Cached scenery question

Question about cached scenery-if I download/store an area of where I fly a LOT, will that scenery that is on my computer be used first (vs getting it off of the Internet), or is it used if I am in off line mode?
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Question about cached scenery-if I download/store an area of where I fly a LOT, will that scenery that is on my computer be used first (vs getting it off of the Internet), or is it used if I am in off line mode?

I believe it should be used first, regardless of whether you're in off-line mode or not. That's why we were advised to empty all caches when installing the latest World Update.

Tend not to fly much in the same areas so currently have nothing cached locally - but I understand there is currently a problem with local cache atm anyway, causes CTDs. Will have to check.

I believe it should be used first, regardless of whether you're in off-line mode or not. That's why we were advised to empty all caches when installing the latest World Update.

Tend not to fly much in the same areas so currently have nothing cached locally - but I understand there is currently a problem with local cache atm anyway, causes CTDs. Will have to check.

Hmm, did not know about deleting my cache. Not having any problems (yet), so I will leave as is :)

Was just curious which got used, thought it if used the local cache first that would reduce getting it online (making the scenery faster)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

At this point I don't think its even really caching anything except for maybe ground textures. There's not much point to it anyways as we have seen with the recent server crash most people cant start the game without it connecting to the server anyways.

So lets say your internet is out. Ok I can fly around my cached areas in MSFS while I wait for it to come up. NOPE. They promised an off line functionality but evidently what I call functionality and what MS calls functionality are two different things.

Edited by natman1965

They [Asobo] promised an off line functionality but evidently what I call functionality and what MS calls functionality are two different things.

Wish the flight sim community would band togethor and hold them accountable for the "Big Lie"

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Wish the flight sim community would band togethor and hold them accountable for the "Big Lie"

They have. See this thread on the flightsimulator.com forums: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/offline-flying-feature/364321

The official answer to this is that you need to configure Windows 10 to run games offline, as explained in this Xbox help guide: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/play-games-offline-on-windows-10-using-offline-mode

I just tried the above fix and it didn't work for me.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yeah, loki mentioned that months ago and I set mine up for offline also. Worked one time.

I think most users naturally want the best experience so they're not too concerned to be able to use it offline.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I think the sim probably would launch offline, every time, if Windows 10 worked properly. This seems to be a Windows 10 configuration issue rather than a bug in MSFS.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Summited report loki THANKS.

Wish you would create a sticky thread for this and leave it up for awhile

After reading the post at the link I now wonder -

IS it possible to run FS2020 totally OFFLINE (including startup). Reason for question is that the internet cable connection to my house is currently down for 3 days (before technician can come) and when I tried it asked me to insert disk 1 (which I don't have as I purchased the download version).

I can create a hot spot with my mobile/cell phone and connect my PC to the internet via WiFi using the phone but only at 300Mbps AND my mobile/cell phone 'plan' only allows for 1GB internet downloads (per month). Maybe I only require that connection during startup and then disconnect the internet? What are my options? Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

After reading the post at the link I now wonder -

IS it possible to run FS2020 totally OFFLINE (including startup). Reason for question is that the internet cable connection to my house is currently down for 3 days (before technician can come) and when I tried it asked me to insert disk 1 (which I don't have as I purchased the download version).

I can create a hot spot with my mobile/cell phone and connect my PC to the internet via WiFi using the phone but only at 300Mbps AND my mobile/cell phone 'plan' only allows for 1GB internet downloads (per month). Maybe I only require that connection during startup and then disconnect the internet? What are my options? Thanks

In theory you should be able to run the sim fully offline without any connection at all after enabling the offline mode, and I have successfully done this before. However, with this latest incident with the Xbox servers, it didn't work. I suspect there is a bug somewhere in the chain, though it's hard to know whether it's on the sim side, or elsewhere with the Xbox services in Windows 10.

Using your phone as a hotspot to re-enable the offline mode may work. Although the offline mode has so far proven unreliable in my experience, and may only work the first time.

Thanks.

I had forgotten about setting FS2020 for offline HOWEVER you need to run it first (to be able to set it) and as such impossible to set if you don't have the internet. It's a 'catch 22' situation. Damned annoying.

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

My hope prior to sim release was that you would be able to cache everything in relation to how much HD space you could dedicate to it. That may have been a misunderstanding on my part but what we have right now is more than just a misunderstanding on my part I would think.

I was under the impression that World Update 3 had messed up the caching anyway. I've had my rolking and user caches turned off ever since I downloaded it.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)