Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSX and Windows 10

Default FSX and Windows 10

Hi, after a few months trying to get some fun from MSFS, I'm now considering reinstall FSX, but this would be the 1st time I'd do that under Windows 10, and I keep reading this produces all sort of problems, much worse in fact than FS9, doesn't it?

Some say the only solution is installing the Steam version, but I own the boxed version (Professional Edition and Acceleration Expansion Pack), and would hate to spend more and more $$ for this.

Also, I'd want to know if FSX and MSFS can coexist on the same HD without problems.

Sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I can't find a definitive word.
    Thanks in advance, best regards.

I would recommend the steam version of FSX. This seems to run perfectly on Windows 10.
    I had lots of problems with the boxed version. As a bonus there is no daft activation once running under steam,
    you can have it on as many machines as you wish provided you do not try to run it on two machines at the same time.
    MSFS and FSX can co-exist on the same machine without problem.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by durhambuilder View Post
    I would recommend the steam version of FSX. This seems to run perfectly on Windows 10.
    I had lots of problems with the boxed version. As a bonus there is no daft activation once running under steam,
    you can have it on as many machines as you wish provided you do not try to run it on two machines at the same time.
    MSFS and FSX can co-exist on the same machine without problem.
    Geoff
    Thanks Geoff for your reply. It seems I'll have to pay again for a product I've already got, then.
    Please, let me insist on a few questions, though:
    1) Does the Steam version include all the features of Professional Edition + Acceleration Pack?
    2) What does "daft" mean?
    3) FS9 is apparently much easier to install on Windows 10 than FSX, isn't it?

Smile Daft

preposterous
    ridiculous
    ludicrous
    among others..
    AMD Ryzen-7, 4800H, 4th Gen Radeon Graphics - 16GB DDR4 - 512GB SSD Boot, 1TB HD - NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6GB - Asus TUF FA506IV Upgradable Dedicated Gaming Laptop - Windows 10 - 55" Samsung 1920 x 1080 - Controls PXN 2119II, Settings on High and a few on Ultra - Using MSFS 2020 Ver. 1.15.7.0 Works Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Gpurg View Post
    Daft
    -------------
    preposterous
    ridiculous
    ludicrous
    among others..
    Oops!! Sorry for such a "daft question".
    English not being my mother language, for some reason I had assumed it was an acronym or something...

Blog Entries

just install the disks. will work fine.

FSX installs WAY easier under Win 10 than FS2004 EVER will.

There is absolutely no problem running FSX (boxed or Steam) under Windows 10.

Only one thing you need to be very aware of: UAC seems to be much more aggressive in Win 10 - meaning, install to something like C:\FSX or to a different drive if you have one, but never to the default location under C:\Program Files(x86).

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by danbiosca View Post
    Thanks Geoff for your reply. It seems I'll have to pay again for a product I've already got, then.
    Please, let me insist on a few questions, though:
    1) Does the Steam version include all the features of Professional Edition + Acceleration Pack?
    2) What does "daft" mean?
    3) FS9 is apparently much easier to install on Windows 10 than FSX, isn't it?
    1) As far as I am aware yes it does. It seems to have DirectX 10 Preview and all the other bells and whistles.
    2) The activation process for the boxed version is a joke. I gave up ringing Microsoft when it failed to activate the last time. You have no such problems with the steam version, it is activated via your steam account and you can have it installed on as many computers as you wish. New computer, no problem. Just install steam and it is there for you ready and waiting.
    3) I have never yet had the boxed version installed on Windows 10 without hassle and having to trawl the internet for solutions to problems. I have had it running but it was never as smooth running as the steam version, I think it is a recompilation of the original source code to remove some bugs and memory limitations.

FS9 is fantastic, it runs on Windows 10 like a dream. I even have it running from a portable drive and in a VMWare virtual box on linux.
    It is as smooth as silk and very very stable. I have to admit that I only use fsx because of the ORBX scenery, otherwise I would stick to FS9.
    And believe me, whichever you go for, they are both better than FS2020 which is merely buggy planes flying in a buggy version of Google Maps. Stay away from it for a few years until they get it right ;-)
    Geoff

As usual whenever the "FSX with Win10" question is asked, some have had mega-problems and some find it runs perfectly.

I've no idea why, but thank goodness I'm in the latter category!

I can only suggest you try your current disks and only pay for Steam if they don't work.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast