FSX and Windows 10

Hi, after a few months trying to get some fun from MSFS, I'm now considering reinstall FSX, but this would be the 1st time I'd do that under Windows 10, and I keep reading this produces all sort of problems, much worse in fact than FS9, doesn't it?

Some say the only solution is installing the Steam version, but I own the boxed version (Professional Edition and Acceleration Expansion Pack), and would hate to spend more and more $$ for this.

Also, I'd want to know if FSX and MSFS can coexist on the same HD without problems.

Sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I can't find a definitive word.

Thanks in advance, best regards.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I would recommend the steam version of FSX. This seems to run perfectly on Windows 10.

I had lots of problems with the boxed version. As a bonus there is no daft activation once running under steam,

you can have it on as many machines as you wish provided you do not try to run it on two machines at the same time.

MSFS and FSX can co-exist on the same machine without problem.

Geoff

I would recommend the steam version of FSX. This seems to run perfectly on Windows 10.

I had lots of problems with the boxed version. As a bonus there is no daft activation once running under steam,

you can have it on as many machines as you wish provided you do not try to run it on two machines at the same time.

MSFS and FSX can co-exist on the same machine without problem.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff for your reply. It seems I'll have to pay again for a product I've already got, then.

Please, let me insist on a few questions, though:

1) Does the Steam version include all the features of Professional Edition + Acceleration Pack?

2) What does "daft" mean?

3) FS9 is apparently much easier to install on Windows 10 than FSX, isn't it?

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

preposterous

ridiculous

ludicrous

among others..

AMD Ryzen-7, 4800H, 4th Gen Radeon Graphics 2.90 - 32GB DDR4 - 512GB SSD Boot, 1TB HD, 1TB SSD - NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060 6GB - ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Dedicated Gaming Laptop - Windows 10 Home - 55" Samsung 1920 x 1080 - MSFS Settings on High and Many on Ultra, with no jitter or lag. HOTAS Control - Std Logitech X52.

:) Daft

-------------

preposterous

ridiculous

ludicrous

among others..

Oops!! Sorry for such a "daft question".

English not being my mother language, for some reason I had assumed it was an acronym or something... :confused:

There is absolutely no problem running FSX (boxed or Steam) under Windows 10.

Only one thing you need to be very aware of: UAC seems to be much more aggressive in Win 10 - meaning, install to something like C:\FSX or to a different drive if you have one, but never to the default location under C:\Program Files(x86).

Jorgen

Thanks Geoff for your reply. It seems I'll have to pay again for a product I've already got, then.

Please, let me insist on a few questions, though:

1) Does the Steam version include all the features of Professional Edition + Acceleration Pack?

2) What does "daft" mean?

3) FS9 is apparently much easier to install on Windows 10 than FSX, isn't it?

1) As far as I am aware yes it does. It seems to have DirectX 10 Preview and all the other bells and whistles.

2) The activation process for the boxed version is a joke. I gave up ringing Microsoft when it failed to activate the last time. You have no such problems with the steam version, it is activated via your steam account and you can have it installed on as many computers as you wish. New computer, no problem. Just install steam and it is there for you ready and waiting.

3) I have never yet had the boxed version installed on Windows 10 without hassle and having to trawl the internet for solutions to problems. I have had it running but it was never as smooth running as the steam version, I think it is a recompilation of the original source code to remove some bugs and memory limitations.

FS9 is fantastic, it runs on Windows 10 like a dream. I even have it running from a portable drive and in a VMWare virtual box on linux.

It is as smooth as silk and very very stable. I have to admit that I only use fsx because of the ORBX scenery, otherwise I would stick to FS9.

And believe me, whichever you go for, they are both better than FS2020 which is merely buggy planes flying in a buggy version of Google Maps. Stay away from it for a few years until they get it right ;-)

Geoff

As usual whenever the "FSX with Win10" question is asked, some have had mega-problems and some find it runs perfectly.

I've no idea why, but thank goodness I'm in the latter category!

I can only suggest you try your current disks and only pay for Steam if they don't work.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who replied.

You were all really helpful. Now I've got a basis to decide upon!!

Ive never had a single issue with FSX (boxed deluxe) and win10 however i would recommend indtalling to an SSD if you can.

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

If you consider getting the Steam version, wait for a sale. You can save yourself 75% and perhaps get a few add-ons on sale at the same time. See this page for information https://steamdb.info/app/314160/

Not sure when the next official sale is, but they come around three or four times a year and sometimes randomly for a few days.

If you can't wait, there is no problem with running the disk version in Windows 10, I've installed it a few times. Make sure you install in a custom location as others said, like C:/FSX. And while this is probably not necessary, I always right click on DVD install files (executable) and run as administrator. Some say you should disable anti-virus just for the install process, but I never found it necessary with default Windows Defender, or whatever it is called now.

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Have a question for those running FSX on Windows 10

Do we have to follow like Kostas "tweaks & tuning" guide + the modifications in the FSX profile in NV Inspector + Steve dxFixer ?

Dan

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

I posed this whole question because after a few months trying to get some fun from MSFS 2020, I'm sometimes under the impression that it's just a flying version of Google Maps.

I miss all the fun I enjoyed from the Golden Age of Aviation in FS9, specially with Bill and Lynn Lyons' Custom Classics, the Emma Field Flying Club and such, if you know what I'm talking about :pilot:

Things have improved a bit in MSFS with the release of the Carenado Waco YMF5 and the freeware Grumman G21 Goose, but still far from those golden times.

In fact I thought I'd reinstall FSX (and not FS9) because I think I might be already spoiled by the stunning MSFS visuals, and I'm afraid I could find FS9 graphics disappointing today.

What do you think?

Edited by danbiosca

If you consider getting the Steam version, wait for a sale. You can save yourself 75% and perhaps get a few add-ons on sale at the same time. See this page for information https://steamdb.info/app/314160/

Not sure when the next official sale is, but they come around three or four times a year and sometimes randomly for a few days.

/QUOTE]

A quick tip here....

Most items go on sale more often than you think. There are many 'non advertised' sales that regularly occur. To be 'notified' of such sales simply add the item into your wish list. You will then be notified EVERY time it is on sale...

Regards

Brian

About fsx, just install what you have.

Only then will you know.

Installing only takes a bit over an hour.

You could have been playing it for two days now...

(in case you don't like it, uninstall process is even faster then installing.)

DanielT,

maybe a question for a different thread. I expect the answer will be: you don't have to, you can if you want. Fsx hasn't changed.

Easy to try, easy to undo if you don't like it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...
Just installed FSX on Win10. No problem with the Deluxe version but when I install the Acceleration package it gives me a "Can't complete product activation" error and plays the demo version (time constrained). Anyone run into this? It never did ask me for the product key for the Acceleration Expansion (it did for the regular Deluxe installation).

Blimey! How many times I have seen posts where the Acceleration pack has buggered up an FSX install??

Glad I left it well alone!!

Plenty of posts here just do a search

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

There is absolutely no problem running FSX (boxed or Steam) under Windows 10.

Only one thing you need to be very aware of: UAC seems to be much more aggressive in Win 10 - meaning, install to something like C:\FSX or to a different drive if you have one, but never to the default location under C:\Program Files(x86).

Jorgen

OK, so UAC is the biggie. Are there reasons other than UAC for avoiding Program Files(x86) as the Install DIR ?

I had planned to get this cleaned up first before uploading a thread, BUT the time to try to be helpful seems now. I have just reinstalled FSX from the boxed Gold Edition (FSX plus Acceleration). It is difficult and time consuming, but following this guideline, it is flying perfectly. CAVEAT: I have not reloaded 3rd party software yet, so there may be monsters there. But a basic, default FSX is running fine, now. So here is a step by step guide that I hope proves useful. As I say, it is a “beta version”, so I will try to answer questions. I failed on 4 or 5 installs before putting this together.

FSX REINSTALLATION of Gold Edition out of the box with Product Keys.

1. FIRST, CLEAN UNINSTALL FSX.

a. UNINSTALL Acceleration from the Apps/uninstall on computer

b. UNINSTALL FSX from SYSTEMS computer app or from the disc 1.

c. CLOSE/REOPEN Program Uninstall on your computer and make sure all FSX components are gone.

d. Go to C:\Program Files (86x)\Microsoft Games\ Microsoft Flight Simulator and delete this folder (or whatever drive you had the main folder on).

e. Go to C:\Users\YOUR NAME and delete any fsx material. It may be in subfolders.

BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REINSTALL FSX:

2. Reset the license key (Cause of Error 1603)

a. Download MSKB928080 from https://web.archive.org/web/20070312190317/http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/c/d/1cd508f9-7520-4659-a122-a26e8804e884/mskb928080.exe or some other source. This worked for me- clean, no viruses.

b. Install MSKB928080 by accepting agreement and unzip to your main OS drive (C:\ drive in my case)

b. Open “Command prompt” by typing “Command Prompt” (No quotation marks. From here on out, I use quote marks just to let you know what exactly to type in. DON’T type them in unless stated.) A dialogue window pops up. Highlighted is Command Prompt. On right of the window, click “Run As Administrator”.

c. In the new, black cmd prompt window, at the blinking cursor, type “cd C:\ “then hit enter. If your OS drive had a different letter from mine, choose that.

d. At cursor, type “cd MicrosoftKB928080” and hit enter

e. At cursor, type “resetsldl -All “ and hit enter. NOTE: there is a space between ldl and –(the dash) and ALL is capitalized.

You should get a message for success in the token store reset. Close command prompt.

3. Reset Windows Installer (Cause of Error 1722)

a. In the ‘Type here to search box’ in screen’s left lower corner, type “Run” and hit Enter. In run box, type “Services.msc” (without quotes) and press Enter.

b. Find in list and Double-click on Windows Installer.

c. In the new window, set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual.

d. Click “Start” .Note down the error message if any. Click OK. I never had an error message.

4. Install FSX to a main drive (a NEW folder completely). Create the new folder. DON"T install to Program x86 folder.

Place Disc 1 in CD drive and open\run the setup as Administrator

After Disc 2 complete, start FSX. I initiated the default flight to make sure it worked. Along in here somewhere, you get to enter the FSX product key. Do so online and let it register you.

5. Close FSX and REBOOT computer. VERY IMPORTANT.

6. Go to FSX folder you just installed, right click Properties/ security and allow all permissions. I included the "Users" category for full control also.

7. REBOOT computer

8. Do RUN\Services.msc\Windows Installer\ Start again (as step 3 above)

9. Install FSX Acceleration. It already contains SP1 and SP2 so don't have to download/ install those

10. Start FSX

11. ERROR CODE 1-80004005 may come up on starting FSX. Hitting “Yes to online query” or just letting it run allows you to fly, but only gives you the trial version.

To Fix, you have to change the registry.

Registry Disclaimer:

Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

(For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756)

BUT THE EASIEST METHOD to back up is Create a System Restore Point before going any further. After creating a System Restore Point

NEXT, edit the registry:

a. In the ‘Type here to search box’ in screen’s left lower corner, type “regedit” in the search bar and press enter.

b. Browse to the following location in the list:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\CLASS\{4D36E967- E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

c. Find Upperfilters listed under it, double click it, and check its value, if its 0 change it to PartMgr and click OK. Mine said partmgr (lower case) so I switched it to PartMgr.

d. Restart FSX. Should get Activation screen. Choose "Activate Now" and enter the Product Key for Acceleration.

Close, reboot the computer, and restart FSX to be safe.

• 1 month later...

I too got the error, first time using W10. Anyway I went in the registry and found partmgr, thought it was OK and still got the error.

Then I read the above post and I changed it to PartMgr as stated above, hey presto it worked, so how did it get lower case in the first place, does W10 do this or what? I ran FSX before on W7 and never had this problem, what a pain.

Col.