Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cached scenery question

After reading the post at the link I now wonder -

IS it possible to run FS2020 totally OFFLINE (including startup). Reason for question is that the internet cable connection to my house is currently down for 3 days (before technician can come) and when I tried it asked me to insert disk 1 (which I don't have as I purchased the download version).

I can create a hot spot with my mobile/cell phone and connect my PC to the internet via WiFi using the phone but only at 300Mbps AND my mobile/cell phone 'plan' only allows for 1GB internet downloads (per month). Maybe I only require that connection during startup and then disconnect the internet? What are my options? Thanks
    John
    Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666
    Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD
    Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Quote Originally Posted by jparnold View Post
    After reading the post at the link I now wonder -

IS it possible to run FS2020 totally OFFLINE (including startup). Reason for question is that the internet cable connection to my house is currently down for 3 days (before technician can come) and when I tried it asked me to insert disk 1 (which I don't have as I purchased the download version).

I can create a hot spot with my mobile/cell phone and connect my PC to the internet via WiFi using the phone but only at 300Mbps AND my mobile/cell phone 'plan' only allows for 1GB internet downloads (per month). Maybe I only require that connection during startup and then disconnect the internet? What are my options? Thanks
    In theory you should be able to run the sim fully offline without any connection at all after enabling the offline mode, and I have successfully done this before. However, with this latest incident with the Xbox servers, it didn't work. I suspect there is a bug somewhere in the chain, though it's hard to know whether it's on the sim side, or elsewhere with the Xbox services in Windows 10.

Using your phone as a hotspot to re-enable the offline mode may work. Although the offline mode has so far proven unreliable in my experience, and may only work the first time.

Thanks.
    I had forgotten about setting FS2020 for offline HOWEVER you need to run it first (to be able to set it) and as such impossible to set if you don't have the internet. It's a 'catch 22' situation. Damned annoying.
    John
    Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666
    Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD
    Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

My hope prior to sim release was that you would be able to cache everything in relation to how much HD space you could dedicate to it. That may have been a misunderstanding on my part but what we have right now is more than just a misunderstanding on my part I would think.

I was under the impression that World Update 3 had messed up the caching anyway. I've had my rolking and user caches turned off ever since I downloaded it.
    Ryzen 5600X, AM4, Zen+ 6 Core 12 thread
    Nvidia 3070 Founders edition 16 Gig RAM - Windows 10
    MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition
    Resolution 1920 x 1080

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12