Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what vintage/classic aircraft are planned for FS2020 ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default what vintage/classic aircraft are planned for FS2020 ?

I don't mind the new stuff, some is quite nice... but for me, there was flight before glass cockpits. There were piston powered airliners by Lockheed Constellations and Boeing B-337 and others. There was the oceangoing flying boats, there was the amazing B-707, and Douglas C-124.

But so far, the only large vintage aircraft I've heard being in development is the DC-3. And that's a great choice. But... is that all? Is anyone intending to make any others????

Ok so I have since discovered a few:

in vintage warbirds, the Spitfire and P51 Mustang are in development.

For very old airliners, there is the legendary Douglas DC-3, and also the Boeing 247D, which is sort of like a smaller DC-3. These two are also in development, no idea of release date.

Also, there is a Grumman Goose, an amphibious seaplane. It's available to download and fly already, and free. There doesn't seem to be any showstopping problems with it, but it's still being developed, I think they want to include features not yet in it (the radios weren't functional in the first release AFAIK). But it's free and it looks good:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...edux-ii/338063

https://www.msfsaddon.com/2020/12/ms...-redux-ii.html

This is a very rudimentary attempt at the Spirit of St. Louis, but I gave it a shot for kicks and it was fun/interesting. For this the VR headset is a huge advantage, because the line of vision from the pilot's seat is so bizarre.

I don't know how accurate the model is, and nor did I figure out whether the fuel capacity and fuel efficiency are correct (for purposes of an Atlantic crossing).

http://www.allflightmods.com/microso...ouis-aircraft/
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Aerosoft is aiming to release a deHavilland DHC-6 Twin Otter in the Summer of 2021, and it looks great!

Aerosoft has stated publicly that they have put the DHC-2 Beaver on the production list, but it's too early to know when it'll be started or finished. After stating that they got a lot of people posting that they look forward to the Beaver!

Someone asked if Aerosoft would be making or porting a Consolidated PBY Catalina, and the company rep in the forums said it's not planned, but he hopes to, but didn't know if they would, or when that might happen. But it sounds like it's a possibility. This makes me happy, as I found myself very surprised at how much I enjoyed Mike Stone's PBY Catalina in FS2004: something about how it's anphibious makes it a challenge to land on runways, and a challenge on smaller lakes, coupled with the fact there was no flaps, making energy management and angle of attack very important to do a successful approach and landing!! I never thought I'd enjoy such a sedate and slow airplane on a computer, but I ended up loving it!

I look forward to all three, and other vintage aircraft I'd love to see for MSFS 2020 are the Lockheed Constellation and SuperConnie, the Lockheed Hercules C-130H (the most common and exported version), BoingBoing B-707, B-737-200, Douglas DC-6, DC-8, DC-9 and DC-10, C-124 Globemaster II (very ugly looking double deck military transport..seen at the end of movie Thunderball while Navy frogmen parachuted to stop the badguys!), de Havilland Canada DHC-4 Caribou and the Caribou turboprop variant, Lockheed Tristar L-1011 and SR-71 Blackbird, Airbus A310, Hughes 500D (TC's cool yellow chopper from TV show Magnum PI), UH-60 Black Hawk, Van's Aircraft RV-14 (ok yes those last two are NOT vintage in any way but that's my list!).

I'd also love some earlier Rutan designs, but I hear the Long EZE is already available for MSFS I think?

Edit: Beechcraft Model 18 and Lockheed Electra model 10 and or 12 Junior. Boeing 377 Stratocruiser and 307 Stratoliner. Someone is making a Boeing 314 Clipper for a different simulator (maybe FSX or P3D ?) but be nice in MSFS2020!
    Last edited by Herc79; 04-11-2021 at 06:55 PM.

The Piper Arrow III by JustFlight definitely deserves mention on this thread. It's modeled after a gently used plane, not a brand new one, and does not have a glass cockpit. I like flying in it a lot.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Good call! Yea, older GA, that counts for certain!

Quote Originally Posted by neilends View Post
    The Piper Arrow III by JustFlight definitely deserves mention on this thread. It's modeled after a gently used plane, not a brand new one, and does not have a glass cockpit. I like flying in it a lot.

I just watched a video about this product, and a competing one of the same plane by Carenado...

The Carenado looks like a nice super clean newer Arrow that a Doctor might buy for himself, while the Just Flight really does fit the vintage era that fits this thread! It seems it is more like the fight school planes I've flown! Or the cargo dogs flying newspapers and fresh fish to regional communities. Out around Western Canada, at Vancouver BC, there is a small fleet of old GA planes used for commercial cargo flights, C-152's, Piper Navajos, Islanders, Caravans, Dakotas and such, and that's what they did do: newspapers fish and so on.They'd fly the graveyard hours a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5vTq8Ozsvg

Sadly one morning came to work and discovered a cargo crew had crashed into a mountainside on Saltspring Island in the middle of the night, that's near CYYJ Victoria International Airport, Friday Harbour, and Orcas Islands. I don't recall why they crashed, but a couple people I worked with were very upset because they knew the pilots that died.

http://www.saltspringarchives.com/dr...Nov25-1998.pdf

I'd love to see a decent DC-3 and Maybe PMDG's DC-6...

So from what I gather, the B-747 passenger version was viewed by Boeing internally as a temporary stop-gap, to fill the void of the market, until the B-2707 would be ready for paying passengers!

It's kinda weird to think of what Boeing would have made if it weren't going for cargo... might they have put the cockpit up front on the main deck, and not have the hump bump???

You might also have heard of the 747 Tri-jet... an attempt to reduce fuel consumption on long flights with slightly fewer pax. But... they decided the engineering cost was too high, to make a "Tristar" style tail assembly. So instead they opted for extreme range and slightly higher speed, simply by removing two airframe plugs, simplifying and lightening the flaps, giving the world the stubby 747SP (Special Performance), that often cruised at MAch .93 on very long distance flights, like China to North AMerican locations, and South AFrica to European destinations while skirting around Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasjon View Post
    I'd love to see a decent DC-3 and Maybe PMDG's DC-6...
    PMDG have said they will be bringing their entire line-up to MSFS, including the DC-6. Might take a while though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast