I am looking for clarification on internet requirements for MSFS2020. I live in rural PA with internet service via cell. Cable is not an option. My internet speeds typically run from 4 mbps to 7 or 8 mbps, rarely have I gone above 10 mbps. The published requirement is 5 mbps minimum, with 20 mbps recommended. I am currently running FSX on a home built cockpit that does not require internet. I have been reading many recent posts on this forum which suggests that installation and operation of MSFS without high speed internet is a real problem.

Does anyone have any positive experience running MSFS without internet access or poor internet access? Are simmers living in areas with poor or no internet access out of luck running MSFS?

Gene

i7 975 @ 4.0,NH-D14, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, Win 7 64bit, 12GB, GTX570, Crucial SSD 1TB, WD 300 GB VRAP, WD 2TB, Antec 1200 tower,FSX Gold, FSUIPC, UTX, GEX, Simplugins

While your speed is on the low end, it should work. However, the bigger limit is likely going to be data caps as downloading the sim alone will use up 95 GB, or more, depending o the edition you buy.

Have you looked into Starlink's new satellite internet? It's aimed directly at people in your situation and offers far better download rates and latencies.

https://www.starlink.com

In theory, the sim can be used in offline mode, however, this has proven unreliable lately.

Thank you for the link. That looks interesting, I'll have to check into it.

i7 975 @ 4.0,NH-D14, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, Win 7 64bit, 12GB, GTX570, Crucial SSD 1TB, WD 300 GB VRAP, WD 2TB, Antec 1200 tower,FSX Gold, FSUIPC, UTX, GEX, Simplugins

In reality your speed is too low for MSFS to run properly. To start with you've got to download over 100 Gigabytes to even get to the start of the sim, no matter the various addons, market place options and updates which can all run as high as 50Gb. At your speeds it would take a week!

The other option is to buy the Steam version, which is on 10 discs - you still need an internet connection but you are at least spared the mind-numbing experience of an endless download. Without internet you won't get access to the goodies that the sim is famous for and which are downloaded as you play.

Unfortunately MS, as well as a number of other internet developers, are all now writing stuff that only works on-line so I can't see it getting any better.

The other option is to buy the Steam version, which is on 10 discs

The Steam and disc version are two separate things, and the disc version is not currently available in North America. Steam is still all digital and is downloaded as well, the difference being it is through the Steam online store rather than Microsoft's store.

I am in the same boat with poor rural internet and have been from the beginning. Long downloads are a thing and just need to be planned around. Keep aware of when updates are happening and let the software download when you don't plan on flying otherwise you will be stuck downloading mandatory updates when you want to fly.

initially I was downloading large tracts to fly over to reduce internet requirements. See this thread: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?326375-FSXX-runs-well-with-substandard-internet-speed

With the latest update I had to delete all my 10gb of prestored areas. I have not reloaded them yet. I do get bandwidth warnings and have to go in at the beginning of each flight and recheck photogrametry (SIC).

Don't let this put you off. The scenery is stunning. The latest wx updates are very near to looking out the window accurate. The ability to run local sim flights in actual wx conditions allows me to push limits I would never consider in real life. Taking off in less than 1 mile vis with 200 foot ceiling in pouring rain and being rewarded with sunshine on top and towering cumulus all around is excellent!

Is there a difference between the download times for from MS vs Steam? I've read that the MS servers are slow but I doubt that Steam could be successful with slow service. I thought I could bump my speed up for a month just to get past the initial download but then we get into a contract issue. Starlink is not yet available but that will be interesting. Just a question?
Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

Is there a difference between the download times for from MS vs Steam??

I have the steam version and it simply launches the MSFS launcher which then downloads/updates from the MSFS servers as far as I can tell.

Steam occasionally patches their launcher for compatibility with the MSFS launcher, but the actual sim download is MS served.

Maybe this can give you some insight.

I downloaded "Lorby MSFS online monitor" yesterday and today (just before reading this topic) made a flight in the xcub from JFK over Manhatten.

I let it fly for 25 minutes and the download speed was between 1 - 8 mbs.

Sometimes 0 for several second then up to 7-8

During that flight I consumed 1.7 GB data.

I have a 500 MB/sec connection.

Everything in game is on or on Ultra (except traffic)

without data restiction in game

Edited by hansb57
17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

In reality your speed is too low for MSFS to run properly. To start with you've got to download over 100 Gigabytes to even get to the start of the sim, no matter the various addons, market place options and updates which can all run as high as 50Gb. At your speeds it would take a week!

The other option is to buy the Steam version, which is on 10 discs - you still need an internet connection but you are at least spared the mind-numbing experience of an endless download. Without internet you won't get access to the goodies that the sim is famous for and which are downloaded as you play.

Unfortunately MS, as well as a number of other internet developers, are all now writing stuff that only works on-line so I can't see it getting any better.

If you buy the discs you still have to dowload a giant amount of patches and updates.

17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD