Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin G1000 ILS approach settings driving me nuts

Default Garmin G1000 ILS approach settings driving me nuts

I am trying to set up and activate an ILS approach in the Garmin G1000 (in the Cessna 172). I've watched and re-watched YouTube videos on how to do this. I enter the ILS frequency in NAV1, click on "PROC," then select and enter "APR," then select and enter the runway, etc. Then at the bottom of the window, I'm presented with a choice: "Load" or "Activate." Per what I've done just before, I should be able to press the button for "cursor," with would highlight one of these choices, and then I should be able to use the mouse to select one or the other. But I cannot highlight either one to select the one I want (activate). I click on the "approach" button to the left of the PFD screen, but that just seems to toggle approach on or off, without activating the AP approach. In the video I've now watched multiple times, I somehow keep missing what the guy does in the sim to activate the ILS approach in the Garmin autopilot. Has anybody managed to do this? And how? I have a Logitech multi-panel with all the nice dials, switches, and buttons, and although stuff I dial in there will show up in the sim autopilot, the APR button on my panel doesn't seem to activate an AP autopilot approach in the sim either.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    I am trying to set up and activate an ILS approach in the Garmin G1000 (in the Cessna 172). I've watched and re-watched YouTube videos on how to do this. I enter the ILS frequency in NAV1, click on "PROC," then select and enter "APR," then select and enter the runway, etc. Then at the bottom of the window, I'm presented with a choice: "Load" or "Activate." Per what I've done just before, I should be able to press the button for "cursor," with would highlight one of these choices, and then I should be able to use the mouse to select one or the other. But I cannot highlight either one to select the one I want (activate). I click on the "approach" button to the left of the PFD screen, but that just seems to toggle approach on or off, without activating the AP approach. In the video I've now watched multiple times, I somehow keep missing what the guy does in the sim to activate the ILS approach in the Garmin autopilot. Has anybody managed to do this? And how? I have a Logitech multi-panel with all the nice dials, switches, and buttons, and although stuff I dial in there will show up in the sim autopilot, the APR button on my panel doesn't seem to activate an AP autopilot approach in the sim either.
    The actual dials on the G1000 are tricky to use via the mouse, but that may be where you are having trouble, because I struggled the same way. If you don't place the mouse-cursor exactly at the right location on the dial, it will rotate the inner dial when you want the outer one or vice versa.

It helps to magnify the dial as much as you can to reduce the chance of rotating the wrong dial.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Hi Aptos,

I think you're basically doing it correctly. I've had a couple of times where the cursor didn't come back so I could select LOAD or ACTIVATE. Retrying to set up the Approach seemed to work those times.

I tested with a flight in your neighborhood today. KWVI to KMRY ILS 10R. If you're going to go into the PROC on the Garmin then you don't actually have to set the ILS frequency yourself. It's loaded into the system when you select the ILS 10R procedure. This Approach will take you to MINCK intersection via GPS and then it switches the CDI needle to the Localizer for you.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavulife View Post
    Hi Aptos,

I think you're basically doing it correctly. I've had a couple of times where the cursor didn't come back so I could select LOAD or ACTIVATE. Retrying to set up the Approach seemed to work those times.

I tested with a flight in your neighborhood today. KWVI to KMRY ILS 10R. If you're going to go into the PROC on the Garmin then you don't actually have to set the ILS frequency yourself. It's loaded into the system when you select the ILS 10R procedure. This Approach will take you to MINCK intersection via GPS and then it switches the CDI needle to the Localizer for you.

Good luck.
    Thanks. I tried it again, with no luck, but with a lot of practice landing manually when the Garmin wouldn't take me where I wanted to go. What steps and in what order did do them after taking off from KWVI? Did you set a heading to intersect with the localizer? I tried following a heading 198 degrees that would intersect it, as indicated by a flight plan I did on SkyVector. This was to the farthest localizer waypoint from 10R, ZBED. MINCK is the next one on. When I got closer (it doesn't take long), I turned on the autopilot and pushed the APR button on my Logitech multipanel in the expectation that the Cessna would turn toward the localizer, but nothing happened. (I had "loaded" the approach info on a couple of attempts; on my last one, I clicked on "activate." It made no difference.) Were you on AP all the way? Did you fly direct to the localizer and if so, how did you do this? I am so confused and frustrated. I really want to learn how to use this Garmin. It's a $50,000 piece of equipment; I'm glad I didn't actually pay for it. :-)

After I returned to Watsonville, I went looking for our house in a slower plane, starting the flight from our map coordinates. I still couldn't spot it. Gave up and put it down on a grass strip at a nearby prep school.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

While sitting on the runway at KWVI I entered the PROC menu and selected the ILS 10R. I think the cursor disappeared and I had to push the button to enable it again, which seems dumb. Once the cursor came on I used the big knob in the back to scroll down to LOAD and then hit enter. After that it’s just flying the magenta line. I did it both with AP and hand flying, no difference.

I never select ACTIVATE for the procedure only because I’m not so sure what the difference is. LOAD always works for me.

While sitting on the runway at KWVI I entered the PROC menu and selected the ILS 10R. I think the cursor disappeared and I had to push the button to enable it again, which seems dumb. Once the cursor came on I used the big knob in the back to scroll down to LOAD and then hit enter. After that it’s just flying the magenta line. I did it both with AP and hand flying, no difference.

I never select ACTIVATE for the procedure only because I’m not so sure what the difference is. LOAD always works for me.
    This is hilarious because I only use ACTIVATE!
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Thanks! Did you first set up a flight plan on the World map for KWVI to KMRY RWY 10R, via GPS, or was the AP following the "magenta line" from KWVI directly to MINCK? Either way, I just need to load the approach settings, take off, turn on autopilot and let the AP do the rest? What altitude did you fly on the route? Did you set your cruise height in the autopilot? Anything else I should know?
    Last edited by Aptosflier; 02-26-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    Thanks! Did you first set up a flight plan on the World map for KWVI to KMRY RWY 10R, via GPS, or was the AP following the "magenta line" from KWVI directly to MINCK? Either way, I just need to load the approach settings, take off, turn on autopilot and let the AP do the rest? What altitude did you fly on the route? Did you set your cruise height in the autopilot? Anything else I should know?
    Hit the CDI button to switch the navigation data source from GPS to LOC when you are on approach.

As for altitude, I try to match the altitude listed on the airport’s “plate.”

And yes, I am cruising on AP at a cruising altitude when the localizer is intercepted. The localizer automatically takes control of the AP (so to speak) at that point.

Sorry for the multiple posts but one more:

On this plate for an ILS runway at Phoenix, you’ll see a waypoint called TESLE. The plate shows a target altitude for TESLE of 7,000 feet. I try to hit TESLE at 7,000 feet.

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2102/pdf/00322IL7R.PDF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast