what vintage/classic aircraft are planned for FS2020 ?

At a certain point, glass cockpits are kinda... well, a little boring. When it comes to safety, glass cockpits are amazing and provide a HUGE amount of data in a relatively small cockpit dash.

BUT... for training purposes, to get used to losing some or all of your avionics, be it your radios, your GPS, a power outage, pito heat failure causing ice blockage and loss of airspeed data, an antenna loss... it's nice to learn and practice on aircraft that have fewer and less complex avionics.

Herc79, at the risk of going off-topic here I would like to share my real-life experience with glass vs steam-gauge cockpits. About 15 years ago, I did my PPL on a Tiger Moth. Perhaps 80% of it - had to do some time in a C172 for cross country & navigation etc. I absolutely loved the open-cockpit flying of the Tiger Moth but also enjoyed the longer legs and "comfort" of the C172 and eventually racked up about 200 flying hours in the two aircraft. Then life happened and my pilot license lapsed.

About two years ago, I decided to revive my pilot's license and to spice it up by doing it on a modern LSA aircraft called a Sling 2. It is a beautiful little aircraft with an EFIS glass cockpit. Long story short, I absolutely hated the EFIS instruments. The information presented on it was so small and cluttered that my brain (and eyes) just couldn't process it properly. I spent 90% of the time trying to figure out what was going on there and 10% of the time flying the aircraft. In other words, it became a story of managing a system, rather than flying the plane. With the old "six-pack" it took my eyes/brain a 2-second glance to know exactly what the aircraft was doing. Eventually I found a way to switch the EFIS to a mode which presented the more familiar "six-pack" instruments.

Bottom line is that I dislike glass cockpits with a passion and love steam gauges. With MSFS being a modern flight sim, Asobo is really pushing the glass-cockpit theme down our throats. Like you, I am longing for my comfort-zone of vintage aircraft with "proper" instruments where one can truly fly the aircraft rather than manage a system. But I do understand that there are people who like it the other way around and then there is also the new iPad generation who like to fly with a screen in front of them.

Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is that I dislike glass cockpits with a passion and love steam gauges. With MSFS being a modern flight sim, Asobo is really pushing the glass-cockpit theme down our throats. Like you, I am longing for my comfort-zone of vintage aircraft with "proper" instruments where one can truly fly the aircraft rather than manage a system. But I do understand that there are people who like it the other way around and then there is also the new iPad generation who like to fly with a screen in front of them.

Completely agreed, word by word.

In that respect, and at the risk of going off-topic too, have you seen yesterday's ANNOUNCEMENT here at the home page?

It looks really promising, I'm sure I will give it a try as soon as it is available, and if it is half as good as everything Mathijs Kok is involved with, it might end being my primary sim activity soon.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

In that respect, and at the risk of going off-topic too, have you seen yesterday's ANNOUNCEMENT here at the home page?

That looks excellent, I actually have that PZL-104 Wilga 35A tow-plane for FSX and rate it highly. Hopefully Aerosoft will bring World-of-Aircraft prices down to comparable MSFS peers and not stick to their high FSX/P3D price levels.

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

A Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander is being developed by Blackbox Simulations: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/coming-soon-from-blackbox-simulation/394104

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The Piper Arrow III by JustFlight definitely deserves mention on this thread. It's modeled after a gently used plane, not a brand new one, and does not have a glass cockpit. I like flying in it a lot.

I just watched a video about this product, and a competing one of the same plane by Carenado...

The Carenado looks like a nice super clean newer Arrow that a Doctor might buy for himself, while the Just Flight really does fit the vintage era that fits this thread! It seems it is more like the fight school planes I've flown! Or the cargo dogs flying newspapers and fresh fish to regional communities. Out around Western Canada, at Vancouver BC, there is a small fleet of old GA planes used for commercial cargo flights, C-152's, Piper Navajos, Islanders, Caravans, Dakotas and such, and that's what they did do: newspapers fish and so on.They'd fly the graveyard hours a lot.

" width=425" height="350" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen">

Sadly one morning came to work and discovered a cargo crew had crashed into a mountainside on Saltspring Island in the middle of the night, that's near CYYJ Victoria International Airport, Friday Harbour, and Orcas Islands. I don't recall why they crashed, but a couple people I worked with were very upset because they knew the pilots that died.

http://www.saltspringarchives.com/driftwood/1998/v40n48Nov25-1998.pdf

Payware Vintage aircraft inbound! (in less than 24 hrs time):

Bell 47 from FlyInside

This is the famous "M.A.S.H. Chopper" from an old movie and TV series of the same name, that revolves around a US military medical field hospital near a battlefield in the Korean war. The Bell 47 is seen in the TV show introduction bringing casualties on mounted stretchers, landing close to the tents of the hospital.

This is one of the earliest of truly useable helicopters, and while it was too small and lower powered to do some heli tasks, it was plenty great for doing some jobs, notably: helicopter pilot training, crop spraying, traffic observation, TV camera shots, animal tracking. I've seen these doing those types of jobs even in more recent years, so while it may be simple, old and have some size/power limitations, it's definately stood the test of time and airworthy endurance!

So while officially MSFS won't have helicopters until sometime in 2022... there is the freeware H135 super-modern very sophisticated Airbus super-chopper... and now this payware Bell 47 by FlyInside, complete with fantastic clear bubble canopy viewing!

The developer apparently has some 20,000 hours in the real Bell 47, so it seems likely this will fly with realism, and the video below has a review by a real heli pilot (though he admits he's not flown this type IRL before):

Bell 47 | Pre Release Flight Test | Cold & Dark | First Payware Helicopter | Review | FlyInside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufnUOqWuAM0

Payware Vintage aircraft inbound! (in less than 24 hrs time):

Bell 47 from FlyInside

This is the famous "M.A.S.H. Chopper" from an old movie and TV series of the same name, that revolves around a US military medical field hospital near a battlefield in the Korean war. The Bell 47 is seen in the TV show introduction bringing casualties on mounted stretchers, landing close to the tents of the hospital.

This is one of the earliest of truly useable helicopters, and while it was too small and lower powered to do some heli tasks, it was plenty great for doing some jobs, notably: helicopter pilot training, crop spraying, traffic observation, TV camera shots, animal tracking. I've seen these doing those types of jobs even in more recent years, so while it may be simple, old and have some size/power limitations, it's definately stood the test of time and airworthy endurance!

So while officially MSFS won't have helicopters until sometime in 2022... there is the freeware H135 super-modern very sophisticated Airbus super-chopper... and now this payware Bell 47 by FlyInside, complete with fantastic clear bubble canopy viewing!

The developer apparently has some 20,000 hours in the real Bell 47, so it seems likely this will fly with realism, and the video below has a review by a real heli pilot (though he admits he's not flown this type IRL before):

Bell 47 | Pre Release Flight Test | Cold & Dark | First Payware Helicopter | Review | FlyInside

Update, SÉRGIO likes it too!

https://www.helisimmer.com/previews/flyinside-bell-47-g2-microsoft-flight-simulator

Buy it here:

https://flyinside-helis.com/

Forum Moderators: any chance you could delete post #32 ? It wouldn't let me edit to fix, so I reposted the fixed youtube link into post #33

Edited by Herc79

• 2 weeks later...

So did you finally buy the chopper?

It's quite appealing to me, though a bit expensive at the moment. Also, I hate to buy from yet another store: I hope it becomes available from MS Marketplace or Simmarket eventually. In addition, I don't know if I would manage to pilot it at all. Flying helis is sort of a controlled accident to me!! :eek:

That aside, guess you've seen the recent news on the home page about the Eagle, the Stearman and the CONCORDE!! :cool:

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

• 4 weeks later...

Ah not yet, the 'puter went down. And I'm not exactly the most competent rotor driver!

however...

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

Flight sim developers "Pilots" have announced the Boeing Clipper, the B314 flying boat!

Now THAT is vintage aviation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUW55OX-RpA

https://www.google.com/search?q=b314+pan+am+clipper&rlz=1CAEAQE_enCA894&sxsrf=ALeKk02AY5kyNDYSJdsjCJtYiOWYu7-KkA:1622930327471&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi1xafNvoHxAhUQwZ4KHZLWD5UQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1366&bih=617

I would luv to see a B727, B732, B733 or B735... something in that range. Nothing too fancy (not a "study" level), but something fun to fly above the default MSFS level but below a PMDG level in the $30's range. I would think those would be popular.

Above the default MSFS level is proving to be a hard act to follow for some - even if the graphics match, the functionality doesn't or vice-versa... However I agree, Fifty North where are you now?

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I would luv to see a B727, B732, B733 or B735... something in that range. Nothing too fancy (not a "study" level), but something fun to fly above the default MSFS level but below a PMDG level in the $30's range. I would think those would be popular.

I'm sure many are having that same thought, including probably a few devs.

Not vintage but maybe classic: Project Mega Pack (the livery guys) have been building a 737-800 from scratch for several months and it's nearing completion now. Check out the progress on their discord channel here: https://discord.com/channels/746450820077453393/791822346201727007

This is freeware and yet the attention to detail is positively OCD. If I were PMDG I'd be worried right now!

Edited by tiger1962

• 3 weeks later...

Back to our regularly scheduled Vintage:

Loki posted this already in another thread, but I wanted to repost in this one for future searching and database purposes:

PMDG DC-6 for MSFS

Was: $59.99

Now: $54.99

Screenshots and purchase:

https://pmdg.com/msfs/

PMDG's forum announcment:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/129736-16jun21-pmdg-dc-6-for-microsoft-flight-simulator-release-date-announcement

Here's a review from this site!

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?22723-Review-PMDG-Douglas-DC-6-For-MSFS-2020

Gallery_10__94240.1623789731.jpg

• 3 months later...
And I can hardly wait for a nice Ercoupe 415-C to become a reality in MSFS 2020.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Guest operavid
I have several GOLDEN AGE SIMULATIONS aircraft for FSX/P3D and while they lack some graphics/texture quality, they are such interesting aircraft of the 1930's era that I tend to overlook that and enjoy the uniqueness of flying some long-forgotten aircraft of the golden age of aviation.

I just learned of a nice freeware airplane that is a favorite of mine:

The Antonov AN-2, also known by it's NATO designation "Colt"!

This is a "do anything do everything" bush plane, an airliner for the most remote places on our earth, connecting tiny towns with gravel airstrips in Siberia, Africa and the rest of the world, to connect to jet air hubs. They have been used for flight training, flying clubs, parachute training, agricultural crop spraying and probably many other things I've not even considered!

It's well known that for some years it was even considered a stealth plane! See, at it's slower cruise speed, it fell below the airspeed of most radar filter speeds, thus not displaying on an interceptor radar even though the radar actually did detect a return. The fear during the Cold War was that Spetznaz commandos could infiltrate successfully using the AN-2 without NATO even knowning. Now... that was decades ago, I don't recommend anyone attempting such a feat today, radars are WILDLY more sophisticated in computations and precision, and when you add in data libraries, ISR and C3I, that Colt would be brought down FAST. But it does make it a very interesting subject!

Another interesting fact is that it doesn't seem to have a true "stall"... from what I gather, it's wing area is such that it doesn't really "plumet" when it stalls, but rather just has a faster descent...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/antonov-an-2-very-well-made-for-a-freeware/462810

One thing that I'm very happy about, is that there is more interest in vintage and odball airplanes for MSFS2020 than I thought there might be... I was worried many months ago that it would all be brand new tubeliners and glass cockpits, and not a steamgauge or canvas wing in sight. I'm very happy to have anything that flies of any era, including rotary birds with all their parts flying in close formation!

• 4 months later...