Garmin G1000 ILS approach settings driving me nuts

I am trying to set up and activate an ILS approach in the Garmin G1000 (in the Cessna 172). I've watched and re-watched YouTube videos on how to do this. I enter the ILS frequency in NAV1, click on "PROC," then select and enter "APR," then select and enter the runway, etc. Then at the bottom of the window, I'm presented with a choice: "Load" or "Activate." Per what I've done just before, I should be able to press the button for "cursor," with would highlight one of these choices, and then I should be able to use the mouse to select one or the other. But I cannot highlight either one to select the one I want (activate). I click on the "approach" button to the left of the PFD screen, but that just seems to toggle approach on or off, without activating the AP approach. In the video I've now watched multiple times, I somehow keep missing what the guy does in the sim to activate the ILS approach in the Garmin autopilot. Has anybody managed to do this? And how? I have a Logitech multi-panel with all the nice dials, switches, and buttons, and although stuff I dial in there will show up in the sim autopilot, the APR button on my panel doesn't seem to activate an AP autopilot approach in the sim either.
HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I am trying to set up and activate an ILS approach in the Garmin G1000 (in the Cessna 172). I've watched and re-watched YouTube videos on how to do this. I enter the ILS frequency in NAV1, click on "PROC," then select and enter "APR," then select and enter the runway, etc. Then at the bottom of the window, I'm presented with a choice: "Load" or "Activate." Per what I've done just before, I should be able to press the button for "cursor," with would highlight one of these choices, and then I should be able to use the mouse to select one or the other. But I cannot highlight either one to select the one I want (activate). I click on the "approach" button to the left of the PFD screen, but that just seems to toggle approach on or off, without activating the AP approach. In the video I've now watched multiple times, I somehow keep missing what the guy does in the sim to activate the ILS approach in the Garmin autopilot. Has anybody managed to do this? And how? I have a Logitech multi-panel with all the nice dials, switches, and buttons, and although stuff I dial in there will show up in the sim autopilot, the APR button on my panel doesn't seem to activate an AP autopilot approach in the sim either.

The actual dials on the G1000 are tricky to use via the mouse, but that may be where you are having trouble, because I struggled the same way. If you don't place the mouse-cursor exactly at the right location on the dial, it will rotate the inner dial when you want the outer one or vice versa.

It helps to magnify the dial as much as you can to reduce the chance of rotating the wrong dial.

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Hi Aptos,

I think you're basically doing it correctly. I've had a couple of times where the cursor didn't come back so I could select LOAD or ACTIVATE. Retrying to set up the Approach seemed to work those times.

I tested with a flight in your neighborhood today. KWVI to KMRY ILS 10R. If you're going to go into the PROC on the Garmin then you don't actually have to set the ILS frequency yourself. It's loaded into the system when you select the ILS 10R procedure. This Approach will take you to MINCK intersection via GPS and then it switches the CDI needle to the Localizer for you.

Good luck.

Hi Aptos,

I think you're basically doing it correctly. I've had a couple of times where the cursor didn't come back so I could select LOAD or ACTIVATE. Retrying to set up the Approach seemed to work those times.

I tested with a flight in your neighborhood today. KWVI to KMRY ILS 10R. If you're going to go into the PROC on the Garmin then you don't actually have to set the ILS frequency yourself. It's loaded into the system when you select the ILS 10R procedure. This Approach will take you to MINCK intersection via GPS and then it switches the CDI needle to the Localizer for you.

Good luck.

Thanks. I tried it again, with no luck, but with a lot of practice landing manually when the Garmin wouldn't take me where I wanted to go. What steps and in what order did do them after taking off from KWVI? Did you set a heading to intersect with the localizer? I tried following a heading 198 degrees that would intersect it, as indicated by a flight plan I did on SkyVector. This was to the farthest localizer waypoint from 10R, ZBED. MINCK is the next one on. When I got closer (it doesn't take long), I turned on the autopilot and pushed the APR button on my Logitech multipanel in the expectation that the Cessna would turn toward the localizer, but nothing happened. (I had "loaded" the approach info on a couple of attempts; on my last one, I clicked on "activate." It made no difference.) Were you on AP all the way? Did you fly direct to the localizer and if so, how did you do this? I am so confused and frustrated. I really want to learn how to use this Garmin. It's a $50,000 piece of equipment; I'm glad I didn't actually pay for it. :-)

After I returned to Watsonville, I went looking for our house in a slower plane, starting the flight from our map coordinates. I still couldn't spot it. Gave up and put it down on a grass strip at a nearby prep school.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

While sitting on the runway at KWVI I entered the PROC menu and selected the ILS 10R. I think the cursor disappeared and I had to push the button to enable it again, which seems dumb. Once the cursor came on I used the big knob in the back to scroll down to LOAD and then hit enter. After that it’s just flying the magenta line. I did it both with AP and hand flying, no difference.

I never select ACTIVATE for the procedure only because I’m not so sure what the difference is. LOAD always works for me.

While sitting on the runway at KWVI I entered the PROC menu and selected the ILS 10R. I think the cursor disappeared and I had to push the button to enable it again, which seems dumb. Once the cursor came on I used the big knob in the back to scroll down to LOAD and then hit enter. After that it’s just flying the magenta line. I did it both with AP and hand flying, no difference.

I never select ACTIVATE for the procedure only because I’m not so sure what the difference is. LOAD always works for me.

This is hilarious because I only use ACTIVATE!

Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Thanks! Did you first set up a flight plan on the World map for KWVI to KMRY RWY 10R, via GPS, or was the AP following the "magenta line" from KWVI directly to MINCK? Either way, I just need to load the approach settings, take off, turn on autopilot and let the AP do the rest? What altitude did you fly on the route? Did you set your cruise height in the autopilot? Anything else I should know?

Edited by Aptosflier

Thanks! Did you first set up a flight plan on the World map for KWVI to KMRY RWY 10R, via GPS, or was the AP following the "magenta line" from KWVI directly to MINCK? Either way, I just need to load the approach settings, take off, turn on autopilot and let the AP do the rest? What altitude did you fly on the route? Did you set your cruise height in the autopilot? Anything else I should know?

Hit the CDI button to switch the navigation data source from GPS to LOC when you are on approach.

As for altitude, I try to match the altitude listed on the airport’s “plate.”

And yes, I am cruising on AP at a cruising altitude when the localizer is intercepted. The localizer automatically takes control of the AP (so to speak) at that point.

Sorry for the multiple posts but one more:

On this plate for an ILS runway at Phoenix, you’ll see a waypoint called TESLE. The plate shows a target altitude for TESLE of 7,000 feet. I try to hit TESLE at 7,000 feet.

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2102/pdf/00322IL7R.PDF

Yes, I set up the flight plan on the World Map for KWVI to KMRY RWY 10R via GPS. In the plane, selecting the Approach from the PROC button on the Garmin adds waypoints to your last waypoint for the Approach. Your only problem was getting the cursor to come back on to select LOAD or ACTIVATE. If you get that to work you are all set. Did you try pushing the “cursor” button again?

As for altitude, I just flew the altitude of the first waypoint on the Approach since it’s all over water and there is nothing to run into.

Take off, fly the magenta line by hand or GPS and the Garmin will switch to the ILS after MINCK.

Hit the CDI button to switch the navigation data source from GPS to LOC when you are on approach.

As for altitude, I try to match the altitude listed on the airport’s “plate.”

Thanks again. My problem is the "on approach" part. If I set and follow a GPS flight plan from KWVI to KMRY in the World map, I arrive at or near the downwind landing-pattern leg, inland of the coast and north (left) of RWY 10R. Is that where you've started your AP-guided ILS approach? Or do you set the flight plan to KMRY in the Garmin (selecting RWY 10R , etc. in the PROC screen) once you're in the cockpit at Watsonville instead of doing it in the World map first? I know there's a way to use the Garmin to set up a flight plan from the departure airport by searching for nearby airports in the Garmin and selecting one; I've seen this demonstrated in a YouTube video, but I haven't been able to get to it, despite a lot of mousing around.

Go ahead and do the flight plan in the World Map to KMRY RWY 10. On the ground at KWVI, go into the PROC screen and select the ILS RWY 10. In longer flight this part can be done in the air.

On takeoff you can either fly it by hand or select NAV in the AP and you’re all set...

Thanks again. My problem is the "on approach" part. If I set and follow a GPS flight plan from KWVI to KMRY in the World map, I arrive at or near the downwind landing-pattern leg, inland of the coast and north (left) of RWY 10R. Is that where you've started your AP-guided ILS approach? Or do you set the flight plan to KMRY in the Garmin (selecting RWY 10R , etc. in the PROC screen) once you're in the cockpit at Watsonville instead of doing it in the World map first? I know there's a way to use the Garmin to set up a flight plan from the departure airport by searching for nearby airports in the Garmin and selecting one; I've seen this demonstrated in a YouTube video, but I haven't been able to get to it, despite a lot of mousing around.

I don't claim this is the correct method, but it's just the method I use: I use GPS navigation to get as close as I can to a selected waypoint on the ILS plate for a given airport. As I approach it, I switch to ILS by using the G1000 to select which runway I am using. (I think this is realistic anyway, because ATC has to tell me which runway I will use; I can't decide that at take-off). I also make sure at this time that the NAV is dialed in to the correct frequency for that ILS runway (again, relying on the plate).

If I am on a final approach with no turns necessary, only then do I take two additional steps: (1) switch the navigation source from GPS to LOC using the CDI button, and (2) hitting the APPR button. Typically, that is the point at which the green "bug" shows up on the G1000 main monitor that tells me whether I am too high or too low, and in a matter of seconds locks in with my autopilot anyway so that I am no longer having to control my altitude.

I gave your exact route a shot so a few more comments:

Approaching KMRY, I see that waypoint ZEBED is 9.6 nm from the airport and waypoint MINCK is 5.9 nm from the airport. Those two points became my targets. I set course on my own for ZEBED. As I got a little closer (which happened quickly, this being a short flight) I used the G1000 to load ILS runway 10L. (I had to ignore ATC in doing this, because ATC refused to offer me 10L as an option. My landing will be illegal I guess). Activating the ILS approach at this point changed my route. My direct GPS route would have taken me straight to the airport. But upon activation of the ILS approach, my GPS changed my route so that I would be hitting the waypoints instead.

I had also noted, pre-flight, that waypoint MINCK had a required altitude of 1,700 feet.

So, I headed for ZEBED at a cruising altitude of 2,000 feet, knowing that I would have to get to 1,700 by the point I reached MINCK. At ZEBED and altitude 2,000, I hit the CDI button which converted my navigation source from GPS to LOC (you can see this change on the G1000, to confirm the source). In addition, once I was sure I was actually on course and in line with the runway, I hit the APR button. My location at this point is right around ZEBED. Upon hitting the CDI button, a green bug showed up on the G1000 main screen which indicated whether I was too high or too low--but I was still controlling my own altitude (using autopilot).

About 0.9 nm from waypoint MINCK, the interception with the localizer happened. Automatically. My autopilot and the localizer began communicating with each other on their own, I "felt" a bump in the plane as it locked on, and it began reducing altitude on its own.

Smooth sailing from that point on.

Edited by neilends

I've been going nuts too trying to get the Bonanza to do an ILS. This what (finally) worked for me today on a simple flight. I was using my local airport, EGNT RWY25, so I could accurately monitor what was going on.

From the north (nice area to fly round VFR) I headed down the coast with the AP using heading and altitude hold and descended to the first fix atltitude of 2000ft. I had the ILS/LOC tuned in on Nav1 and had identified it as correct, then selected Nav1 on the CDI - which showed me the localiser path was where I expected it to be. A few miles north of the extended runway centreline I pressed APP and the plane turned onto an intercept course with the G and glideslope diamond visible above my position - where it should be.

Apart from setting up ready for landing i.e. prop, throttle, flaps and gear, I did nothing else. Approaching the localiser the plane turned towards the runway then settled on the localiser. It then intercepted the glideslope and commenced the descent, all the way to the decision height when I interceded to do (for me) an absolute greaser landing!

An important note - it's normal practice to intercept the glideslope from below. When in previous attempts I tried from above the G/S it wouldn't catch it.

I write this out for you so you can try something similar at your "local". Hope it helps.

Sorry for the multiple posts but one more:

On this plate for an ILS runway at Phoenix, you’ll see a waypoint called TESLE. The plate shows a target altitude for TESLE of 7,000 feet. I try to hit TESLE at 7,000 feet.

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2102/pdf/00322IL7R.PDF

Thanks to all for the helpful tips. After several more tries today, I finally managed an ILS approach to RWY 10R at Monterey and nailed the landing. Then I continued on to KSJC entirely on AP, transitioning to the approach mode at the first straight-in waypoint/beacon to RWY 30L, but I screwed up when I took over and landed short, although on the runway. I'm still a bit shaky about the altitude stuff. Today I used my Logitech multi-panel AP to reduce my altitude to the "plate" flight level (per the chart) on arrival at that point in the descent. Then I should switch to approach mode and leave the rest to the AP until the last few hundred feet, regardless of what the AP altitude was previously set for, right? That seemed to work at SJC. I need to get good with the Garmin before I fly faster, more complex GA planes.

An important note - it's normal practice to intercept the glideslope from below. When in previous attempts I tried from above the G/S it wouldn't catch it.

I write this out for you so you can try something similar at your "local". Hope it helps.

Righto! I gotta remember that.

I found this article to be useful: https://jp-game.com/wiki/msfs2020-ils-landings-guide-garmin-1000/

I find that some airports in MSFS don't show ILS and departures even though they have them in real life. A good example is Heathrow. Another is Gatwick. I wonder if there is some glitch with airports in the UK?

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

I found this article to be useful: https://jp-game.com/wiki/msfs2020-ils-landings-guide-garmin-1000/

I find that some airports in MSFS don't show ILS and departures even though they have them in real life. A good example is Heathrow. Another is Gatwick. I wonder if there is some glitch with airports in the UK?

That made me curious so I just flew from Gatwick to Heathrow. The ILS is working fine at Heathrow, all 4 runways. Beautiful weather in London today!

Thanks for the link to the article. I printed it for reference. One good link deserves another. Here's a link to a detailed guide for every button/function in the G1000. I haven't printed this one yet because it's quite lengthy (26 8 1/2x11 sheets), and I'm low on printer paper. Still more lengthy at 54 pages is this PDF G1000 Pilot's Training Guide from Garmin. It seems that if we want our experience with MSFS 2020 to be "as real as it gets," we must learn how to use these new-fangled, 21st Century avionics.

If this video will open it could be helpful. Pictures are better than words.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s2Cv5ocLVe_Sre1P2uDSgAE5t9NoRHND/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, but it's evidently on your Google Drive, and Google says we need your permission to open it.