, but only a specific group of people would spend enough time on it to buy all the peripherals and add-on scenery etc.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 03-04-2021 at 08:47 AM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

I filled out the survey and it is legitimate. The author also has a LinkedIn profile that corroborates who he is.

As for the topic, I am the son of a United Nations diplomat and have lived in 5 countries on 3 continents, so traveling the world is in my blood. I am always hungry for it, and I am very blessed to have seen many different parts of the world. How does MFS impact my views? Quite a bit, because I am already a travel nut and flying to places I am curious about makes me even *more* nutty about seeing them in real life.

Example: I have traveled in real life to Fiji, so I decided to fly around out there in MFS. In doing so I decided to venture out and fly to the Kingdom of Tonga. Now, as my wife can attest, I am insisting that our next opportunity to travel whenever it may come up, we actually visit Tonga.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagorandy View Post
    In this the 'Age of Internet Malware' I try to never click a link from an unknown source. NOT meant as an offense to the OP, simply stating MY bias.

Absolutely no offense taken! I'd say you're wise to be suspicious/careful. I just really hope you will still fill out the survey at some point now that some others have taken the "leap of faith" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by iger1962

Yes I had a "real as it gets" moment on approach into Frankfurt at sunset, following two other aircraft on finals. The buildings and street lights were switching on, even the car headlights were switching on.

It's become a habit. I've been simming for 18 years, but first used Microsoft Flight Simulator in 1991.

I'm a working class, middle-aged British white guy. Anyone could enjoy this sim, but only a specific group of people would spend enough time on it to buy all the peripherals and add-on scenery etc.
    First off, thanks so much for filling out the survey! Double thanks for elaborating. I have a lot of questions to follow up but I'll try not to overwhelm you. Perhaps the most important question on my mind is: do you think MSFS has anything to do with you considering to travel to certain places in Europe, or not considering Asia/the Far East? If so, for what reasons do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by neilends
    I filled out the survey and it is legitimate. The author also has a LinkedIn profile that corroborates who he is.

As for the topic, I am the son of a United Nations diplomat and have lived in 5 countries on 3 continents, so traveling the world is in my blood. I am always hungry for it, and I am very blessed to have seen many different parts of the world. How does MFS impact my views? Quite a bit, because I am already a travel nut and flying to places I am curious about makes me even *more* nutty about seeing them in real life.

Example: I have traveled in real life to Fiji, so I decided to fly around out there in MFS. In doing so I decided to venture out and fly to the Kingdom of Tonga. Now, as my wife can attest, I am insisting that our next opportunity to travel whenever it may come up, we actually visit Tonga.
    Also thanks to you for filling it out and taking the time to write a reply Neilends! I love your reply; it's exactly what my thesis is about. Did you have any specific reason to try flying to Tonga in MFS? And, as a self-proclaimed travel nut, do you think MFS also (very slightly) satisfy that travel itch for you in some way? Or is it only the opposite? What are the reasons for this, do you t

Quote Originally Posted by chicagorandy View Post

Absolutely no offense taken! I'd say you're wise to be suspicious/careful. I just really hope you will still fill out the survey at some point now that some others have taken the "leap of faith" ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by iger1962

First off, thanks so much for filling out the survey! Double thanks for elaborating. I have a lot of questions to follow up but I'll try not to overwhelm you. Perhaps the most important question on my mind is: do you think MSFS has anything to do with you considering to travel to certain places in Europe, or not considering Asia/the Far East? If so, for what reasons do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by neilends

Also thanks to you for filling it out and taking the time to write a reply Neilends! I love your reply; it's exactly what my thesis is about. Did you have any specific reason to try flying to Tonga in MFS? And, as a self-proclaimed travel nut, do you think MFS also (very slightly) satisfy that travel itch for you in some way? Or is it only the opposite? What are the reasons for this, do you t

Survey competed, best of luck with the thesis work.
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
    HP Pavilion Desktop [email protected], 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 200 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant, TFRP rudder pedals, Grass Monkey Odyssey IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Quote Originally Posted by Yoochem View Post
    My specific reason for flying to Tonga in MSFS was that it was reasonably close by, and accessible by the plane that I prefer to use, the Cessna 172. When I was in Fiji in real life, I learned that Tonga was a "neighboring" island nation to Fiji (although they are quite far), because the island I was visiting happened to be flooded that week with volcanic material. Where did the volcanic material come from? Locals told me it was from a small eruption in Tonga. That was pretty fascinating to learn.

Fast forward about a decade and I had not really thought about Tonga again. Until I saw on the maps and nav charts of MFS that, through a few longer flights, I could actually reach Tonga by on a C172. Once I did so, I flew all over the Tongan islands. As I did so, it may interest you to know, I googled a lot and learned about the specific islands I was visiting, their airports, and general information about the country. I'm sure many MSF users do this. Anyway, end result: Tonga is now stuck in my brain.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoochem View Post
    Perhaps the most important question on my mind is: do you think MSFS has anything to do with you considering to travel to certain places in Europe, or not considering Asia/the Far East? If so, for what reasons do you think?
    MSFS has certainly helped to confirm the impressions I've been given by holiday brochures and TV programs. I'm not considering Asia/the Far East due to Covid19, because it would mean a long haul flight. I can get to Europe overnight by car ferry to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge!
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Hi Jochem.

In 1998 a lot of people (including myself) didnt see the immediate use of cell phone.
    Now, 20 years later I check my e-mail whatsapp, facebook, bank etc. several times a day.

I think VR can play an important part in our future lives.
    Lets say you want to visit the Rijksmuseum, Le Louvre or the Gugenheim.
    Thru VR you can have a reasonable realistic preview and then decide which one to visit in person, instead of flying a couple of thousand miles and be disapointed.

On the other hand, visiting other places is not only what you see but also what you feel, smell, taste, interaction with others.
    You can meet somebody thru internet but you cant hug somebody.
    17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast