Is this an error

jparnold

The Nov/Dec issue of PC Pilot (the latest available in Australia) has an article on the A320 family which ends with a description of the flight plan for the YMML (Melbourne) to YSSY (Sydney) route, described as a busy route, which states (for the arrival into YSSY) -

"Hence the SIDs will only take you so far before ATC will vector you to the relevant ILS final approach fix. The typical SID for arrivals from the south are to track to RIVET or TAMMI intersections....." - highlighting by me not in the article.

I am only a beginner but I thought STARs were used for arrival at an airport not SIDs.

Is it an error or am I missing something?

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

The Nov/Dec issue of PC Pilot (the latest available in Australia) has an article on the A320 family which ends with a description of the flight plan for the YMML (Melbourne) to YSSY (Sydney) route, described as a busy route, which states (for the arrival into YSSY) -

"Hence the SIDs will only take you so far before ATC will vector you to the relevant ILS final approach fix. The typical SID for arrivals from the south are to track to RIVET or TAMMI intersections....." - highlighting by me not in the article.

I am only a beginner but I thought STARs were used for arrival at an airport not SIDs.

Is it an error or am I missing something?

Standard Terminal Arrival = STAR

Standard Instrument Departure = SID

A Standard Instrument Departure Route (SID) is a standard ATS route identified in an instrument departure procedure by which aircraft should proceed from take-off phase to the en-route phase.

A Standard Arrival Route (STAR) is a standard ATS route identified in an approach procedure by which aircraft should proceed from the en-route phase to an initial approach fix.

I am not aware of SIDS as STARS, or vice versa. They are standardised terms.

I would say they are in error, but I am not an expert on Aussie flying.

without the context it's umpozsible to say if course. I'm sure that would have made more clear what's meant. (The title of the article. The whole text. etc. (For one, sentences don't start with "Hence".)
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all your replies.

Firstly the magazine is produced in ENGLAND as well as the fact that although we are "the land downunder" air flights follow international 'rules'.

without the context it's umpozsible to say if course. I'm sure that would have made more clear what's meant. (The title of the article. The whole text. etc. (For one, sentences don't start with "Hence".)

Regardless of grammar the sentence DOES start with HENCE.

pcpilot1.jpg

Edited by jparnold
picture change

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick