Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just us guys here?

Blog Entries

KLM says: Hop aboard, we're heading for International Women's Day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	156755592_10157986926055773_5255189966919265643_o.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	225660
    ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*
    Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler
    Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 32GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*
    XFX RX 5600 XT Thicc III ULTRA-14GBPS 6GB Boost UP to 1750MHz GDDR6 3xDP *Overclocked*
    850W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2
    CH Eclipse Yoke Corsair K60 Keyboard Cherry Mouse

Apparently India has the most female pilots of any country and Indian airlines employ the highest proportion of female pilots at 12.4%. Female airline pilots don't just fly the small shuttle sized aircraft, Emerates often crew their A380's and 777's with all female flight crews.

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    Here's one lady who's a commercial pilot/flight instructor/MSFS 2020 flight-simmer. She posts very helpful instructional (ad-supported) videos on YouTube. Her cat sometimes joins in. In one of her videos, she explains how to talk with ATC. In that video, she actually talks to a live ATC--in the sim. I think she uses an add-on called Pilotedge that connects her to a network of sim-connected real-life (retired) air traffic controllers who are somehow watching all the other simmers connected to them. I might try that someday--once I can at least flawlessly fly--and land--a Cessna 172.
    Hey @Aptosflier, I did a search and came up with this old post of yours and thought I'd update the thread a bit. I am now a paid subscriber of PilotEdge. If you still haven't tried PE, I definitely think you should. Unlike Vatsim it's a paid service but the amount you pay is easily worth it for a sim-only aviation lover like yourself.

Unlike Vatsim (which is also cool and I intend to try it for different reasons in the near future), ATC on PE is professionally trained and extremely realistic. If you go through their voluntary training program, known as the "CAT ratings," you will in no time become proficient at the basics of ATC communication, figuring out how airspace works, etc. The controllers, just so you know, are very real so they are not there to hold your hands and coach you. But they also know they are dealing mostly with student pilots (sim/real), so they tend to throw you tips and suggestions a bit more than you might hear on real-world ATC. They also seem more patient than in the real world. The PE website has plenty of training videos to gradually move you through each of the CAT ratings, one step at a time. You could even pay a coach to help you further, but I'm moving along nicely with just the videos.

You can get five hours or 14 days of a free trial. After that, it's about $20 month. As a sim-student, you might well be happy with getting a full month's worth of training and then switch to Vatsim once you're proficient.

Another note: the geographical coverage of PE is not unlimited. They hire real controllers so geographic scope is limited. The point is to train you on ATC communication, not to enjoy MSFS graphics while flying everywhere in the world. There are two US regions only that have coverage: "ZLA" (Southern Cal), and "Western US" (most of the western US outside ZLA). After the free trial ends, you have to pick ZLA or WUS for that $20 fee, unless you want to pay for both at $35. ZLA is more densely populated with covered airports and covered airspaces, so it's better for training, but you might pick WUS if you're only going to stick with long-distance airliners.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Quote Originally Posted by neilends View Post
    Hey @Aptosflier, I did a search and came up with this old post of yours and thought I'd update the thread a bit. I am now a paid subscriber of PilotEdge. If you still haven't tried PE, I definitely think you should. Unlike Vatsim it's a paid service but the amount you pay is easily worth it for a sim-only aviation lover like yourself.

Unlike Vatsim (which is also cool and I intend to try it for different reasons in the near future), ATC on PE is professionally trained and extremely realistic. If you go through their voluntary training program, known as the "CAT ratings," you will in no time become proficient at the basics of ATC communication, figuring out how airspace works, etc. The controllers, just so you know, are very real so they are not there to hold your hands and coach you. But they also know they are dealing mostly with student pilots (sim/real), so they tend to throw you tips and suggestions a bit more than you might hear on real-world ATC. They also seem more patient than in the real world. The PE website has plenty of training videos to gradually move you through each of the CAT ratings, one step at a time. You could even pay a coach to help you further, but I'm moving along nicely with just the videos.

You can get five hours or 14 days of a free trial. After that, it's about $20 month. As a sim-student, you might well be happy with getting a full month's worth of training and then switch to Vatsim once you're proficient.

Another note: the geographical coverage of PE is not unlimited. They hire real controllers so geographic scope is limited. The point is to train you on ATC communication, not to enjoy MSFS graphics while flying everywhere in the world. There are two US regions only that have coverage: "ZLA" (Southern Cal), and "Western US" (most of the western US outside ZLA). After the free trial ends, you have to pick ZLA or WUS for that $20 fee, unless you want to pay for both at $35. ZLA is more densely populated with covered airports and covered airspaces, so it's better for training, but you might pick WUS if you're only going to stick with long-distance airliners.
    Well that was an excuse to advertise

Quote Originally Posted by neilends View Post

Thanks Neil. I'm familiar with PilotEdge through the YouTube tutorial I referenced way back whenever. I might try it someday. I can see that it would be very useful for you, since you're taking RL flight lessons, but I'm not ready for it yet. I fear I would just embarrass myself. I'm still figuring out how to use the G3000 in the Daher TBM, my go-to aircraft of late. Today I flew IFR from Watsonville to San Jose, with an ILS approach to RWY 30L there. Then I set up a flight plan from KSJC to KSMF (Sacramento Intl.), with an ILS approach to RWY 35L at KSMF using the TBM's G3000 MFD. However, I couldn't figure out how to request an IFR flight plan in the G3000 and so flew VFR. Without instructions from ATC, I failed to reduce my altitude soon enough and wound up too high at the waypoint intersecting the glideslope. Even with the autopilot's APR activated I could see I wouldn't make the runway on autopilot. So I disengaged the AP and tried to force the landing, which was pretty messy. To make up for that, I taxied back to the runway and took off again, intending to fly a landing pattern for 35L again. But the tower told me to go "left base" to land in the opposite direction--on RWY 17R. Which I did, after flying sufficiently far enough out to turn back to the runway I'd just left. I then hand-flew a very satisfying touchdown and called it an afternoon. I'm getting the hang of the sim, but I am not ready for PilotEdge's near reality.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnJohn View Post
    Well that was an excuse to advertise
    Uh... I'm a customer of a product who enjoys the product so I'm just explaining why I like it. Isn't that what you do every day on this forum, and in fact, isn't that the entire function of this entire forum from top to bottom?
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

When have I posted about a product I like? Maybe the screenshot forum in Meigs - but I don't post here EVERY DAY......please contain your falsehoods about me. Thanks.

The function is for purposeful discussion of people that have issues to solve them, ask questions about the program, get answers....that's the function of the forum. Your post was really like an advertisement, so that's why I thought it was a push for the product.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnJohn View Post
    The function is for purposeful discussion of people that have issues to solve them, ask questions about the program, get answers....that's the function of the forum. Your post was really like an advertisement, so that's why I thought it was a push for the product.
    And some of those questions are about product recommendations, and some answers and discussions are about products people like using and want to recommend to others. I don't see an issue with an enthusiastic user recommending something. If you really don't think a post is appropriate, hit the report button so Nels and mods can take a look.

Well, my wife and I named our baby girl Amelia. Not a coincidence. She's only 15 months currently, so give her a few years to catch up with us lot. I'll do my best to indoctrina...ahem...educate her.

I plan on taking her to her first airshow as soon...but they're still getting cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    And some of those questions are about product recommendations, and some answers and discussions are about products people like using and want to recommend to others. I don't see an issue with an enthusiastic user recommending something. If you really don't think a post is appropriate, hit the report button so Nels and mods can take a look.
    I did put up a suggestion asking MODERATORS for their attention to it in the forum a few days ago, perhaps almost three or four days, about what to include in asking for help with the new sim...not one response....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast